• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've honestly never noticed a sign anywhere I go, including movie theaters, Walmart, etc. I guess they are up there, but I know where I'm not allowed to carry according to the law, so I just make sure I don't carry into schools or government buildings.

As for gun shops, if I'm getting a gun looked at, I usually carry it into the store unloaded, with the slide open and ask them to do the work necessary. I've never pulled a gun out of its holster to have work done. I don't understand the signs, but if I'm ever asked if I have a loaded gun, I guess I can simply choose to leave at that time.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This must be a "big city" thing. I can't recall seeing them on any of the LGSs I check out.

I always assumed these are posted for insurance reasons. I can't say I would never go into one where such a sign was posted (since I've never encountered one) but if I were asked to leave because of the policy, I'd never return.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I frequent two shops that post "No weapons allowed" "no loaded weapons allowed" neither sign makes sense to me, as a sharpened pencil in the hands of a skilled fighter can be fairly deadly. One is a barbershop, one is a gun selling pawn shop. I wear a cover shirt buttoned once or twice.
    Neither the owner nor the employees know what I have on my belt nor do they need to know. If I am ever asked to leave, so be it. It is their shop and their living, but it does not mean I disrespect their beliefs, I just disrespect their ability to protect themselves.

"Nuff Sed"

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    It is his.
    Mine is much classier.

defe2ca71574473600db7d8778615511-free-candy-seems-legit.jpg

With windows in the back of the van, this is clearly legit.

May I hold your company liable if I develop Type II diabetes due to said free candy?

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    No loaded firearms seems like a sensible sign to me. Anybody who treats their weapon with respect would not unholster unnecessarily, and because they left it in the holster no one will ask if its loaded. If you pull your weapon and someone ask you if its loaded and you say yes then you deserve to be drop kicked off the property. I have never seen a shop with a no carry sign. Just a no loaded carry sign. I'm ok with that.

So you just carry around a paperweight? :scratch: Why carry at all if its not loaded? If you are going to try out holsters, then bring it in in a box or case. If you are carrying for protection, carry it however you see fit but with ammo!

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    There are two LGSs that I pop into with any regularity that have a sign, or at least wording on the door. One is also a pawn shop, so I understand that in their case, it may be due to the clientele coming to sell. I've hybrid carried more than concealed there, but never been given any grief. The second has a sign, but I've open carried there multiple times. The proprietor has never said anything to me.

There's another pawn shop that sells guns that I visit every once in a while. It doesn't have a sign, but does have a USPS location. I OC there too.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Signs signs everywhere a sign... do this don't do that........
    no loaded carry or any other sign saying you can't have your loaded personal defense weapon
    on you the way it was meant to be carried is absolutely rediculous.
    The state we live in gave us a license to carry the weapon as a trusted responsible owner.
    If you think a sign at your establishments front door saying no loaded weapons is going to stop
    anything then you also think just like your mother Feinstein or any other libtard. This is the same stupid
    mentality of "Gun free zone"
    Signs aren't going to stop stupid, they just pi** off the good guys that don't need a sign.

Hank in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    South Central In
    I wouldn't worry too much about the rule. Every gun show I attend I get asked two questions. Do you have a firearm? Is it loaded? If it is, they ask me to leave the building and get rid of the firearm or leave the building and unload it. I can't remember a show when these questions were not asked. It's no big deal. I actually survived the ordeal with no psychological damage. I was recently at a pawn shop with my head in a display case when I heard the clerk say "I hope that isn't loaded." I didn't even look back I went behind a display case to observe and assess. It still was unnerving and got my attention.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    I was asked to leave Knob Creek's store for carrying. I had several hundred dollar bills in my hand getting ready to make a purchase. Dude asked if my 1911 was loaded, I chuckled and said, yes sir it is. He said, you need to leave. I said, I need to buy "such and such". Take you gun outside. I said, if I go outside, I won't be coming back in. He just looked at me with a stupid look on his face.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Well, since we're not naming names, I know of a shop of the South West side of Indianapolis that doesn't allow it's customers to carry loaded firearms in holsters so I don't take my business there. It's their choice and that's fine so I'll respect it even though I think it's Loony.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So, lessons from this thread:

1) Some people will decide the sign doesn't apply to them, despite its wording. The sign is then ineffective.
    2) Some people will decide the sign does apply to them, but will choose to ignore it and carry anyway. The sign is then ineffective.
    3) Some people will decide the sign does apply to them, and will shop elsewhere. The sign is effective.

Apparently the sign works best at deterring people who are observant and respectful of the rules from entering the business. I wonder if those folks are the most likely to be dangerous with a loaded weapon?

Ah well, if I was an anti-gun activist I'd drive around and take pictures of all those signs. Whenever anyone said gun free zones were a bad idea, I'd post them as a counter argument. See? Even the gun dealers want a gun free zone to feel safe.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Signs are for those who are naive enough to believe they matter. The one's I've actually noticed are in places with a high enough volume of customers that there isn't enough eyeballs to police similarly naive folks pointing guns every which way.:ugh: The signs don't hurt my feelings.

BTW - I'm pretty good at CC. I practice so I can be when it's important. ;)

Last edited:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    No loaded firearms seems like a sensible sign to me. Anybody who treats their weapon with respect would not unholster unnecessarily, and because they left it in the holster no one will ask if its loaded. If you pull your weapon and someone ask you if its loaded and you say yes then you deserve to be drop kicked off the property. I have never seen a shop with a no carry sign. Just a no loaded carry sign. I'm ok with that.

Don't bet on it...
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/local-gun-shops/314054-bradis-ii-not-gun-friendly.html
    There are many other cases and shops as well.

I don't open carry much unless I'm doing things here on the farm. When I see these type of signs and hear how the shop owners are treating some of their customers I take note. I have a list of shops and other businesses that I won't deal with due to one reason or another. So far this year I've bought 3 long guns and 7 handguns. Only one came from a shop that had a sign on the door (the above mentioned shop). I went very far out of my way to check out "the gun shop of the year". If I had read up on all the issues before hand then I would have went somewhere else, as I will do in the future.

A message to all the gun shops and businesses...

Some of us do pay attention. Some of us do remember. All of us tell our friends and family how we are treated. Customer service does matter.

Top Bottom