Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There should be an analog to Godwin's Law related to dragging 'it will be your gun rights next' into these discussions. Oy

... That's not the context I was using that example in. I used it because it's relatable to us. Here's a different one:

I'd rather have cars and put up with the risk of them than not have them.
    I'd rather have airplanes and put up with the risk of them than not have them.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    On the same page now. Yes I could see violent game playing and the drug business mixed, but I would like to see the numbers broken down.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    ... That's not the context I was using that example in. I used it because it's relatable to us. Here's a different one:

I'd rather have cars and put up with the risk of them than not have them.
    I'd rather have airplanes and put up with the risk of them than not have them.

Years ago I was told that if it flies, floats or *****, you are better off renting. I didn't pay any attention.:)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What I would want to see is the drug related numbers broken out before looking at the rest. It's a violent business and gets nastier every year. These incidences are related to money and power so we shouldn't include them in making an evaluation about the influence of video games. Back in my day we played cops/robbers, cowboy/indians, army, etc., we didn't have video games. Academics today would probably regard that as violent behavior.

We all wanted to be the good guys, being the bad guy was for losers, like being picked last when picking teams...

Very few movies and TV made heroes out of mobsters, (Godfather, Sopranos) drug dealers, (Breaking Bad) thugs, (Scarface) and the like before the 70's.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    We all wanted to be the good guys, being the bad guy was for losers, like being picked last when picking teams...

Very few movies and TV made heroes out of mobsters, (Godfather, Sopranos) drug dealers, (Breaking Bad) thugs, (Scarface) and the like before the 70's.

Right! In very early TV all the stars were good guys.
    Roy Rogers, Superman, Matt Dillon, Lassie, Beaver, Gene Autry, Cisco Kid, Joe Friday, Ben Cartwright, Ozzie Nelson.
    Then we got 'sophisticated'.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Help me out here, I don't know the terms "little zetas" or " FPS games". Old age and living in the woods has it's good points, but modern words and terms get by me.

Now there is a truth! Don't need no study, no data, no analysis.
    I treasure my time at the cabin up north, it is good for the soul.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There are so many other variables involved I don't think ANY correlation is valid.
    This! Everyone wants to make the thing they don’t like the cause. Everyone wants to make the thing they love the cure. It’s probably not that video games take violence out of the person. Likely if there’s any causal element at all, it’s more to do with basement dwelling.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This! Everyone wants to make the thing they don’t like the cause. Everyone wants to make the thing they love the cure. It’s probably not that video games take violence out of the person. Likely if there’s any causal element at all, it’s more to do with basement dwelling.

Thank goodness I was raised in a house on a slab. It spared me from criminal insanity.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Right, and there seem to be several casual elements that come together in the majority of the situations. Humans have developed an intuition to protect themselves by assessing these casual elements and acting on that intuition.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    GPIA 2020: GO POTTY

EOxMekkXsAEXzzn

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Forget which pet I talked to first this morning. If it was one of the dogs: Doggy 2020 Let's go out and go potty
    If it was the cat: Doggy 2020 You're da bestest kitty in da world.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom