• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    Wow. Has everyone forgotten the IPL scandal so soon? He made millions while men and women who worked all their lives were deprived of their retirements with no notice of a sale?

He is a politician. Those in the know will profit those outside the circle will continue to swing hammers

How soon people forget.

IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    Money Talks

Has everyone forgotten that when the feds waved money under Mitch`s nose he sold us out with a seat belt law for pick ups? I assure you if Obama offered the right price he would sell us out with a gun registration.
    A lot of gun owners are blindly loyal to Mitch for signing the Lifetime handgun license bill.

Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    I`m sorry but I still believe in government of the people by the people. Dismantling local government and governing from the top down is a horrible idea.

Removing the township system is not about dismantling local gov't, it's about taking unwanted gov't away from the municipalities. The majority of tax revenue taken in by Calumet Township comes from the Town of Griffith, but the majority of the tax dollars support unincorporated Cal Township. I don't see that as dismantling local gov't. It's removing a fiscal drain on the community.

IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    Removing the township system is not about dismantling local gov't, it's about taking unwanted gov't away from the municipalities. The majority of tax revenue taken in by Calumet Township comes from the Town of Griffith, but the majority of the tax dollars support unincorporated Cal Township. I don't see that as dismantling local gov't. It's removing a fiscal drain on the community.

Let`s see tax money collected in the township stayed in the township. Hmmmmmmmmm your poroblem is?

Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Let`s see tax money collected in the township stayed in the township. Hmmmmmmmmm your poroblem is?

My problem is paying taxes and not getting a return on it. Let me break this down for you: Calumet Township consists of Griffith, Gary, and unincorporated Calumet Township. Total population of approximately 125,000. Gary has a population of approximately 98,000, Griffith has a population of approximately 17,000, the rest are in unincorporated Cal Township. Griffith receives the least from township services, which makes sense considering population figures. However, Griffith pays the most to the township.

See the problem now?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    If your county is bankrupt it isn't because of Mitch. The state has with held or slow paid counties under EVERY administration for decades, some more than others. The county option taxes being voted in now are because of the property tax short falls that are showing up in counties (a lot of them...but tellingly not all) after the caps were voted in. County govs. find that voting in more taxes is easier than cutting bloated bureaucracy and services.services. Oh yeah, I believe I read not too long ago that we (IN) were one of only a couple states NOT running a deficit...Oh yeah we leased that toll road for BILLIONS! HAHAHA we aren't paying for salt to keep it open either! He will get my vote again. He is MY ***** MITCH!

Agreed on all points. The guy has done an awesome job. Also worth noting,one of my best friends works for ISP. He has spent some time in and around Mitches home on security detail. He tells me that Mitch is a genuinely nice guy who cares about people and is just a normal guy.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    The bottom line is that government is bloated. Cutting is good. We'll all be surprised at how much government we can live without.

The township system needs to go away. It is just a way for local thugs to keep control of their fiefdom's.

You'd be amazed at how much money Knight Township Trustee's Office spends on people - even people who don't live in Knight Township - on drugs, mostly painkillers, for people who can't 'afford' them... It's at least $14,000 per month on average (sometimes edging toward $15k), and that's at but one pharmacy - true, I'm not sure how many accept Township vouchers, but even so, that amount right there is pretty ridiculous. Center Township does the same thing, although to a much lesser extent, if I recall point-of-sale properly. I'm all for people who truly can't afford expensive medicines getting help when/if they need it. I'm not for writing blank checks to druggies who get painkillers. But I digress from that subject, lest I never stop...

Townships need to be done away with - this isn't 1816 anymore, and the township model stopped being a useful or even viable way of doing things ever since population exploded in this State a century ago. Down with townships.

Glock22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Bedford
    You'd be amazed at how much money Knight Township Trustee's Office spends on people - even people who don't live in Knight Township - on drugs, mostly painkillers, for people who can't 'afford' them... It's at least $14,000 per month on average (sometimes edging toward $15k), and that's at but one pharmacy - true, I'm not sure how many accept Township vouchers, but even so, that amount right there is pretty ridiculous. Center Township does the same thing, although to a much lesser extent, if I recall point-of-sale properly. I'm all for people who truly can't afford expensive medicines getting help when/if they need it. I'm not for writing blank checks to druggies who get painkillers. But I digress from that subject, lest I never stop...

Townships need to be done away with - this isn't 1816 anymore, and the township model stopped being a useful or even viable way of doing things ever since population exploded in this State a century ago. Down with townships.
    If you think Townships are so antiquated and that their system needs to be done away with maybe you should ask Mitch Daniels how well his new high-tech welfare system worked. It did not and there became and enormous margin of error and welfare fraud has sored since he changed the system. He had to eat crow recently and admit that it did not work. Townships actually have a much smaller margin for error and they investigate what the clients tell them, they do not just take their word for it. Our society is plagued with those who want a hand out and not a hand up. The Township system is designed to give a hand up as temporary crisis assistance. You cannot guage the entire system by much larger Townships in highly populated areas. Townships are a very small sliver of the taxpayer pie in comparison to other social service areas administered by the state.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If you think Townships are so antiquated and that their system needs to be done away with maybe you should ask Mitch Daniels how well his new high-tech welfare system worked. It did not and there became and enormous margin of error and welfare fraud has sored since he changed the system.

What about the new BMV "high-tech" system? Any complaints there?

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I wish he had his time change where the sun does not shine, Others I know have issues with leasing the toll road. Other than that I think he's done a good job

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    For all the blasting he's taken on the toll road, there is a guy who sat in for Rush talking about the government running things. They were running an off track betting facility in New York and couldn't make a profit. Also, they took over the Bunny Ranch and couldn't turn a profit there. Can't find a source right off the bat. But if they can't run a whorehouse and make a profit, how are they going to make a profit on a toll road, health care, etc?

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Actually the Indiana toll road always showed a profit and was the best road in Indiana, provided a lot of monies to the counties it ran through also.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Actually the Indiana toll road always showed a profit and was the best road in Indiana, provided a lot of monies to the counties it ran through also.

Nonsense, the little profit was much tinier than the value of what was paid. Hoosiers took that company for all it was worth. And this is after a toll increase.

Barron's

There are merits to infrastructure investing because highways, ports, airports and even parking garages are long-lived assets with revenue that's usually fairly predictable. As with any investment, however, price is critical. Pay 30, 40 or 60 times revenue for even a great asset, and returns are apt to be poor. For the Indiana Toll Road, Macquarie and Cintra anted up a stunning 40 times trailing annual revenue, and 60 times a measure of annual cash flow called earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (Ebitda).
    It was one of the most illogical prices paid for any major piece of transportation infrastructure during the bubble period of 2005 to 2007, but it wasn't the only example. Other U.S. toll roads bought for inflated prices include the Chicago Skyway and the Dulles Greenway in Virginia, also bought by Macquarie.

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I`m 45 extremely conservative and former GOP chairman. I know why I don`t like him.

What county do you live in? My county is broke thanks to Mitch witholding funds that normally are returned to the counties. Now we are facing a County Option income tax to make up the deficit our county employeees haven`t had a pay increase in over 2 years.

No pay raise? You poor thing. Most of us working stiffs are pretty happy to have a job at all right now. In case you haven't heard, we are in the middle of the Great Recession. When you get a pay increase, the rest of us get a pay decrease. You know, taxes. Something doesn't tell me you are "very conservative." Your sentiments sound a lot like the Porter County GOP: Big Government supporters.

Time zones, toll roads, & parks, OH MY! What an awful place to live. Tell us which governor you would prefer over Mitch.

IronHorseman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Fort Branch
    No pay raise? You poor thing. Most of us working stiffs are pretty happy to have a job at all right now. In case you haven't heard, we are in the middle of the Great Recession. When you get a pay increase, the rest of us get a pay decrease. You know, taxes. Something doesn't tell me you are "very conservative." Your sentiments sound a lot like the Porter County GOP: Big Government supporters.

Time zones, toll roads, & parks, OH MY! What an awful place to live. Tell us which governor you would prefer over Mitch.

I work for a window manufacturer, unless you are puttinbg new windows in your house my raises don`t affect you.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I see I have misread your post which led me to believe you were a county employee.

The I still am not saddened by hearing that they have not received their pay raises, while millions of others who drive the economy are losing jobs left and right. They have more job security than you or I do. They will have to live with what they are earning now.

Top Bottom