• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There are lots of old stories of hunters with Winchester 92s loaded with those old 32-20 loads dropping deer and black bear. For a cartridge that started out as a BP loading in the original Winchester 1873 it's come a long way and is still around today. Excellent brass available from Midway.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Going to have me a new project hopefully. Just waitin on ole boy to pm me back.
    Saweeeet!
    I really hope you get it.

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I don't know if you reload or cast bullets, but a 92 clone will take some serious power for the small cartridge that a .357 is. Hunting with 160-185 grain cast bullets will get complete pass through on a deer. I load those for my son, my old 92 is in 44-40, which does a good job with cast as well.
    +1. 168 jsp is a nasty little deer round. I've had some not pass through, but mostly because they hit bone or heavy cartilage.

I have a 20" oct bbl in a Rossi. It's a super fun gun.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    +1. 168 jsp is a nasty little deer round. I've had some not pass through, but mostly because they hit bone or heavy cartilage.

That's a nice rifle, I've heard good things about their 92 clones. As I remember Rossi makes those even in 454 Casull.

Cast will usually shatter bone on it's way through, that and all the silver skin one of the reasons I don't get much meat from the front end of a deer.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Back in the day before .357, ammo companies loaded 32-20, an early speedy cartridge, to the moon for use in the Model 92. Folks wanting to translate that to the revolvers of the day were the the inspiration of the Robert Johnson blues song about the 32-20. A lot of Smiths and Colts were shaken to pieces, and ammo companies ended that practice. Those loads did work well in old Model 92s though, like this SRC in 32-20.
    Elmer Keith's first Colt was a 7.5" 32-20. I think his love for it bore the .357 magnum.

His books are great. I need to reread them, and get the ones I haven't.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Doesnt seem like it. Unfortunately the guy read it about an hour ago and never got back to me. Oh well, id really prefer a Rossi, Marlin, or new side load Henry.
    I got mine from 256 Sport Garden in Scott Co. Not sure if he's still around. Haven't been that way in many moon. He always had a nice selection of levers of all make.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    Applied on a garage floor I don't know. I worked on a project evaluating strengthening wood veneer using them and they weren't much more than bisphenol-A epoxy with the benefit of being UV resistant. I'm pretty sure they are applied at 100% solids as well so limited smell and faster filling of irregularities in the floor.

Back in the day I finished garage floors and plane hangers with bisphenol-A epoxy, polyaspartics were not available, would have used those if possible.
    All of this just went over my head. Time for the google-fu and see what I can come up with. Sounds expensive. Thanks LE, I'll check it out.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Doesnt seem like it. Unfortunately the guy read it about an hour ago and never got back to me. Oh well, id really prefer a Rossi, Marlin, or new side load Henry.
    In my experience, best to wait for exactly what you want. :twocents:

Can't go wrong with any of those three.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I got mine from 256 Sport Garden in Scott Co. Not sure if he's still around. Haven't been that way in many moon. He always had a nice selection of levers of all make.
    Ill have to give them a call. Thats about a 4 hour haul one way for me.
    In my experience, best to wait for exactly what you want. :twocents:

Can't go wrong with any of those three.
    Same, but its hard to find a bad 92 knock off in my experience.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana

Are we twins ? Here's mine !

i-2Fm8GH7-XL.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom