The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    INGO squaring off against the deep state bogeyman

nerd_01.gif

I didn't think Alpo was into LARPing...or green. But whatever.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Well. Just to refine the definition, it's a group of bureaucrats who secretly control or manipulate government in a coordinated way despite who is in power. What we have in this case are some individuals who were/are obviously working against this administration. But we're lacking the evidence that it's coordinated and that it would be doing its own thing regardless of the administration in power. I think the only common thread is individuals with TDS.

Yeah, I am using the 'deep-state' term as kind of the low-budget version of that. I am probably not using it correctly in the strict sense.
    I have been referring to a bunch of liberals in positions where neutrality is expected and called for, like in the alphabets. Being political activists when they can get away with it while attempting to maintain a facade of neutrality. More like water-cooler coordination than world-wide domination and control type stuff.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, I am using the 'deep-state' term as kind of the low-budget version of that. I am probably not using it correctly in the strict sense.
    I have been referring to a bunch of liberals in positions where neutrality is expected and called for, like in the alphabets. Being political activists when they can get away with it while attempting to maintain a facade of neutrality. More like water-cooler coordination than world-wide domination and control type stuff.

That speaks to T.Lex's complaint about not using words correctly.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    While something certainly can be said that there is evidence that some elements of the alphabets were coloring outside the ethical lines into political activism I don't see enough evidence that it was wide spread and coordinated enough to call it a "Deep State" undertaking.

That in no way detracts from the fact that there was an effort by a few in positions of authority within the Intelligence and FBI communities to discredit this President.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    That speaks to T.Lex's complaint about not using words correctly.

Exactly. Now, tell me, is the "OK" hand sign now a hate crime? I remember being cautioned on my first trip to Germany not to use that sign as it meant '*******'. But, if it is now a potential hate crime, you can see why I'm not willing to abide by trendy hip definitions and co-opting of phrases.

....although, I must admit, "Bye, Felicia" is one of my favorites when I can't use my true favorite "**** YOU!"

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think that OK sign thing totally depends on context.

I saw the vid of the Disney Gru character making that on the shoulder of a biracial kid. That sure looked to me like it was intentional. And, if it was intentional, then its fair to ask why. That one seemed racial.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I didn't think Alpo was into LARPing...or green. But whatever.

I'm not. I despise dressing up for any period in which the participants actually smelled worse than your average homeless person of today. I am also not fond of historical periods without indoor plumbing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Exactly. Now, tell me, is the "OK" hand sign now a hate crime? I remember being cautioned on my first trip to Germany not to use that sign as it meant '*******'. But, if it is now a potential hate crime, you can see why I'm not willing to abide by trendy hip definitions and co-opting of phrases.

....although, I must admit, "Bye, Felicia" is one of my favorites when I can't use my true favorite "**** YOU!"

The "ok" sign means a few things now. It, of course, means, "okay". It has a different meaning if you're playing the circle game. The latest meaning was taken over by pranksters who put it out there that it it's a white nationalist symbol that means white power. Of course that was nonsense, but the prank took hold, and then just to further troll the woke left, real ass white nationalists said, yeah. That's exactly what it means. And then they started using it.

What does it mean? T.Lex is...well, I'm not going to say he's right. But I'll say it this way. He's not completely full of **** that it kinda depends on context. It means "okay" to 99% of the people.

But it means what it means to the people who use it. So in some contexts, like child and adult kids, it's part of the circle game. And for some people who want to make a point of using it to troll the idiots, that's all it means. It means a trigger for idiots who are offended by it. And the rarest usage is the real ass white nationalists who use it to mean WP.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think that OK sign thing totally depends on context.

I saw the vid of the Disney Gru character making that on the shoulder of a biracial kid. That sure looked to me like it was intentional. And, if it was intentional, then its fair to ask why. That one seemed racial.
    It certainly appeared to be intentional to me as well and it is fair to ask why.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not. I despise dressing up for any period in which the participants actually smelled worse than your average homeless person of today. I am also not fond of historical periods without indoor plumbing.

A bit more about the use of "LARPing". It's really not meant as a pejorative towards people who like to participate in historical reenactments because it's just what some history buffs like to do. I think Indiucky does some of those, and when I lived in Missippi I had some friends who did some historical Civil War battle reinactments. I went to one and while it wasn't my kind of thing to do, as an observer and it was actually interesting to watch all the preparation and attention to historical detail. I mean, you really have to be into history to know all those details.

LARPing is more of a pejorative aimed at mocking people who view themselves as the hero. Like the dumb****s who paint #resistence on bridges in Louisville overpasses. They imagine themselves as grand freedom fighters sacrificing for the cause.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It certainly appeared to be intentional to me as well and it is fair to ask why.

Link? I don't think I've seen it. But, if it's intentional, I wouldn't assume it's intended to be racist. A lot of people are using that symbol to trigger "woke" culture. It's probably not very productive because people don't know their motives.

Like the dude who was kicked out of the Wrigley field earlier this year. Could have been that he's a racist. Could have been that he was just trying to trigger people. Or maybe playing the circle game, but on TV, I don't know how that would work. Most likely, he was just trolling his friends. But the Cubs when ape**** and banned him for life. **********s that they are.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Link? I don't think I've seen it. But, if it's intentional, I wouldn't assume it's intended to be racist. A lot of people are using that symbol to trigger "woke" culture. It's probably not very productive because people don't know their motives.

Like the dude who was kicked out of the Wrigley field earlier this year. Could have been that he's a racist. Could have been that he was just trying to trigger people. Or maybe playing the circle game, but on TV, I don't know how that would work. Most likely, he was just trolling his friends. But the Cubs when ape**** and banned him for life. **********s that they are.

99% likely to be a counter-culture thing. No real person uses that with "white power" motive. It's done, if at all, to poke at the idiots that screech about it.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I think LARPing originally started as a way for gamers to get exercise. These days of course other people grab terms/expressions/hand signs/whatever and say they mean anything they want.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    99% likely to be a counter-culture thing. No real person uses that with "white power" motive. It's done, if at all, to poke at the idiots that screech about it.

I read something months ago where some WN were now claiming the symbol. Not sure how seriously I take it. Nevertheless, it's quite rare I would think. **** the Cubs for canceling that dude.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqH7_XO-pmo

I dunno. In this situation, there's no one to trigger. Like, I could see that if you were in a counter-protest situation surrounded by liberal thought police, flashing it would be triggering.

But this was pretty subtle, but not SO subtle.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom