The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Heya guys, the overarching point (IMHO) is that the Senate rules on this are purposefully convoluted. The Senate - by design - can be a significant roadblock. This is the chamber where small states have just as much legitimacy as big states. It helps avoid tyranny of the majority, like a limited version of the executive veto.

The minority has those procedural hurdles as a protection.

If they are using that power productively is a political issue for their constituents to discern.

Nonobaddog is absolutely correct that the Senate minority is being obstructionist, and in ways I was unaware of.

That said, I don’t know that there has ever been a time that the Senate minority hasn’t been at least somewhat obstructionist. It’s kind of what they do. The Democrats problem is that they “nucularly” changed the rules on cloture to a simple majority on nominations so now they can’t prevent it. As a response, they are forcing the Republicans to force cloture on every NoM, instead of giving the traditional up down vote that noncontroversial nominations usually got, thereby delaying everything.

It’s a nasty form of gamemanship but nothing new. The Republicans played it to a great extent as well. At the end of the day though, it is much easier to force a nominee through today. A professor/friend of mine back during the Bush years had his nomination to the federal district courts sit for IIRC well over a year before he finally just withdrew it Since there didn’t appear to be any hope the Senate would ever take it up.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, these kind of machinations are what makes the whole thing comparable to sausage-making.

In other news, Todd Young is taking over the Senate efforts to elect/re-elect Republican senators next cycle. It'll be the inverse of this year, with 20+ Republican-incumbent seats at stake.

I hope he's up for the task. He's a decent enough guy, but I'm a bit worried. Ideally, he'll excel in the trench warfare kind of politics that will be necessary.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Yeah, these kind of machinations are what makes the whole thing comparable to sausage-making.

In other news, Todd Young is taking over the Senate efforts to elect/re-elect Republican senators next cycle. It'll be the inverse of this year, with 20+ Republican-incumbent seats at stake.

I hope he's up for the task. He's a decent enough guy, but I'm a bit worried. Ideally, he'll excel in the trench warfare kind of politics that will be necessary.

I am skeptical that the Republicans will be able to hold those seats, regardless of how good of a job Todd Young does.

I don’t think we are going to be able to sustain economic growth at the rate that we have been, particularly in the housing and student loan areas which appear due for a contraction.

A lot of it will also depend upon the Yuge guy, which is a complete wild card. I have no faith that anyone can accurately predict how successful or unsuccessful he will be.

If the last two years are in accurate indicator, I am rather looking forward to the Senate forcing through a bunch of solid federal judicial nominees.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh yeah, the nominee process should be much better.

On the legislative side, the Senate will still be an effective blocker for whatever really crazy stuff the House comes up with.

My real concern there will be the budgets. Lots of gov't shutdowns looming in our future, methinks.

In that regard, it seems like federal assistance for local law enforcement shouldn't be affected too much. As a totally random example, I'm not sure if federal grants are necessary to round up 100+ drug offenders, who then clog up the system for awhile. :)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Oh yeah, the nominee process should be much better.

On the legislative side, the Senate will still be an effective blocker for whatever really crazy stuff the House comes up with.

My real concern there will be the budgets. Lots of gov't shutdowns looming in our future, methinks.

In that regard, it seems like federal assistance for local law enforcement shouldn't be affected too much. As a totally random example, I'm not sure if federal grants are necessary to round up 100+ drug offenders, who then clog up the system for awhile. :)

I don’t know of any federal grants for that kind of stuff, I think they are mostly focused on equipment and an occasional dedicated task force position, usually in a metro area.

Don’t you guys have some sort of task force up there that was going after pill doctors? Down here, I think the only task force we really have is the auto theft one which comes down here sometimes.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don’t know of any federal grants for that kind of stuff, I think they are mostly focused on equipment and an occasional dedicated task force position, usually in a metro area.

Don’t you guys have some sort of task force up there that was going after pill doctors? Down here, I think the only task force we really have is the auto theft one which comes down here sometimes.

I haven't heard much from the Hamilton County Drug Task Force lately. The pill doctor thing was a debacle. Pretty sure at least 1 acquittal was had. That aspect burned some credibility.

Not sure how much federal funding came from that, anyway, unless you count the keep-what-you-confiscate angle.

(Which, by the way, is something Trump really SHOULD take a look at. That whole system is rigged. But, because the people are presumed guilty, the populace doesn't really care.)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    I haven't heard much from the Hamilton County Drug Task Force lately. The pill doctor thing was a debacle. Pretty sure at least 1 acquittal was had. That aspect burned some credibility.

Not sure how much federal funding came from that, anyway, unless you count the keep-what-you-confiscate angle.

(Which, by the way, is something Trump really SHOULD take a look at. That whole system is rigged. But, because the people are presumed guilty, the populace doesn't really care.)

Based off some of Clarence Thomas’s recent writings, I honestly think that the Supremes put a kink in that practice sooner rather than later. It would be nice to see them require some actual judicial process before people get deprived of their property by the executive.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The timeline would require a 2d term, but wouldn't that be ironic if the Trump Court used a Trump Administration forfeiture case to resolve the due process issue!

Of course, I'm absolutely NOT blaming Trump for this problem. No, those roots go much deeper.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The timeline would require a 2d term, but wouldn't that be ironic if the Trump Court used a Trump Administration forfeiture case to resolve the due process issue!

Of course, I'm absolutely NOT blaming Trump for this problem. No, those roots go much deeper.

It’s kind of “fun” to go back and read things like the Braintree Instructions and the other documents leading up to the Revolutionary war and see just what exactly their due process grievances with the Crown were.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Based off some of Clarence Thomas’s recent writings, I honestly think that the Supremes put a kink in that practice sooner rather than later. It would be nice to see them require some actual judicial process before people get deprived of their property by the executive.

I just listened to a couple of podcast episodes this week that concentrated on the pretty seizure aspects of “the war on drugs”. A county in GA was known to patrol I-95 very closely for drug runners. Oddly enough, they focused more on the southbound traffic. They didn’t try to interdict the drugs, which were northbound. They were all about seizing the cash, which was southbound.

If you’re interested it’s Undisclosed, Season 3, Episode 15 and 15 Addendum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-slams-fox-221742495.html
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Slams Fox News For Laughing At Her DC Rent Problem

She doesn't get it.
    People aren't laughing at her for not being rich.
    They're laughing at her because she can't figure her own money out, and now she wants to tell us how we should spend our money.

Just to add to this...
    I don't knock anyone with a job. Janitor or garbage collector. They are working to pay rent and feed themselves.
    BUT.. when people take it upon themselves to decide they'd know better what to do with my money.. that's what I knock.

EMDX6043

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2015
    Hammond
    I've got a better plan for her, ten years ago. No tax dollars required.

513wj6EnEnL._SL300_.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/hillary-will-run-again-1541963599

WSJ basically endorsing HRC for a POTUS run in 2020.

Notwithstanding a couple failures of logic within the article itself, that would be a truly horrendous exercise for the DNC. Sure, Trump's numbers aren't great in the traditional sense, but coming off the midterms in which he flexed his political muscle and proved he had his own national machine, the Dems would be handing him another 4 years (if he wants it).

The only thing that MIGHT make sense is that they think HRC can beat Pence. And I'm even dubious of that.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The DNC just needs to deny any candidate debate and say hitlary is the choice.

They will just be wasting resources and causing strife in the various factions of the dem party.
    It would be better for them in the long run to get everyone on board early.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The DNC just needs to deny any candidate debate and say hitlary is the choice.

They will just be wasting resources and causing strife in the various factions of the dem party.
    It would be better for them in the long run to get everyone on board early.

The coast-centric/fly-over-country-denying tone of that article is insightful. If she pursues that strategy again, the midwestern Dems (who, generally, are pretty reasonable people IMHO), will be left looking for another option. Or just stay home after the primary.

But, the national party may just be that myopic.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom