• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What are you doing that requires liquid cooling?

You really need to be doing serious overclocking to require it. I looked at it back when I built and overclocked my systems, but I never pushed my system to the point that a really good heatsink wouldn't do the job.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

You really need to be doing serious overclocking to require it. I looked at it back when I built and overclocked my systems, but I never pushed my system to the point that a really good heatsink wouldn't do the job.
    My guess would be sound. Air cooling can certainly do the job, but it won't be quiet when it has to dissipate the full TDP of CPU, GPU, and power supply under load. Water cooling will be much quieter under load.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

I guess you don't game and try to run max settings, and it can be tremendously loud when you have to have the proper amount of fans to meet the required airflow. I am not one that enjoys listening to enough fan noise that it sounds like a FedEX DC-10 throttling up for takeoff,
    And no you do not have to be seriously over clocking to require it, matter of fact I have only overclocked the system 4 times in the entire time I have had it. The AMD FX processor and SSD make this a beast and has taken everything I have ever thrown at it.

Quite has it's advantages, and the liquid system suited me.

Couldn't find anyone to put in a new liquid cooler, it was picked up and taken in to be replaced with a oversized heatsink/fan combo. The guaranteed me there would be no over heating issues and no be too loud.

Just sucks that I'm having to pay to have this done. Not having full dexterity in my left hand really hinders my ability to get things done. They picked it up at 10:30am and he said they should have it back by 4-5pm. Be gald to have it home and back in operation.

My late wife's old PC is turtle slow and aggravating. Slower processor, platter HD.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The beast is back, up and running. Louder, added two 80mm fans where the radiator was to vent heat directly out the top and cranked up some the fan speeds to increase airflow in and out.

Running at a good temo right now, the test will be as soon as World of Warships gets done with it's update and I'll crank back all the settings up to where they was and see how the temps run.

I think I may invest in a new gaming rig, set it up software wise exactly as this is, and use this as my backup rig.

Being without a computer for 3 days and then using Mrs. IBM's old CPU sure put strain on me. Makes you realize how dependent you become paying bills online and other things.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Speaking of cooling fans, the last couple of builds I did I used Noctua brand fans on my case and CPU.
    They're still quiet after some years and seem like good quality.

So many fans start out pretty quiet, but start to become noisy in just a year or two.
    These Noctua fans are still just as quiet as when I installed them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This is kind of the Nerd thread. :p
    Oh I know. I'm just teasing. I wish I understood more about the PC (the computers, not "political correctness) world. I think the hard drive in my head is about full, so I just can't seem to store the newer information like I used to. :): There's a lot of stuff I can grasp, but it requires a lot of "hand holding" to walk me through it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My system was a closed loop system, and I would have had to splice it in.

Luckily I have someone who will be picking up my system tomorrow and installing a oversized traditional heat sink/cooler.

Should have it back by 5pm tomorrow.
    Since my computer is almost 6 years old, I'm going to look into having a new one built, one thing I will have is one of the larger external tanks with a fill port and instead of a 3.5 inch SSD, I'll go with a 2TB NVME2 SSD chipset.
    So, stupid question, where did the liquid go? Closed system, so did it leak and then evaporate? I know "of" PC liquid cooling systems but never used one. Not sure how much liquid we're talking about that went missing for it to run low.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So, stupid question, where did the liquid go? Closed system, so did it leak and then evaporate? I know "of" PC liquid cooling systems but never used one. Not sure how much liquid we're talking about that went missing for it to run low.
    My guess is it's either in the couch cushions, or else with the missing socks from the dryer.

• Haha
    Reactions: KLB

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    They found a small pin hole in the radiator on top,eaporated out. So no way to see that a leak had happened.They also found a couple rough burrs along the mounting channel. Years ago I put a small amount of aluminum foil as a catch basin under the radiator as a precaution of it springing a leak. Never would have though I'd get a pin hole on the top of it.

I've pretty much ran it through the ringer since I got it back, max core temp has been 85 degree's. Used to run at a max of 71 on a heavy load, so I'm happy. Pleasantly surprised at the noise level, if course they was not making heat sink coolers of this size when I had this built.

PC-COM on Rockville Road in Avon did the work, highly recommend them. The tech that picked up and brought my system back to me has been there for eons. We got into a discussion about the good ole days and the PC shows that used to be at the State Fairground and later on at some of the closed department stores. We both think we may have run into each other back in the day.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My guess is it's either in the couch cushions, or else with the missing socks from the dryer.
    Just surprised if it dropped much fluid that it didn't cause any issues with the electronics in the case,
    They found a small pin hole in the radiator on top,eaporated out. So no way to see that a leak had happened.They also found a couple rough burrs along the mounting channel. Years ago I put a small amount of aluminum foil as a catch basin under the radiator as a precaution of it springing a leak. Never would have though I'd get a pin hole on the top of it.

I've pretty much ran it through the ringer since I got it back, max core temp has been 85 degree's. Used to run at a max of 71 on a heavy load, so I'm happy. Pleasantly surprised at the noise level, if course they was not making heat sink coolers of this size when I had this built.

PC-COM on Rockville Road in Avon did the work, highly recommend them. The tech that picked up and brought my system back to me has been there for eons. We got into a discussion about the good ole days and the PC shows that used to be at the State Fairground and later on at some of the closed department stores. We both think we may have run into each other back in the day.
    Thanks. Was just curious.

Good to know about PC-COM. I've been in here one time when I was selling off some old equipment, but never used them for a repair. They aren't that far from me.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I guess you don't game and try to run max settings, and it can be tremendously loud when you have to have the proper amount of fans to meet the required airflow. I am not one that enjoys listening to enough fan noise that it sounds like a FedEX DC-10 throttling up for takeoff,
    And no you do not have to be seriously over clocking to require it, matter of fact I have only overclocked the system 4 times in the entire time I have had it. The AMD FX processor and SSD make this a beast and has taken everything I have ever thrown at it.

Quite has it's advantages, and the liquid system suited me.

Couldn't find anyone to put in a new liquid cooler, it was picked up and taken in to be replaced with a oversized heatsink/fan combo. The guaranteed me there would be no over heating issues and no be too loud.

Just sucks that I'm having to pay to have this done. Not having full dexterity in my left hand really hinders my ability to get things done. They picked it up at 10:30am and he said they should have it back by 4-5pm. Be gald to have it home and back in operation.

My late wife's old PC is turtle slow and aggravating. Slower processor, platter HD.
    Not anymore. I can't sit and game like that anymore. Already screwed up my neck from way too many hours over too many years.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not anymore. I can't sit and game like that anymore. Already screwed up my neck from way too many hours over too many years.
    Dang. I used to play Doom and Doom II, but that was about it. I never got hurt (but I knew the cheater codes). You know that those things that the monsters shoot at you aren't real, right? :):

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Dang. I used to play Doom and Doom II, but that was about it. I never got hurt (but I knew the cheater codes). You know that those things that the monsters shoot at you aren't real, right? :):
    That was when I started.

Basically, I use a computer all day for work, and then gamed a lot. Sitting and staring at a monitor all day pretty much straightened my neck out. Two vertebrae are bulging and two are compressed. Now I don't sit as much and I go to a chiropractor every 8 weeks to keep things in place.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Not pain for me, I just lost most interest in gaming. I loved the Elder Scrolls series and the Diablo series until D3, but can't get into most other games. Can't do twitch gaming any more, plus want to keep my BP low, so FPS games are out. One of these days they'll do an ES:VI and I'll have something to play again.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Cut my teeth on Duke Nuke'm, progressed to Wolfenstien, Quake then in 2001 when Battlefield 1942 came out I went full bore, it was my stress relief from dealing with idiot customers in the beer business.

Now it's just World of Warships, I've been told that a lot of people consider me above average, but I think I'm just johnny on the spot when a kill shot is needed.

Top Bottom