• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Dude plagiarized his very first review. That takes balls.

Dj-hA8oUUAA_0uy.jpg:small

Dj-hCWLUUAEv7kd.jpg:small

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Friend of mine is now on his third HTC Vive headset. First and second sent back under warranty for replacement/repair... apparently sweat damage.

Second one may have been aided by extra Vive Trackers... which he thinks caused the headset to work harder and overheat to damage.

Just received his third one today.

Haven't had any issues with mine. Though he has a ****ton of hours of VR... I'm probably still under 100 or so.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    10 video game endings that messed us up as kids. No real spoilers... just vague summaries.

10. Metal Gear Solid 2 - Gets deep with technology and politics.
    9. Knights of the Old Republic - You find out your ... purpose.
    8. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Relive the timeline...
    7. Grand Theft Auto 4 - No happy ending for you.
    6. Fallout 1 - That thing you've been working toward? Screw you!
    5. Conker's Bad Fur Day - Self-aware, third-wall breaking craziness.
    4. Silent Hill 2 - ... The dog ending. Just... yeah.
    3. Dead Space - You've been misguided.
    2. Shadow of the Colossus - WHAT A TWIST.
    1. Metroid - Samus is a ... girl!?

[video=youtube_share;vYInih_Fv0c]https://youtu.be/vYInih_Fv0c[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    IGN has issued a statement on the plagiarized review. They've parted ways with the reviewer, and apologized.

This really is the state of games journalism, though... these guys are so hung up on politics, they don't even play the games they talk about. They claim this guy did, I doubt it.

DkCI2ctVAAA0erb.jpg:small

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    10 video game endings that messed us up as kids. No real spoilers... just vague summaries.

10. Metal Gear Solid 2 - Gets deep with technology and politics.
    9. Knights of the Old Republic - You find out your ... purpose.
    8. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Relive the timeline...
    7. Grand Theft Auto 4 - No happy ending for you.
    6. Fallout 1 - That thing you've been working toward? Screw you!
    5. Conker's Bad Fur Day - Self-aware, third-wall breaking craziness.
    4. Silent Hill 2 - ... The dog ending. Just... yeah.
    3. Dead Space - You've been misguided.
    2. Shadow of the Colossus - WHAT A TWIST.
    1. Metroid - Samus is a ... girl!?

[video=youtube_share;vYInih_Fv0c]https://youtu.be/vYInih_Fv0c[/video]

Ahhhh silent hill 2. Man that takes me back, can’t count how many hours we spent roaming that town worried about the pyramid head.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sort of a big story in the classic gaming scene...

Emuparadise has removed all of their download links and Nintendo is quickly fixing the 3DS so you can no longer download games from their servers without a valid ticket.

Emuparadise was the go-to source for ROMs of old games, and Nintendo had them shut down.

In many cases, there's no reasonable method to play these games without emulating them anymore. Like lost artifacts.

Then there are 30+ year old games on "e-shops" like Nintendo being sold for $10-25. Even the Zelda games that were ported to Gamecube were literally just ripped roms running on a GCN N64 emulator.

Nintendo is tossing lawsuits around like candy at the major ROM sites, suing for damages of billions of dollars.

I guess the good thing is... these ROMs have a very small footprint... so finding a torrent with most old games isn't something that should take forever to download and archive.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Sort of a big story in the classic gaming scene...

Emuparadise has removed all of their download links and Nintendo is quickly fixing the 3DS so you can no longer download games from their servers without a valid ticket.

Emuparadise was the go-to source for ROMs of old games, and Nintendo had them shut down.

In many cases, there's no reasonable method to play these games without emulating them anymore. Like lost artifacts.

Then there are 30+ year old games on "e-shops" like Nintendo being sold for $10-25. Even the Zelda games that were ported to Gamecube were literally just ripped roms running on a GCN N64 emulator.

Nintendo is tossing lawsuits around like candy at the major ROM sites, suing for damages of billions of dollars.

I guess the good thing is... these ROMs have a very small footprint... so finding a torrent with most old games isn't something that should take forever to download and archive.
    Copyrights are valid laws. You break them at your own risk.

Nintendo has the right to profit from their property until such time as the copyrights expire, which is 95 years after publishing. Until that time if you want to play their games, you should pay for it.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Copyrights are valid laws. You break them at your own risk.

Nintendo has the right to profit from their property until such time as the copyrights expire, which is 95 years after publishing. Until that time if you want to play their games, you should pay for it.

And you're not wrong, but...

Say there's an old game you want to play. It's discontinued, obviously. The price to get it used is exorbitant, probably treated like a collector's item. The publisher isn't modernizing its release anywhere.

What other options do you have?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    And you're not wrong, but...

Say there's an old game you want to play. It's discontinued, obviously. The price to get it used is exorbitant, probably treated like a collector's item. The publisher isn't modernizing its release anywhere.

What other options do you have?
    I do without. I don't pirate any kind of content. I realize I seem to be in the vast minority in that regard though.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I do without. I don't pirate any kind of content. I realize I seem to be in the vast minority in that regard though.

Another argument, aside from pirating roms, is the ability to back-up your game catalog/saves.

Those old cartridges and CDs aren't going to last forever. Many people use special utilities to rip them to a file so they can preserve them. Technically game companies don't like that and say it's against rules... but unless they give the users the ability to back up their games/saves, they don't have many options.

Thankfully, a lot of modern games do preserve that data digitally.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Copyrights expire in some jurisdictions. Technically, they expire in the US, too, but Disney makes sure the legislative extensions get put into place.

Some jurisdictions with looser laws create a situation where the product might actually be public domain in some places, but not others. That's a huge gray area in the modern world.

I've had some experience (quite some time ago) with a couple things that were either abandonware or had such a complicated legal history that the true owner was almost impossible to determine. It isn't always a tidy "that belongs to XYZ developer."

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Another argument, aside from pirating roms, is the ability to back-up your game catalog/saves.

Those old cartridges and CDs aren't going to last forever. Many people use special utilities to rip them to a file so they can preserve them. Technically game companies don't like that and say it's against rules... but unless they give the users the ability to back up their games/saves, they don't have many options.

Thankfully, a lot of modern games do preserve that data digitally.
    That is different to me. You've already paid for the game. If you are doing it for your use, that should be fine. When you distribute it to others, that is when it becomes an issue.

Publishers of all kinds have gotten silly in their pursuit of piracy. When I was young, it was commonplace to buy records and immediately transfer it to a cassette tape to listen to. That wasn't piracy, and I never heard of a company suing someone for that practice. Now they would probably want to sue a person for doing that.

BJME53

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 9, 2018
    Frankfort
    Without scrolling through every single post, does anyone else play StarCraft 2? I am a new player and looking to improve my skills. Would love to have some tips from locals!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Heh, old anti-piracy methods like hiding a password in the instruction book were always interesting...

I like developers that get funny with it... like, if they detect you have a pirated game, they make it where you slowly lose health over time or can't get past a certain point.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This week's Gameranx wrap-up

1. Playstation celebrating 500M units sold, launching PS4 Pro semi-transparent collector model. 50,000 run.
    2. New Nintendo Direct for Smash Ultimate, introduced more characters.
    3. Chinese making competitor to PS4.
    4. Fortnight announced for Android.
    5. Discord announced a Store to sell games.
    6. Spider-Man Dev interview, talks about influence.
    7. RDR2 Gameplay trailer out.
    8. QuakeCon info.
    9. Multiple Diablo projects in the works, says Blizzard.
    10. Nintendo lawsuits against ROM/Emulator sites.

[video=youtube_share;mB0Ar1_x-Gc]https://youtu.be/mB0Ar1_x-Gc[/video]

Top Bottom