• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Takes a lot of self-control and patience to wait that long to play a triple-A game.

Just saw a couple of my Steam friends finally start playing things like Portal, or Skyrim. Can't imagine how they waited so long.

Edit: Unrelated

QT2dhjc.png

I think that belongs in the Sad But True pic thread...

I'm still loving Dragon Age Inquistion, but so far I have NO interest in buying their overpriced DLC that adds little content to the game. Currently I mostly play the multiplayer, because the new content for it is released for free, and the new character type, the Silent Sister, is a total badass...

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Takes a lot of self-control and patience to wait that long to play a triple-A game.

Just saw a couple of my Steam friends finally start playing things like Portal, or Skyrim. Can't imagine how they waited so long.
    I just got Skyrim (with all DLC) last month :D For me it's just cost/benefit. It makes more sense to get the same enjoyment when the price is lower and you get more. Delayed gratification FTW :D

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just got Skyrim (with all DLC) last month :D For me it's just cost/benefit. It makes more sense to get the same enjoyment when the price is lower and you get more. Delayed gratification FTW :D

Definitely get a lot more bang for your buck if you have the patience to wait it out for a good sale.

I think that belongs in the Sad But True pic thread...

Similar to this one from John Bain (TotalBiscuit):

W5ilaun.png

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Definitely get a lot more bang for your buck if you have the patience to wait it out for a good sale.
    Not so much patience as absolute lack of time. I'm working 12+ hours days atm, then coming home and getting the house ready for guests over football season so spare time is a premium

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not so much patience as absolute lack of time. I'm working 12+ hours days atm, then coming home and getting the house ready for guests over football season so spare time is a premium

I wish I had more discipline when it comes to buying games. I have such a backlog of stuff I simply haven't had time to play... but still had to buy early because reasons.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I wish I had more discipline when it comes to buying games. I have such a backlog of stuff I simply haven't had time to play... but still had to buy early because reasons.
    Oh I still have games that I need to finish (Saint's Row 1, Metro 2033, and lots more) but a lot of that it because of free games with the Xbox every month :D

They need to expand. There's so much more historical content that they could exploit.
    Yup. Instead of near-future-robot-jumping-suits

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Hi All.. I'm just joining this thread.
    I'm a PC - Steam member. Feel free to look up my ID: JonnieWalkerBlk

Lately I've been big into Witcher3, 7 Days to Die, and APB Reloaded. Borderlands series is always a fav, as well as Fallouts, FarCrys, and Elder Scrolls.
    Taking a break from Minecraft... but I know I will get sucked back in.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

So many games I got on sale and never finished... lol. Did finish Witcher 3 last week, almost done with Dragon Age Inquisition, and had all the main quests done in Skyrim ages ago...

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    IMO they run into a problem when they expand into any area of history without definite good guys and bad guys. Overseas markets tend to care a bit more when you represent, say, the Chinese as the horrible evil dudes who need to be gunned down by the hundreds. Nazis and terrorists are much safer.
    Another big problem is the lack of pacing in the game. They just try and keep ramping up the tempo with ever increasing run-n-gun twitch shooting

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Although I know it would play heck with traditional game balance, I'd love to see an FPS designed around the Napoleonic era, complete with extended (say 10 seconds or so) reload times that might require alternative tactics etc. I agree, the focus on ever speedier and adrenaline-fueled twitch gaming seems to be killing that genre.
    Would an FPS be the best format for that type of game, or would an RTS be better with more focus on tactics.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Although I know it would play heck with traditional game balance, I'd love to see an FPS designed around the Napoleonic era, complete with extended (say 10 seconds or so) reload times that might require alternative tactics etc. I agree, the focus on ever speedier and adrenaline-fueled twitch gaming seems to be killing that genre.

Well they do try to address that somewhat in FPS games at times... Been on a small BF4 binge lately, and if you check weapon stats, pump shotguns have better stability and hip fire control, but at expense of increased reload times. The more capacity, the longer the reload... (a full reload on the KSG is ridiculous!) Tactical mag changes take less time that reload from empty...

The Assassins Creed games have a longer reload time with flintlock pistols, though still not historically accurate, and not a true Run-n-Gun FPS...

There is potential for a historically accurate FPS (recoil, reload time, accuracy, etc.) set further back... But I feel it would be a niche market, and with a small player base, large companies aren't going to want to put the time and effort of top billing into it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well they do try to address that somewhat in FPS games at times... Been on a small BF4 binge lately, and if you check weapon stats, pump shotguns have better stability and hip fire control, but at expense of increased reload times. The more capacity, the longer the reload... (a full reload on the KSG is ridiculous!) Tactical mag changes take less time that reload from empty...

The Assassins Creed games have a longer reload time with flintlock pistols, though still not historically accurate, and not a true Run-n-Gun FPS...

There is potential for a historically accurate FPS (recoil, reload time, accuracy, etc.) set further back... But I feel it would be a niche market, and with a small player base, large companies aren't going to want to put the time and effort of top billing into it.

Another problem with FPS games is proper weapon balancing and skill gap. If you make the weapons and shooting mechanics have a realistic skill gap, it pisses off the scrubs. Just about every recent flavor of COD has a low skill gap. N00bs and casuals like it because they can start kicking ass sooner without spending a lot of time developing their skills and tactics. And then the higher skill players get bored and go play BF4. Every time I play AW all I hear is squeakers with their mics turned up. And they all feel like they're kicking ass.

BF4 I think is an amazing game, and it at least has some skill gap. I suck at PVP anymore because my speed of thought just isn't what it used to be compared to you whippersnappers. I'm like Cronk and Zepher that way. So I'm not very good at the high skill gap FPS games. But I still like to play them. But a lot of more casual players won't pick it up again if they don't get some fast gratification. And then they won't buy the next version.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    A good example of a game with a very wide skill gap, has been Destiny. Right now Bungie is getting ready to nerf two very OP handguns "Thorn" (which can be glitched to be a two shot kill at long range, and also gives lingering damage a 7HP/Sec 7x I believe) and "The last word" which is basically a single action revolver that gives bonus accuracy when hip firing (2 shot kill). The effective distance is being nerfed, and the DoT perk on thorn is being nerfed. They are also nerfing shotgun perks, and the last round causing enough damage on certain snipers by hitting an opponent anywhere.

The people who are actually good at the game are *****ing because these guns remove skill from the game and make ****ty players better...

That said, I've invested more time into Destiny than any other game. I won't play WoW because I worry it'd suck my life away. Destiny is close, but I can control the amount of time I spend farming. :)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A good example of a game with a very wide skill gap, has been Destiny. Right now Bungie is getting ready to nerf two very OP handguns "Thorn" (which can be glitched to be a two shot kill at long range, and also gives lingering damage a 7HP/Sec 7x I believe) and "The last word" which is basically a single action revolver that gives bonus accuracy when hip firing (2 shot kill). The effective distance is being nerfed, and the DoT perk on thorn is being nerfed. They are also nerfing shotgun perks, and the last round causing enough damage on certain snipers by hitting an opponent anywhere.

The people who are actually good at the game are *****ing because these guns remove skill from the game and make ****ty players better...

That said, I've invested more time into Destiny than any other game. I won't play WoW because I worry it'd suck my life away. Destiny is close, but I can control the amount of time I spend farming. :)

I am a recovering day-one Destiny addict. It has a pretty descent skill gap but you wouldn't know it with all the whining on bungie.net.

I lost interest in Destiny not long after they unveiled TTK. I was mostly just grinding for stuff, and since everything's changing, I just don't see much point in that. PoE had renewed my interest but then that got boring as well. I'll probably buy TTK sometime after its release and see what people actually think of it before I invest in the time to get into it again.

I'm a big Thorn fan. I got mine pretty early on when it was harder to get. I think when something is hard to get it should have something special that makes it worth going through the difficulty. But then after CE dropped I helped someone get it and it seemed way easier than when I got mine. But yeah, for PVP it is too OP as it is. It needs nerfed a bit.

On TLW, I'm neither a fan nor hater. I usually use Thorn because I'm most comfortable with hand cannons but I just never got very good with TLW. I got wrecked enough by people using it that I'm kinda glad to see it nerfed. Xur has sold TLW enough that it's just not really special enough to be the best pvp exotic primary weapon in the game.

And then there's the Gjallarhorn. Sigh. I got mine from a VOG drop after about week 6. I'm going to miss its awesome spender but I'm not going to miss the squeakers kicking me from the team just because I don't have it equipped for Crota.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I could turn over Asteroids all day long, but the trick is to die just before it flips back to zero to keep the highest score before walking away from the game.
    One day my friend and I just got done setting the high scores and stepped away just as some punk unplugged it to reset everything. I ended up breaking his nose and got banned from 7-11 for the rest of that summer.
    :xmad: Thanks Ron Blum! :xmad:

Oh -
    Next I'll tell you about the Pong tournament I had in our basement during my sisters' slumber party.
    This is gonna be good.

Super keen that you guys have this gaming thread up. Sorry I didn't see it earlier. :rockwoot:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Another problem with FPS games is proper weapon balancing and skill gap. If you make the weapons and shooting mechanics have a realistic skill gap, it pisses off the scrubs. Just about every recent flavor of COD has a low skill gap. N00bs and casuals like it because they can start kicking ass sooner without spending a lot of time developing their skills and tactics. And then the higher skill players get bored and go play BF4. Every time I play AW all I hear is squeakers with their mics turned up. And they all feel like they're kicking ass.

BF4 I think is an amazing game, and it at least has some skill gap. I suck at PVP anymore because my speed of thought just isn't what it used to be compared to you whippersnappers. I'm like Cronk and Zepher that way. So I'm not very good at the high skill gap FPS games. But I still like to play them. But a lot of more casual players won't pick it up again if they don't get some fast gratification. And then they won't buy the next version.

You want skill gap? Two words...

EVE Online...

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

They did that with Mass Effect 3's online as well. Every week the Developers would nerf the most whined about item/gun/class until it just felt like it was a race to the bottom. Then they started changing the most popular maps because the players were not playing the game how the designers intended, but managed to find fun on their own.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom