• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I find this scenario unlikely as everyone knows that they have . . . "common sense.":rolleyes:

No, you don't have common sense, that's why they had to paint the signs to include all four rules. They are life, follow them.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    When you start introducing "what if" ("what if I just cleared it?" "what if I counted the rounds I fired"), etc. then you introduce Margin For Error. If you treat it likes it's always loaded, ESPECIALLY when you think it's unloaded, you reduce the risk of an accidental injury by orders of magnitude.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    When you start introducing "what if" ("what if I just cleared it?" "what if I counted the rounds I fired"), etc. then you introduce Margin For Error. If you treat it likes it's always loaded, ESPECIALLY when you think it's unloaded, you reduce the risk of an accidental injury by orders of magnitude.

I dunno, it seems unnecessarily complicated...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have yet to see a stupid gun "accident" on the news where the shooter didn't break one or more of the 4 safety rules.
    It's always "the gun went off by itself" and the same BS.
    It's never "the shooter was a total idiot who didn't follow the 4 safety rules".

Some people just dont understand the "always loaded thing" I guess.
    They think it's loaded until you unload it, but you CANNOT unload a gun.

For me those things are not accidents, unless the guy was accidentally stupid.
    If my gun that's on the table 10 feet away from me shoots me by itself then it's an accident.If I shoot myself in the foot by pressing the trigger then it's no accident.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have yet to see a stupid gun "accident" on the news where the shooter didn't break one or more of the 4 safety rules.
    It's always "the gun went off by itself" and the same BS.
    It's never "the shooter was a total idiot who didn't follow the 4 safety rules".

Some people just dont understand the "always loaded thing" I guess.
    They think it's loaded until you unload it, but you CANNOT unload a gun.

For me those things are not accidents, unless the guy was accidentally stupid.
    If my gun that's on the table 10 feet away from me shoots me by itself then it's an accident.If I shoot myself in the foot by pressing the trigger then it's no accident.

The only time I consider a gun unloaded is if it is disassembled in some where where it is impossible to fire. If I want to check the bore of a revolver, the cylinder is out and my finger is in the gap. A rifle, the bolt is out and my finger is in the receiver. A semiauto pistol, the barrel is out of the slide.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The only time I consider a gun unloaded is if it is disassembled in some where where it is impossible to fire. If I want to check the bore of a revolver, the cylinder is out and my finger is in the gap. A rifle, the bolt is out and my finger is in the receiver. A semiauto pistol, the barrel is out of the slide.

:yesway: I do the same.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Follow me here: "treat all guns as if they were loaded" tacitly admits that there are, in fact, two states for a firearm - loaded and unloaded.

Silly strawman by someone who should know better.

Rule #1: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED.

The sad side of Rule #1 is that it implies once you've verified a gun is unloaded, the rest of the rules don't apply to it; you may handle it differently.

Absolutely not! The Four Rules light is always on.

And now, a rebuttal to Wild's link, the defense calls Clint Smith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uytPO0UaDM

Last edited:
    Top Bottom