• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    and they are $375. that is pretty reasonable for what you get. even material wise there is roughly double the AMOUNT of material than most other knives. its not a perfect knife. the is no such thing (i don't care WHAT some of these clowns say. there are just those who are better at HIDING mistakes).

its not cheap. but its also not inexpensive.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    she is definetely ugly! but she is a cutter for what she is!.... i touched her up (edge was a bit rough) and she cuts great. lockup is perfect, and carries nice and flat in the pocket. i forgot what it was for awhile today. didn't even notice it.

compared to a ZT... the ZT feels like a spyderco. its just that solid.

honestly, its more of a folding axe. thats what i think of when i handle it.

i had commited to one of them over a month ago... i was very excited. but as life goes, i had to tell mike and sue that i had to let down my end of the deal, as i just couldn't afford it right now. little be known to me, the wife had been emailing sue and purchased #8 for me the day i bowed out. my wife is very supportive of my hobby, the friends i have made from my hobby, and to the knife world in general. knife makers, users and collectors are GENERALLY some of the most friendly, selfless people i know. and to see them treat my wife as well as i get treated makes me even more thankful. you can always tell the people who are "nice" to gain items for themselves. to get that free piece of kit, or to get that "favor" on a "special order". some of the best friends and most generous people i know, i have never shook hands with or been closer to than 800 miles.

thank you, mike and sue.

Awesome story, Cubby. I've never actually met Mike but my online dealings with him and his rep from others indicate he's a top notch guy.

I know what you mean--some of my best friends in the whole world are big in the knife industry. They are great guys. Seems like the knife industry has a bunch of really great guys and a bunch of guys that are whining, petty and backstabbing types. I've not seen a whole lot in the middle. Don't get it:dunno:

Anyway, congrats on that folder!

releo 37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Ok so I finally get to go and hang out with Cubby for a little while on Friday and got to handle this knife.

It’s huge everything about it is big. The fit and finish were surprisingly good. The lock on it took a good amount of strength to open for the blade to close. I liked the blade shape and it had a good edge on it. Did I mention it was big the pictures don’t do it any justice.

Thanks to Cubby for letting me stop out and hang out for a little bit something I should do more often and for being able to handle this knife.

Bret

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I just don't get knives like these, they are ugly as sin with the grip only on one side. I guess it's an aquired taste.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I just don't get knives like these, they are ugly as sin with the grip only on one side. I guess it's an aquired taste.

Ugly? Yeah, a little. But it's bomb proof, almost like a Horton folder.

As for only having one side of the folder scaled, it's because of the locking mechanism. High end folders like Hinderers, Graymans, Carey's, etc. mostly have only 1 scale because they can't really put a scale on the side with the locking bar (Hinderers can't because of the roto block).

It may look weird, but a good amount of the $300+ folders happen to have only 1 scale.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The grip can only be on one side if it's a frame lock. I do like the flamed and GG Striders better though.

Grayman knives aren't made for looks. They are designed for abuse and torture.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.

Its called a frame lock.. Frame locks are stronger than liner locks. Especially if its a big ol' slab of titanium ..!! And who cares what it looks like, if it has a good blade design and a good feeling handle. Plus if your life depend on the knife you have, wouldn't you want one like the Grayman or a wimpy little pocket knife..??

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN

many makers make the same patterns in a liner lock form, where there are "grips" (scales) on both sides. typically, a frame lock is more RELIABLE and safer than a liner lock for a few reasons:

-provides a thicker lock while maintaining an appropriate thickness of the knife. is a lock that thick needed? depends on the use. but if you take a thick lock and add a scale, you just added another .25" of thickness. that is alot.

-safety. during stress or period of harder work you instinively grip the knife tighter, engaging the lock more securely. less likelihood of the lock slipping out. though this is rare with any well made knife, it happens. case in point: i see alot of emersons with locks that slip. not an emerson knock, just stating what i have seen.

other items of interest:

-material cost. a .09 piece of Ti and a piece of .2 Ti cost nearly the same. Ti is light and strong and makes an excellent lock. g10 or other materials don't add any strength to the mechanism. a thicker lock side does.

-overal cost. you have to have something to thread all those screws into. Ti, steel, or something similiar. so one way or the other, you are working THAT cost on top of handle material. so. you can get: handle slab $ plus Ti $..... or.... handle slab $ plus Ti $ plus handle slab $. plus all the extra time and effort of making that other extra piece pretty. four pieces (slab, non lock side liner, lock side liner, slab) vs. two pieces (slab, lockside frame).

so. in the end, i believe function trumps form in most cases. liner locks and frame locks, while similiar and fill similiar holes, are not always the same animal.

Top Bottom