• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I had the pleasure of getting to see one up close the other day. I was out in the back yard and suddenly a little guy was hovering about 3-4' from my head looking at me. He hung out there for about 5 seconds. It was cool. Never seen one that close before.

We had a couple several years ago. One was a real a-hole. The neighbor behind us had an apple tree about 150 feet from our back deck where the feeder was and the a-hole would sit in that tree. Whenever he saw another hummingbird feeding, he would rush out of the tree, fly over to the feeder and harass the other bird until it left, and then he would return to the safety of the tree. Lather, rinse, repeat. Eventually they all stopped coming.

Maybe this was a sign I need to put up a new feeder.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Thanks DoggyDaddy.
    I'm planning on saving the seeds to have more next year.
    Reckon will be planning the place for hummer watching.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks DoggyDaddy.
    I'm planning on saving the seeds to have more next year.
    Reckon will be planning the place for hummer watching.

How long have you had those? I don't need to save seeds. Those little seed pods have a bazillion seeds in each one, and like I said, they wind up everwhere. Which reminds me, I need to pull my last remaining clump so it's not any worse than it's already going to be next year.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    My HEAVY glass hummingbird feeder disappeared last week. I live in the country with no neighbors, so I know a person didn't take it. I have an acre of mowed grass back yard surrounded by 165 acres of woods, and I have yet to find it. I ASSUME it was a BiG raccoon, but I have no idea where he put it. Now I bring in my new feeder every night, and in the morning my hummers are not so patiently waiting for me to put it back out. As ut is, I am filling it two to three times a day.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I just got up this morning and found a hummingbird entangled in a spider web. She was still alive, but not happy until I freed her. I wonder how many perish this way every year? Last year I saw a photo of a praying mantis eating a hummingbird, who would have known.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The problem with hummingbirds is that it takes so many of them to make a decent sandwich. Those breast are really tiny and hard to filet.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    We love feeding and watching them. This morning riding my motorcycle to work had one hit me in the face!!

Told my wife and she said "Is the bird ok??". :dunno:

Don

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Heh, took the kitchen peels to the compost after lunch and got buzzed by the little booger that sits at the back porch. Guess he was just saying Hi there!

IN71vet

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    Noble County, IN
    Wife and I have not seen many if any males since about labor day. But the hornets have moved in and are driving the females away from feeder. I am planning on taking the feeders down in about a week.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Been watching the migration map, theyre headed this way. Talked to some family in Rossville Tennessee and theyre seeing them already.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Hooray, the black chins are back!
    Looks as though we're being homesteaded by a very happy oriole too.

Top Bottom