• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I was very, very careful with my first 1911. Sadly, it now has a slight idiot mark on it, but I take comfort in the fact that I did not put it there myself. Hiker1911 hit it exactly... Learn what you're doing, make sure you take your time and don't make the mistake. Accept it in yourself if you do..... to which I add: ...but only if you made the mistake yourself.

;)

Blessings,
    Bill

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I had to Google this to find out what you guys were talking about. This is just ridiculous. The weapon is designed so that this can easily occur. So it happens. Even to those who think it is important not to have this mark. (Based on above posts).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was teaching my son to clean the 2 1911's we had bought brand new (same day) and the officers model was his Christmas present. He did a fine job the first few times we did the cleaning after the range. The first time he performed the task solo I was presented with my first idiot scratch. My gun, not his. I got over it, I still have the gun, It shoots fine and the mark is a piece of father son history. Oh, he survived.

Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    My 1911 is a RIA Tactical. It looks almost weird without having atleast a couple(NOT A BUNCH!!!:rolleyes:) scratches on it. After all it was designed as mil spec.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Wow..... I have been sadly misinformed..... all this time I thought it was one of these....

GlockG23Closeup.JPG

Who knew?

:D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If it's avoidable, then by all means avoid it. At the same time, carry pistols are tools and tools get worn. If you want resale value, then don't touch it. Ever. Put it in a glass case on your mantle and leave it alone, and then you never have to worry about it getting breathed on wrong. Spend too much time worrying about whether you're going to scratch your tool and one day you may hesitate to use it in case it gets scratched.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    An idiot mark, just tells me that the person has never been taught how to properly reassemble a 1911.

the take down lever was NOT designed to "swing" up into place. line it up w/ the hole, then TAP it down w/ a soft faced hammer or the palm of your hand.

once the takedown lever is in place THEN add your recoil assembly.

I am surprised by the amount of people that hold the slide back under spring tension while either dissasembling OR reassembling.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    An idiot mark, just tells me that the person has never been taught how to properly reassemble a 1911.

the take down lever was NOT designed to "swing" up into place. line it up w/ the hole, then TAP it down w/ a soft faced hammer or the palm of your hand.

I am surprised by the amount of people that hold the slide back under spring tension while either dissasembling OR reassembling.

I must be a bigger idiot than most because my mark did not occur under spring tension. :ingo: ETA: Recoil spring tension that is.

dwp9mm

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greensburg
    I think all of you who say you "NEVER DO THAT" should at least admit you have done it at some point in time. LOL, You guys crack me up......;)

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    was taught by my dad how to take one down and put it together......i do have some with the "mark" that came that way.....yes it's just wear and tear....quit talk about 'em and go shoot them!!!!

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Makes you wonder if some 1911 owners never shoot them......Just keep them as safe queens. For me it's a tool and tools are made to be used. Now if your 1911 is engraved or blinged up in someway, the the "idiot" mark syndrome could make for some concern. But then that 1911 is more of a piece of art than a working tool.

I have a huge desire to purchase a 1911 that I have been lusting after for months now. It's simply a gorgeous gun. But it is DESTINED to become my daily carry gun, so I expect it to get wear marks.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010

This must be why I have managed to take my gun apart hundreds of times without making this mark.

I didnt realize it was possible to do it with the spring in there. :dunno:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    If it's avoidable, then by all means avoid it. At the same time, carry pistols are tools and tools get worn. If you want resale value, then don't touch it. Ever. Put it in a glass case on your mantle and leave it alone, and then you never have to worry about it getting breathed on wrong. Spend too much time worrying about whether you're going to scratch your tool and one day you may hesitate to use it in case it gets scratched.

:yesway: Well said.

Top Bottom