• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Not to take away from his kill count, but tactics were a little diffrent back then. I could see that battlefield now.

( In my best Russian accent)
    Comrad, your head just exploded... what happ........................................

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    give me 1 million people to shoot at and i think i could do pretty well.. that being said, he is a pretty bad ass mofo. it just makes you think what normal people are capable of in certain situations.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    give me 1 million people to shoot at and i think i could do pretty well.. that being said, he is a pretty bad ass mofo. it just makes you think what normal people are capable of in certain situations.
    1 million people that also have guns to shoot back at you?
    I'd prefer 1 or 2 at a time...

It's remarkable that he had so many confirmed kills in such a short period of time without being detected and killed (I realize that he was detected and shot 1 week before the end of the war). This guy had to shoot over 7 people per day to get the kill-count he has and that is truly remarkable.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Not tryin' to jack the thread but........
    My personal favorite will always be Carlos Hathcock, even though he may not have had the numbers, he was a hard working blue coller sniper.

1133204291_334274af7c.jpg

YouTube - Carlos Hathcock

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Although the number of Russians he shot in combat is obviously impressive, it is the conditions in which the Winter War was fought that make the Finns as a whole so impressive. I can't imagine going out day after day in -20 to -50 F temps to march, fight, and work. IMO every one of those Finns were complete badasses regardless if they were great shots or not. I know I know, "but they were used to the cold". I don't care if you are Santa Claus. No one is used to fighting day after day in those temps. The Finns knew the ways to help live and work in the cold, but they still had to be out in it and remain effective. Can you imagine laying in the snow on a "chilly" -40F morning and sitting motionless for an hour waiting for a shot at a Russian sentry. If you read the text of the linked Wiki page, he would keep snow in his mouth to prevent his breath from showing in the cold air. As if he needed a little extra bit of badassedness.

staten42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    +1 on Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills. The same author has written a follow up that is called Silent Warrior (i think) that is just as good! This guy was truly amazing! He's been my hero ever since I read about him the first time!

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Although the number of Russians he shot in combat is obviously impressive, it is the conditions in which the Winter War was fought that make the Finns as a whole so impressive. I can't imagine going out day after day in -20 to -50 F temps to march, fight, and work. IMO every one of those Finns were complete badasses regardless if they were great shots or not. I know I know, "but they were used to the cold". I don't care if you are Santa Claus. No one is used to fighting day after day in those temps. The Finns knew the ways to help live and work in the cold, but they still had to be out in it and remain effective. Can you imagine laying in the snow on a "chilly" -40F morning and sitting motionless for an hour waiting for a shot at a Russian sentry. If you read the text of the linked Wiki page, he would keep snow in his mouth to prevent his breath from showing in the cold air. As if he needed a little extra bit of badassedness.

That was Celsius not Fahrenheit!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    That was Celsius not Fahrenheit!
    So that makes it -4 to -58 degrees F. Still pretty freaking cold if you ask me. It is very rare that Indiana sees negative temps, let alone would somebody go out and lay in the snow in those temps for hours with snow in their mouth. And that is the warmer end of the range, -58 F forget that... I couldn't do it.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    So that makes it -4 to -58 degrees F. Still pretty freaking cold if you ask me. It is very rare that Indiana sees negative temps, let alone would somebody go out and lay in the snow in those temps for hours with snow in their mouth. And that is the warmer end of the range, -58 F forget that... I couldn't do it.

Thats what I mean. Celsius is a lot colder. To hell with all that noise. I'd be at HQ next to a huge fire!

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    Hmmm.... You learn something everyday. Good ole google verified that for me! I didn't pay much attention in school when It came to conversion of temperature! :D

That's one of those factoids that makes it's way into your long term memory and doesn't leave. Between that and the fact that 1C=1.8F, you can convert between the two temperature scales with paper. If you're doing it in your head, I just use 2 instead of 1.8, it's close enough for Earthly practical purposes.

Top Bottom