• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hmm...the list that immediately comes to mind includes the Hi-Power, the CZ75, the Glock 17 among others, but it's hard not to go with the 1911. With all that has changed in the past 100 years, the 1911 is still very hard to beat.

PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    1911, Colt SAA, S&W MDL 19 4in, Browning Hi-Power, HK P7, Luger, HK USP, SIG P220, CZ75, Ruger 22's, Glock 17, S&W 5906, Beretta 92, Colt Python.

My alltime list in no particular order.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    The P01, then G 19,

Greatest would have to be well defined, but rate of issuance and carry say a lot (yes the 17 is issued more than the 19 but for no reason).

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Colt SAA
    Colt 1911
    Browning Hi Power
    Walther P 38
    S&W K Frame
    Colt Python
    Ruger semi auto 22
    CZ 75
    Glock 17

All of these are great guns and changed the shooting world during the time of their introduction. To many great guns to pick just one, but if forced I'd have to go with the 1911. It has stood the test of time and is probably more popular today than ever. It, along with the CZ75, is probably the most copied pistol in the world. The 1911 is used for plinking, self defense, target shooting and by elite fighting units the world over. :twocents:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Maybe not practical but -
    I'm into .50 BMG Handguns.

1271786111.jpg

k86287_50BMG.jpg

50bmgpistol.jpg

50bmg-desert-eagle.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Subjective threads like this are fun, aren't they?

I think that a better thread might be "Paradigm-shifting handguns"

Because I think you have to look at each individual handgun almost in a vacuum; that is, nothing that has come after it can be included.

So, comparing a Colt Peacemaker to a Colt 1911 doesn't work because the 1911 didn't exist when the other was around.

But comparing a Colt 1911 to a Colt Peacemaker DOES work.

So, what has shifted the paradigms?

Colt 1851 Navy? Colt Peacemaker? Webley-Fosbury was a technological marvel, but never caught on. Mateba? Do you go by cartridge development? S&W M-27, the first for the .357Mag? What about the S&W M-29, the first with the .44Mag? Both of those have been game-changers, for sure.

Semi-automatics? The Borchardt C-93 is regarded as being the first self-loading pistol. I'd say that was certainly the beginning of a paradigm shift, but probably not a world-changer in and of itself.

Luger pistol? And it's offspring the P38? I think the Luger can be more of a game changer than the P38, even though the P38 was a double action pistol.

I do definitely think that the M1911 pistol was a world-changer.

But then so was the P35 - another basically Browning-designed pistol. ALL double-stack magazine-accepting pistols owe homage to the P-35.

Another shift? The H&K VP70 - the world's first polymer-framed handgun. Just think about all the polymer framed handguns on the market today. They ALL owe their existence to this first one.

It's just that the Glock 17 is generally credited with the change due to myriad factors (price, availability, ease of use, etc).

What about the Smith M-39? Couple the double-action of the Walther P38 with the double stack magazine of the Browning P35... Viola. Another game-changer. Every single double-stack double-action pistol owes homage to the S&W 39.

What do we end up with?

No easy answer... None are right, none are wrong.

What do I think are the game changers...sticking with semi-autos:

Luger
    P35
    S&W 39
    VP 70
    G17

And if/when caseless ammo ever takes off, that'll be a game-changer, too.

-J-

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As silly as it may seem, I really like the slide profile on that.

Shame it isn't real. That's a very clean looking gun.

This looks a lot like one of my Springers. Pretty sexy gun.

Great post on the history (readers digest version) of game changing hand guns.
    It is a personal opinion expressed from experience what we all believe to be
    "The Best"
    If you did not like it you would not have bought it.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Subjective threads like this are fun, aren't they?

I think that a better thread might be "Paradigm-shifting handguns"

Because I think you have to look at each individual handgun almost in a vacuum; that is, nothing that has come after it can be included.

So, what has shifted the paradigms?

-J-

In that same line of thinking, you'd probably have to include the first muzzle-loader type pistol. Incredibly archaic by our standards, but I would imagine underwear sales increased when they were first being used ...if only for the psychological effect (likely they weren't terribly accurate). Talk about bringing a sword to a gun fight! "Bring me my brown pants!" :D

Just to say it's been done, someone ought to come out with a polymer pistol muzzle-loader. Then again, if it has been done before, I wouldn't be surprised. :dunno:

Top Bottom