• JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    https://store.steampowered.com/franchise/Half-Life

All Half-Life games are free to play until April 1st.

(Have to click through to the store page for the game to see)

tenor.gif

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The dynamic conversations that go on in RDR2 are incredible, especially around your camp... the things people say, mention, call back to, remember... really gives the game a lot of life. Your choice to go over to the campfire and "join in" on a song get mentioned in-passing the next day by another camp member that overheard you... it really is deep and engaging.

Now if only I could walk through a saloon without pissing someone off.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I know I haven't posted on here in years, but I just haven't been able to get into any new games for some reason, so I have been watching this thread in the event I missed something. I have been trying to get into RDR2, still haven't made it out of the abandoned mining town. Outer Worlds only made it a weekend with me, since it seemed like a grind with all the fetch missions. Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries is ok, but I abhor the hard point system that cannot be modified. I am a huge Fallout fan, and play either Fallout 3, New Vegas, or a heavily modded Fallout 4 almost every evening when trying to sleep.
    That said, the graphics on all these new games are just outstanding. RDR2 and Outer Worlds are just amazing on PC. I wonder how a console can handle it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I know I haven't posted on here in years, but I just haven't been able to get into any new games for some reason, so I have been watching this thread in the event I missed something. I have been trying to get into RDR2, still haven't made it out of the abandoned mining town. Outer Worlds only made it a weekend with me, since it seemed like a grind with all the fetch missions. Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries is ok, but I abhor the hard point system that cannot be modified. I am a huge Fallout fan, and play either Fallout 3, New Vegas, or a heavily modded Fallout 4 almost every evening when trying to sleep.
    That said, the graphics on all these new games are just outstanding. RDR2 and Outer Worlds are just amazing on PC. I wonder how a console can handle it.
    RDR2 looks amazing on PS4, played on 65” TV.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Did the whole Twilight Imperium thing over Christmas. We had most of one day set aside for it, but only got 6 hours in before other commitments intruded. I was doing the Emirates of Hacan and was allied with the Clan of Saar. We cooperated through most of the game and close to the end pretty much dominated the other 3 factions, who were doing a lot of revenge fighting among themselves. I wasn't really looking to win and our alliance was kind of an outside game thing - I would support my ally in exchange for exclusive trading rights in the new Imperium. I was in it for the money.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Did the whole Twilight Imperium thing over Christmas. We had most of one day set aside for it, but only got 6 hours in before other commitments intruded. I was doing the Emirates of Hacan and was allied with the Clan of Saar. We cooperated through most of the game and close to the end pretty much dominated the other 3 factions, who were doing a lot of revenge fighting among themselves. I wasn't really looking to win and our alliance was kind of an outside game thing - I would support my ally in exchange for exclusive trading rights in the new Imperium. I was in it for the money.

That had to be better than my time - sitting at my in-laws and working on a tax law certification test. :(

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    RDR2 is much better once you get past where you are. I recommend you push through.

Outer Worlds was a bit of a disappointment for me. It is a lot of grind, but is very Fallout like. Unlike the Fallout games though, I won't be replaying OW.

Did you play the Witcher games?

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    RDR2 is much better once you get past where you are. I recommend you push through.

Outer Worlds was a bit of a disappointment for me. It is a lot of grind, but is very Fallout like. Unlike the Fallout games though, I won't be replaying OW.

I will push through RDR2 some more, maybe this weekend. It just hasn't grabbed me yet. Outer Worlds disappointed me because I really think Obsidian could have done much better. It did not have nearly the moral ambiguity that Fallout NV had. That was a real let down after seeing the trailers. I also thought the crafting and maintenance of equipment was shallow, as were the companions.
    I haven't tried any of the Witcher games yet, nor Assassins Creed since I am not really a melee type of player. Maybe I can catch them on sale sometime through Steam. I will do some Skyrim once in a while, but that is really for exploring the map, no allegiance, no guild.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I will push through RDR2 some more, maybe this weekend. It just hasn't grabbed me yet.

Definitely keep pushing through, the "intro" is a couple hours of pretty linear stuff.

Once it opens up, it really shines.

I still can't get over how much I love the ambient conversations that include/don't include me based on my distance from the people talking in camp. Feels so natural.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I will push through RDR2 some more, maybe this weekend. It just hasn't grabbed me yet. Outer Worlds disappointed me because I really think Obsidian could have done much better. It did not have nearly the moral ambiguity that Fallout NV had. That was a real let down after seeing the trailers. I also thought the crafting and maintenance of equipment was shallow, as were the companions.
    I haven't tried any of the Witcher games yet, nor Assassins Creed since I am not really a melee type of player. Maybe I can catch them on sale sometime through Steam. I will do some Skyrim once in a while, but that is really for exploring the map, no allegiance, no guild.
    If you like exploring the map, you might enjoy the AC games. They are all set in historic times and locations and have a lot of cool things to see. Looking out over Egypt from the top of the Great Pyramid was pretty cool. Ancient Greece, Paris, Colonial US, Pirates, etc

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Still being amazed by RDR2. Made it to a larger city, just crazy how alive it feels... taking a stroll through it at nighttime.

So glad this finally came to PC.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This sorta fits here. My kids fortnight won't render well at all at anything above crappy graphics. 1080ti only 20% USAGE but CPU 100%. Intel celeron dual core 2.9ghz. I think I can go to i7 on that mobo but hoping an i3 4ghz quad will get me there. Is that a decent upgrade in processing power from celeron 2.9 dual to i3 qud 4ghz?

Months ago it was fine. They must have changed something

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Still being amazed by RDR2. Made it to a larger city, just crazy how alive it feels... taking a stroll through it at nighttime.

So glad this finally came to PC.

I don't have a gaming PC, but I have been tempted to build one to experience the higher resolution textures and framerate that PC offers.

RDR2 is one of my favorites of all time. I'm glad you get to experience it. It's one of those games I wish I could forget so I could experience it for the first time again...lol.

What else are you playing right now? Care to suggest a favorite outlier?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

I played Witcher 3 for about a hour when I was off work for my tonsillectomy. I couldn’t get into it. I watched some playthroughs on YouTube, and I liked what I saw, just didn’t enjoy it like I thought I would.

RDR2 is amazing though. I rushed thru the first time so I didn’t have the ending spoiled, now I’m playing and taking it slow so I can make sure I hit all the stranger missions and random encounters. I didn’t realize how much stuff I missed the first time thru.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This sorta fits here. My kids fortnight won't render well at all at anything above crappy graphics. 1080ti only 20% USAGE but CPU 100%. Intel celeron dual core 2.9ghz. I think I can go to i7 on that mobo but hoping an i3 4ghz quad will get me there. Is that a decent upgrade in processing power from celeron 2.9 dual to i3 qud 4ghz?

Months ago it was fine. They must have changed something

Definitely sounds like a CPU bottleneck. Never played Fortnite, wonder if they added DX12 support or something... usually games will maintain an option in the graphics settings to choose between DX11 and DX12 processing. But yeah... Celeron is pretty dated by now.

The recommended hardware for Fortnite is at minimum an i3. I'd personally use at least an i5... hopefully whatever the motherboard is has some options these days, and not just discontinued stuff. It is a shame... sometimes you can have an excellent GPU... but the CPU just can't keep up. Ran into a couple games like that before.

I don't have a gaming PC, but I have been tempted to build one to experience the higher resolution textures and framerate that PC offers.

RDR2 is one of my favorites of all time. I'm glad you get to experience it. It's one of those games I wish I could forget so I could experience it for the first time again...lol.

What else are you playing right now? Care to suggest a favorite outlier?

Portal/Portal 2 was one of those games for me... but I went into them full of hype, and they didn't disappoint. Really latched onto me from beginning to end. But going back and playing again, hard to get that high from the first play.

Some of the stuff I got the longest playtime in...MGSV definitely up there, replayed it a few times now... but it's a Kojima game, and those don't always appeal to everyone. But it does have that deep level of detail with mechanics like RDR2 has. And some great music, lot of Bowie influence.

Hard to go wrong with Witcher 3 and its DLCs. Just tons of hours of content there.

On the topic of deep and detail... Divinity: Original Sin and Divinity: Original Sin 2... these are pure RPG games, some would say tediously so... hard to explain how detailed they are, but it's not often that a "turn-based (during battle) RPG" lets you do nearly anything you want, and be very creative in the way you handle things... Worth checking a review on to see if its your taste.

And if we're talking taste... I guess I should mention Nier: Automata. I guess they'd call it a "hack-and-slash" action game... but it's one of those "spectacle" games... looks great, big flashy combos, great music, weird story... but it carries a similar disclaimer as Kojima games... it might be too weird for some.

Going back to Kojima... I loved Death Stranding on PS4. It stands on its own with regards to trying to place it into a genre. It's just an open-world story... with those Kojima twists. Essentially a movie you're playing.

I guess to answer your question about what I'm playing now: RDR2, Monster Hunter World, FFXIV, ISLANDERS (wierd "puzzle" game I've sunk 200+ hours into over the past couple months...)

I tend to like a lot of weird games, so I feel weird about recommending them because they might be too weird. :)

Top Bottom