• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    When I was a very young man, I one made the idiot mark. I had heard of it before hand, I was determined not to make one, and determined to accept it if I did. Well, accept I did. Even got used to it when I would pick a 1911 up second hand. Over time something changed in me. 5-10 times a day I cruise the online classifieds, gun broker, and other outlets scouring for that deal of a lifetime on a 1911. The sight of the mark brings makes me cringe. Oh the horror, like the Hindenburg burting into flames, I nearly weep when I see a perfect pistol and scroll to the picture showing the slide release. I suppose I'll trot off downstairs to pour a glass of whiskey and drown my sorrow over having seen another almost perfect toy.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    You can get 1911s "new" without idiot marks at Bradis or PSS for the same $ and usually lower than the used ones online and elsewhere around town.

Last year I paid about $100 less for a new 1911 than others wanted for used 1911? :rockwoot:

$100 less may not count as your deal of a lifetime, but the "no idiot mark" is priceless! ;)

So far I have not added the idiot mark (and it's my first 1911); but when/if I do, I can try to sell it for more than I paid online. :laugh:

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've said this before and I'll say it again; the 1911 was designed as a combat weapon without much regard to whether it would get dings and scratches on it. Quit fretting over a little scrape.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    Makes you wonder if some 1911 owners never shoot them......Just keep them as safe queens. For me it's a tool and tools are made to be used. Now if your 1911 is engraved or blinged up in someway, the the "idiot" mark syndrome could make for some concern. But then that 1911 is more of a piece of art than a working tool.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I've said this before and I'll say it again; the 1911 was designed as a combat weapon without much regard to whether it would get dings and scratches on it. Quit fretting over a little scrape.

I failed to use the purple tag, hoping that all would be able to see sarcasm for what it is and laugh. Condition doesn't much matter since they are all going to be worn slam out by the time I die.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If a manufacturer were smart, they'd make them with the "Idjit Marque" as a standard feature from the factory.

Just roll mark a curved line down in there. Yes, yes, I know! I'm a genius.

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    I actually didn't know it was called that. After looking up on youtube what you guys were talking about I realized that to my shame, yes my 1911 has the 'idiot mark'. The entire gun's chrome is beautiful other than that one darn mark! I guess I'll man up and take the blame. If only I could force myself to not have personal responsibility... Oh well!

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    Every 1911 I have ever owned has the idiot mark and yes I am the idiot who put them there, happens every time I reassemble my gun. However I have NEVER put an idiot mark any 1911 I have reassembled for someone else... go figure.

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I have one on my springer loaded. I used a bluing pen and you can barley see it. To me wear marks are attractive on the right pistol but an idiot mark looks pretty bad. However, I would rather use it with an idiot mark than have it sit in a safe without.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    There's lots of people on here rationalizing 'idiot marks.' :dunno:

Two important points:
    1. Learn the steps to assemble/disassemble, and how not to make the mistake.
    2. Don't lose your sense of humor if/when you make that mistake!

:popcorn:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Scratches, dings, shiny spots, and holster wear show character in a carry gun.

The "idiot mark" is called that for a reason...

Top Bottom