• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GCA321321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'd like to have a civil discussion about the no-carry gun policy many gun shops in Indiana have. It has been debated in individual threads (some resulting in a closing of the thread...so please be on best behavior here and let's try to refrain from mentioning any stores specifically).

Personally, I think the bottom line is that this policy is hypocritical and silly to the point of my shopping elsewhere. This site in particular raises such a stink every time an employee of Starbucks or any other non-firearm related business mentions the word "gun," in their corporate policy (a quick INGO search shows boycott language connected to Starbucks, Dicks, AMC Theaters + Staples), but then gleefully hands over their $ to GUN stores + ranges which do not permit loaded GUN carry in their GUN stores. All the while, the 3-4 threads on Starbucks (a coffee shop...not a gun store...please note the irony) continues to gain steam (+1 for the pun..) because they said that they wont refuse to serve anyone carrying in their store but do not appreciate it and advise against it.

Anyone else refuse to shop at these stores? Anyone care to defend the policy or their decision to shop at such a store? No need to add to thread just to post pictures or icons of popcorn.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Not sure I have actually seen a local gun store that prohibits carry. How about throwing out some names of these local gun stores that prohibit carry?

GCA321321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I know of 2 personally...but think it best to leave specific store names out of this thread so as to avoid putting them on blast directly. Just looking for more of a general discussion on the policy... But if you browse the "good bad and the ugly" section of this forum for local gun shops, you will come across a few threads that mention specific shops that have this policy (and some complaints and defenses that follow).

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I know not a single gun store that allows concealed carry in their shop. I view it as a safety issue. The density of both guns and unsafe people are particularly high. I do not agree, but in their defense, I have seen some pretty amazing amounts of stupid in some shops.

GCA321321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I know not a single gun store that allows concealed carry in their shop. I view it as a safety issue. The density of both guns and unsafe people are particularly high. I do not agree, but in their defense, I have seen some pretty amazing amounts of stupid in some shops.

"All customer firearms must remain holstered while inside store at all times." Seems like it would eliminate any confusion issue equally as effectively, right? If it is to defend against "stupid" people carrying guns (of which there are plenty), then why do we attack dicks, etc. for having these policies? Surely, they have just as much of a right to protect against "stupid" people carrying guns into their establishment?

GCA321321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    IBTL.................:popcorn:

Lock because it is a touchy issue that might result in a some debate? Don't see any reason for that so long as the discussion stays within the bounds of INGO rules. I think we are sometimes a little quick to halt discussiosn/debates on INGO. Also, last line of OP applies here.

docapos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    mooresville area
    I have driven away from two stores specifically because of this issue. But I made sure to spend money at the third because of their sign.

guns-welcome.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Lock because it is a touchy issue that might result in a some debate? Don't see any reason for that so long as the discussion stays within the bounds of INGO rules. I think we are sometimes a little quick to halt discussiosn/debates on INGO. Also, last line of OP applies here.

Point taken.

Does not take long before a debate can turn free for all.

I did not read the last line just the thread name and a few sentences of the OP and knew of impending doom. Hard to have nice things around the kids.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Took the wife to visit a "new to us" range in Indy, put my carry in the trunk and walked in. To my DELIGHT there was a sign on the door "All loaded weapons must be holstered". The wife and I have found a new shop with a nice range to fire in, very pleasant staff (women in the shop made my wife feel VERY comfortable). But I digress, point is, they allow carry and none of the others I've entered. (Unless you count GM as a gun shop)

It is kind of a reflection on the neighborhood I think. Good neighborhood, no worries! Shady neighborhood,remove your shades and leave your weapon outside. I have to say, based on where some are located, I understand why some would not want a person walking in carrying.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't spend money at a gun store that doesn't trust me with a gun. Simply put, if you don't trust me with a loaded weapon than you really shouldn't sell me one. You are basically saying, "I don't trust you to be safe with this, but I'll let you have one as long as you are unsafe around someone else." I don't expect a movie theater or restaurant to have a dog in the fight, but a gun store saying no guns strikes me as hypocritical to the extreme.

I completely understand "loaded weapons are to remain holstered". If I'm unsafe, kick me out and DON'T SELL ME ANYTHING BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY I'M A MORON AND SHOULDN'T BE SOLD A FIREARM UNTIL I'M EDUCATED. If I'm not, leave me be. Don't tell me I'm untrustworthy to carry in your presence and then sell me a gun anyway, making me someone else's problem.

Oh, and before someone who doesn't know any better chimes in with "its only for insurance or liability purposes", no, its not.

GCA321321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Took the wife to visit a "new to us" range in Indy, put my carry in the trunk and walked in. To my DELIGHT there was a sign on the door "All loaded weapons must be holstered". The wife and I have found a new shop with a nice range to fire in, very pleasant staff (women in the shop made my wife feel VERY comfortable). But I digress, point is, they allow carry and none of the others I've entered. (Unless you count GM as a gun shop)

It is kind of a reflection on the neighborhood I think. Good neighborhood, no worries! Shady neighborhood,remove your shades and leave your weapon outside. I have to say, based on where some are located, I understand why some would not want a person walking in carrying.

I think it would be safe to mention shops that DO allow carry. Secondly, would you be receptive to Starbucks only allowing carry in their stores that are located in nicer parts of town?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think it would be safe to mention shops that DO allow carry.

In no particular order (or with commentary on pricing, endorsement, etc) the following are stores I know first hand allow carry. They are either sign-less or "must remain holstered" signed.

Greenwood:
    US Defense Solutions
    Elmore's
    The Outdoorsman

Indianapolis:
    Indy Trading Post
    Beech Grove Firearms

Austin:
    256 Sport & Garden

Jeffersonville:
    Orion Arms (formerly Kiesler's)

Perhaps if there's enough interest a list could be compiled and a sticky made.

GCA321321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    In no particular order (or with commentary on pricing, endorsement, etc) the following are stores I know first hand allow carry. They are either sign-less or "must remain holstered" signed.

Greenwood:
    US Defense Solutions
    Elmore's
    The Outdoorsman

Indianapolis:
    Indy Trading Post
    Beech Grove Firearms

Austin:
    256 Sport & Garden

Jeffersonville:
    Orion Arms (formerly Kiesler's)

Perhaps if there's enough interest a list could be compiled and a sticky made.

I like the compiled list/sticky idea! Anyone have any others to add to the list?

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    I think it would be safe to mention shops that DO allow carry. Secondly, would you be receptive to Starbucks only allowing carry in their stores that are located in nicer parts of town?

Not sure of the relevance to the original thread..but I like what Starbucks was, plain and simple, what the local law allows..

Top Bottom