• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Uh, we took Hall and Oats, as well as Michael McDonald and Tina Marie in the 1987 Racial Draft, I believe. That year ya'll got Charley Pride, and Nat King Cole if memory serves. lol

That made Vanilla Ice an undrafted free agent, IIRC.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    OK, I think I will uncork this on here. It's time for a little "hate Mongo" time.

If we are to get past our herd instincts and truly become the great people most of us think we already are, we need to be sensitive to both sides of the double edged sword which is truth.

One of the first is: for us all to have "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" will always require us to take away either/or someone else's "life, liberty and pursuit of happiness".

Mongo, I won't spread any hate to you, but I did want to address this, because I can see you put a lot of time and thought into it. If I'm reading what you wrote correctly, I must disagree with your premise that I bolded above. And I'm going to explain it by an example: Toilet Paper.

The man that brought toilet paper to the masses, as in affordable, mass production, became very rich. Before that people used corn cobs, Sears, Roebuck catalogs, etc... He did not get rich at the expense of the people who bought his product, nor did he take away their life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness. In fact, he enhanced their pursuit of happiness, because they now had clean bottoms. The fact that he became very rich is a by-product of the free market system, and I'm sure he went on to invest his wealth into many productive ventures, as well as employing many hundreds of thousands of people over the years. It's called creating wealth; a concept not unique to the United States, but that we've done very well for a long time. I do not hold it against the man who creates wealth, while at the same time enhancing everyone's life around him. If you expand this concept to all the many life-enhancing products we use every day, you can see that the pursuit of happiness (in this case, wealth) does not have to come at the expense of anyone else, and often times helps everyone on the planet.

I know your post was more comprehensive than this little bit I've responded to, and I will re-read your post for more understanding. If I misread how you meant the bold part above, my apologies in advance.

Regards,

Steve

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Mongo, I won't spread any hate to you, but I did want to address this, because I can see you put a lot of time and thought into it. If I'm reading what you wrote correctly, I must disagree with your premise that I bolded above. And I'm going to explain it by an example: Toilet Paper.

The man that brought toilet paper to the masses, as in affordable, mass production, became very rich. Before that people used corn cobs, Sears, Roebuck catalogs, etc... He did not get rich at the expense of the people who bought his product, nor did he take away their life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness. In fact, he enhanced their pursuit of happiness, because they now had clean bottoms. The fact that he became very rich is a by-product of the free market system, and I'm sure he went on to invest his wealth into many productive ventures, as well as employing many hundreds of thousands of people over the years. It's called creating wealth; a concept not unique to the United States, but that we've done very well for a long time. I do not hold it against the man who creates wealth, while at the same time enhancing everyone's life around him. If you expand this concept to all the many life-enhancing products we use every day, you can see that the pursuit of happiness (in this case, wealth) does not have to come at the expense of anyone else, and often times helps everyone on the planet.

I know your post was more comprehensive than this little bit I've responded to, and I will re-read your post for more understanding. If I misread how you meant the bold part above, my apologies in advance.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve. I get your point and I was thinking more on the lines as our stance as a country rather than the individual but we can work on that level as well.

We can all want the happy ending like the TP guy and hope for a win/win. But what about the large amount of chemicals and heavy metals used to transform stiff wood into supple paper. Things like mercury, strong alkaline products and builders for detergent carriers. Most of which were not used out of necessity but either because it was simply cheaper, faster or just made the product easier to work with or sell.

When I was young just about every ripple in every stream had meringue quality suds swirling around in them because of a saturation of builders used to make suds last longer.

Now I am not saying TP was the only guilty party which received the end products that motivated to use more and more "less environmentally friendly" agents.

The old out house rule was to use two red cobs then use a white cob to see if you need to use another red. I agree there seems to be no joy to be found in this but it is 100% biodegradable.

This is a weak response to your example and I don't want to come of as if I believe TP is without merit. Sure, the paper in the Sears catalog would also have used the same chemicals. I just wish to show it wasn't without cost. I also wish to point out it was the prevailing opinion of the time to simply dilute harmful compounds, cross your fingers and hope for the best. This lack of foresight cost us all in the long run, not at all like the concept of "this is us, that is you and we come first" that fills our history books. Terrible things have been accomplished under the cover of security and national pride. And what goes around tends to come around. And that is my fear.

If we went back to those people who were working in the paper industry at that time and asked them if they would rather have soft, fluffy, absorbent, snow white paper for their butts (and a paycheck) or safe drinking water for all the generations to come, I am sure the vote would not be 100% either way. But if we look back on it in a historical view, who would be the better steward of what they had been given? Hmmm.

Thanks again.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A lie as an intentional act to mislead or deceive? Absolutely. There's nothing in her statement that leads me to believe that was her intent.

Some models of intent-detectors are less ideologically selective. You could probably trade up to one.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It does seem like she was trying to establish her bonafides.
    It’s all about the cred man. Wait until she gets torpedoed for marrying a white dude. She’s already been questioned about it in a recent interview.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What I do find interesting is that those that support the current administration, seem very eager to call Harris a liar, over this, when they can't seem to call out the other guys lies. I assume they either can't keep up, don't think it all that important, or they actually believe them.
    For instance:
    -How much has the wall Trump built? Hint: using whole numbers, it's less than 1
    -Did crime start going down in El Paso after their wall was built? Hint: It's the opposite of "yes."
    -Is Mexico paying for a wall? Hint: Only if most US citizens hold dual-citizenship with Mexico
    -Is Russia is unhappy about the US leaving Syria? Hint: Putin may be playing 4D chess when he applauded the move
    -Has the president released his tax returns? Hint: They're coming, when? Well we can't say for sure.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What I do find interesting is that those that support the current administration, seem very eager to call Harris a liar, over this, when they can't seem to call out the other guys lies...

It seems like you're saying it's OK for everyone to lie because Trumps lied.

...and frankly, I was waiting for that.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    How so? Rappers existed well before she was in college, she could have just as easily said she listened to Run DMC and LL Cool J.
    Had that been her response, I would have believed that she actually did listen to rap in college. Just a " not cool" person trying to portray herself as a "cool" person to seem more relatable and likable. Nerdy, boring, straight laced people have been doing it for a while I suspect. Either way, I agree, non issue... kinda funny though.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What I do find interesting is that those that support the current administration, seem very eager to call Harris a liar, over this, when they can't seem to call out the other guys lies. I assume they either can't keep up, don't think it all that important, or they actually believe them.
    For instance:
    -How much has the wall Trump built? Hint: using whole numbers, it's less than 1
    -Did crime start going down in El Paso after their wall was built? Hint: It's the opposite of "yes."
    -Is Mexico paying for a wall? Hint: Only if most US citizens hold dual-citizenship with Mexico
    -Is Russia is unhappy about the US leaving Syria? Hint: Putin may be playing 4D chess when he applauded the move
    -Has the president released his tax returns? Hint: They're coming, when? Well we can't say for sure.

hy·poc·ri·sy
    noun
    the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

You misunderstand. Speaking as a bona fide Trumper, I can tell you I know my guy plays fast and loose with the truth sometimes, but then I never claimed he was 100% fact-checkable

What is so delish is seeing/reading all the HTTs that decried lack of truthfulness and 'but Obama' fall on that sword and defend lack of truthfulness and 'but Trump' when it's someone from their tribe

I expected nothing different

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom