• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Don't tell people like this about gun safety. The world would be a much better place with less stupidity in it. Any guy that demonstrates how safe his pistol/revolver in this manner needs to be removed from the gene pool.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    My Dad had a saying, "everyone knows an unloaded gun kills so I keep mine loaded" meaning a gun is always treated like it is loaded!!! always!! but the guy had to pull the trigger twice!! wow! just wow! You can wade though some peoples gene pool and not even get your socks wet!!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It's simple.

Unloaded gun:

367292_f520.jpg

Loaded gun (with OR without ammo inside):

0m9kwa.jpg

Loaded gun (even with empty chamber and empty magazine):

m9_pfc_3_sfw_0808_f45.jpg

Loaded gun:

Blue_Gun_Beretta_92_Centurion_5952-2976.jpg

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    How exactly do you accidentally put a gun to your head and pull the trigger?????!!!!!!!!!!

By violating at least 3 of the 4 safety rules.

Serious question. When examining a used gun before purchase, it is rarely practical to disassemble the firearm to examine the barrel for wear. How do you check the barrel safely?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    By violating at least 3 of the 4 safety rules.

Serious question. When examining a used gun before purchase, it is rarely practical to disassemble the firearm to examine the barrel for wear. How do you check the barrel safely?

verify it is unloaded and look :dunno: just don't point it at anyone else.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Yep. It's loaded.

The gun is loaded. The gun is still loaded even if you see somebody else clear the gun. The gun is still loaded after you see somebody else clear the gun and then you clear the gun yourself.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The gun is loaded. The gun is still loaded even if you see somebody else clear the gun. The gun is still loaded after you see somebody else clear the gun and then you clear the gun yourself.

I'm not a fan of "All guns are always loaded" simply because that statement is factually incorrect. There are indeed times when guns are unloaded, so saying otherwise makes no sense.

I prefer "Treat all guns as if they are loaded". This recognizes that, while guns can exist in an unloaded condition, we are not to treat them any differently than if they were loaded.

rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    When I train people family/friends, I review the four rules, then I ask them:

"What is the first thing anyone says after an accidental shooting?"

Answer: "I thought it was unloaded"

That seems to really help drive the point home.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    I'm not a fan of "All guns are always loaded" simply because that statement is factually incorrect. There are indeed times when guns are unloaded, so saying otherwise makes no sense.

I prefer "Treat all guns as if they are loaded". This recognizes that, while guns can exist in an unloaded condition, we are not to treat them any differently than if they were loaded.

I understand what you're saying and agree with the last clause. And yet many still [STRIKE]don't[/STRIKE] won't get the message, or act as if it doesn't apply to them. Can describe numerous examples of this, and you might have witnessed some yourself.

I believe the wording, "The gun is always loaded" has more to do with mental programming and driving the point home. The reason why is to develop consistent habits of discipline and safe handling, while guarding against complacency or carelessness.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I believe the wording, "The gun is always loaded" has more to do with mental programming and driving the point home. The reason why is to develop consistent habits of discipline and safe handling, while guarding against complacency or carelessness.

I agree, and do understand why it was put together that way.

I just don't like being grouped in with the lowest-common denominator and made to recite a dogmatic rule that doesn't make any sense to a thinking person.

If "all guns are always loaded" then how does anyone clear them for disassembly? Or dry fire? Or shipping?

The important part is how we treat and handle them. And we should do that as if they were loaded, even if they aren't.

[/semantics rant] ;)

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    When people throw away safety due to ignorance or neglect, bad things are bound to happen. Disregarding firearm safety rules is a disaster waiting to happen. And often does as we read it in the headlines.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    What if you have inspected the chamber with your own eyes? Then dry fire the rifle in a safe direction? Then what?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What if you have inspected the chamber with your own eyes? Then dry fire the rifle in a safe direction? Then what?

What do you think? Would you still point it at your head and pull the trigger? What if you were wrong? What if you made a mistake? Any time you ask "what if?" then you're introducing dangerous, possibly deadly, variables. If you always ALWAYS treat a gun as if it's loaded, then you're much less likely to accidentally murder someone.

Top Bottom