• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been around here for a couple of minutes now and was discussing this topic with my wife just the other day. Over the years I've met a lot of people from this forum through a variety of avenues. I can say with certainty that I never once walked away from meeting a member here and was anything but happy to have met them. It's comforting to know there are good people out there once you get outside of your own friend/family group. We can get a feeling for who someone is on here but nothing beats eye contact, a handshake and in person conversation to solidify those beliefs.

Another layer of that is in taking advantage of the services the members offer. I went through an ordeal with my mother a few months back where a major plumbing/HVAC company was trying to swindle my elderly widowed mother out of $10,000. I met several good, honest and hard working plumbers during that process but it's difficult to trust someone you don't know. When that someone is a member here and values their reputation it makes spending big money a lot easier on the mind. I don't think it's that being able to post something negative about a member on here keeps our members honest, I think it's that the people attracted to INGO and who stick around long enough to build a reputation are the kind of people who don't have to worry about their reputation because they're good men/women.

I wanted to post a public thank you to DocIndy whom I met in person today for the first time. He volunteered to travel over an hour from home to install a mini split for us. We'd received one quote from another company and they wanted to charge more than double for what would likely have been an inferior system. He could have simply stopped at offering his educated advice due to the distance but he went way out of his way to help us, on a Saturday, in the rain, an hour from home, for a very, very reasonable fee.

It's difficult to meet good people these days, at least for me. I've met some truly great people through this place and just wanted to say thanks publicly not only to DocIndy but to everyone else who has helped me out over the years. Hopefully my presence here has offered some small repayment to hold us over until I can repay the kindness I've been shown.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I don't get to meet many INGOers due to my location, but I've driven several hours on a couple occasions to attend meetups. I've never been disappointed. Sadly, some of the most impactful members to me are no longer around.

I remember when I was considering moving to Michigan, I got a phone call from HandK, and spend nearly an hour talking to him. Spent some time on the phone with the Mouse when I had some issues with my air conditioner. And had several run-ins with Big Tanker in the wild.

Out of all the INGOers that I've met, I wouldn't have any problem letting them have my back. Says something about our community.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I don't get to meet many INGOers due to my location, but I've driven several hours on a couple occasions to attend meetups. I've never been disappointed. Sadly, some of the most impactful members to me are no longer around.

I remember when I was considering moving to Michigan, I got a phone call from HandK, and spend nearly an hour talking to him. Spent some time on the phone with the Mouse when I had some issues with my air conditioner. And had several run-ins with Big Tanker in the wild.

Out of all the INGOers that I've met, I wouldn't have any problem letting them have my back. Says something about our community.

Indeed. The kind of folks I want to be known to associate with.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    INGO is filled with good honest people who would go to great lengths to help others in need. I've experienced that kindness firsthand myself when I needed some help in the real not too long ago because of my health issues and they stepped up to help me without hesitation.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

il_794xN.1160896371_aasu.jpg

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Thanks Phylodog, for the high praise. I try to follow the good spirit of our friend ChurchMouse and help others when I can. There are a lot of good members on INGO and it’s more than just a forum. It’s the community that’s been built up over the years. And the friendships…. Those last lifetimes. I know the Mouse was the go to for HVAC advise, but I will try help anyone who asks.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Nicely said ............and could not agree more .
    I can also attest to all positive experiences thru my transactions with many members . I can`t ever recall having a quick meet up .
    Always had pretty lengthy conversation ...................and lots of common topics to share .
    I feel like " I know" many members just following along on the threads . ( I have said many times , I must log in more than most veterans on here buy still don`t engage enough in the conversations )Lots of other distractions and tasks at hand .... I have my list of many that I would enjoy meeting with in person and quite confident that we would have more in common than most would think .
    I could not tell you how often I mention INGO in casual conversation . Lots of connections to many topics .
    Glad to be a part of this forum ..........
    Thanks for sharing your personal message .......( Indeed lots of value here . but not as hidden as one would think .)

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I only know one person irl from INGO and he can be a real Hard *** if the need arises.

But seriously I would make a concerted effort to meet others if geography were not a thing.

I should have swung by when I was in TN!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Yes we would have had plenty of smoked pulled pork and Lemonade

I got to spend some time up this way with some friends from TN this weekend....they brought other folks from TN with them.

There are some great folks in TN....some have been around long enough to know the history.

Great stuff!

Top Bottom