• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anyone else have an issue with Xfinity reporting excessive data usage in January?

They started sending me over usage notices a week ago or so. I went over the terabyte a few days ago. Now I'm up 200 or 300 gigs over that. :xmad:

It looks as if the meter is running way faster than normal? While it's colder and there is more inside time, my routine streaming and other use hasn't really changed much. Certainly hasn't doubled or tripled. :dunno:

Xfinity-Data-Usage-1-30-20.png

I wonder if this issue is not related to a software glitch xfinity had back in October?

Comcast Blames Software Glitch for Broadband Data Meter Error

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Do you have a local WLAN? Somebody might be riding your account

Does that usage include accessing Comcast access points far from home using your Comcast account?

When was the last time you changed your password(s), bwframe?

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Does that usage include accessing Comcast access points far from home using your Comcast account?

When was the last time you changed your password(s), bwframe?

I assume so? I don't really use the xfinity access points. Don't even have the app on my current phone.

I changed my password ten years ago. :dunno: I just changed it again. ;)

Appreciate the tip, but wonder if that's really it vs a problem with Comcast?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Anyone else have an issue with Xfinity reporting excessive data usage in January?

They started sending me over usage notices a week ago or so. I went over the terabyte a few days ago. Now I'm up 200 or 300 gigs over that. :xmad:

It looks as if the meter is running way faster than normal? While it's colder and there is more inside time, my routine streaming and other use hasn't really changed much. Certainly hasn't doubled or tripled. :dunno:

Xfinity-Data-Usage-1-30-20.png

I wonder if this issue is not related to a software glitch xfinity had back in October?

Comcast Blames Software Glitch for Broadband Data Meter Error

I didn't know they had a data limit? I've never heard it mentioned with my account.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The overclock on the counter would be greater than 3:1 in your case, given your prior useage history. To me it seems unlikely Comcast would try to put that big of a thumb on the scale since the idea would be to skim a little more revenue, not make it obvious

I would certainly complain to Comcast that you have not changed your useage habits and have them check it out on their end. Now, if you haven't changed your password for ten years, what kind of encryption are you running? And those neighbors you know, do they have children? Your neighbors might not surf your connection but their kids might. Take your phone outside, enable wifi and have it search for connections. What it can see is what anyone getting within possibly 3-400 feet of your house can see, they can work from considerably further with a laptop and a little extra equipment. Usually there are ways to have the router only recognize devices with specific MAC addresses so you can eliminate outsider attacks unless they're sophisticated enough to spoof those (and know which ones to use). Like GP mentioned, before I changed anything too much I would see if intruders could be caught in the act by analyzing router info to see what devices were using the system, how much and possibly a rough time frame. If you get your feed via cable, I'd also walk the drop and look for any kind of splice or unauthorized hard connection

Top Bottom