The implications of Christ's Command to Love Your Neighbor, in the world today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Because it was thread drift for that thread, but it was a topic the OP here wanted to discuss. He used the quotes from the other thread to lay the foundation for the discussion here.

It is not actually a topic that I wanted to discuss. It was started in the other thread and CM asked for it to stop in that thread.

In love of CM and other members I started this thread. I do not have much to say on this subject, but I am interested in how others will expound on it.

On the tenth I will have been Saved for 43 years, so I am a youngster sitting at the feet of giants.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't mean to claim that anyone is "judging" me or anyone else.
    Judging often has two connotations; pointing out an error or condemning as beyond redemption. I believe the latter is what is used when Jesus says, "Judge not, lest ye be judged."
    If you "judge" a fellow Christian to be doing wrong and harming himself, others, or the faith, if is (in my opinion) appropriate to gently pull him aside and state your opinion. It is not (again, in my opinion) appropriate to "judge" him as beyond the saving grace of Jesus Christ and worthy only of "the fires of hell."
    I may rightly point out what I believe is right or wrong, but God, alone, has authority to "judge" another person as redeemed or not.

Yes, just trying to say we all have beliefs, but God knows the truth.

Gotcha.

And agreed.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Since it was my comment that started the discussion I will be returning to this later. I'm pretty new in my spiritual walk and I'm really just trying to work out what those scriptures actually mean for me. I've had more time to think on it and discuss with a few other men in my church, so I'll come back and add some of my thoughts later this evening.

My intent certainly wasn't to toss those two scriptures into the discussion and then slam the door shut and walk away. I'm still pretty inexperienced at studying the Word. I appreciate all of the perspective.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Blessed be the Lord,
    My rock who trains my hands for war,
    My fingers for battle.
    - Psalm 144:1

The love I'll show to my enemies who would force me to defend myself, is proper shot placement.
    I'd provide references but they didn't make it.

Tried to rep you TT but AGAIN I'm told I have to spread it around more:xmad:. It would seem that my opinion is very few people merit rep, but what do I know. :twocents:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Since it was my comment that started the discussion I will be returning to this later. I'm pretty new in my spiritual walk and I'm really just trying to work out what those scriptures actually mean for me. I've had more time to think on it and discuss with a few other men in my church, so I'll come back and add some of my thoughts later this evening.

My intent certainly wasn't to toss those two scriptures into the discussion and then slam the door shut and walk away. I'm still pretty inexperienced at studying the Word. I appreciate all of the perspective.
    Not familiar with the other thread.
    I am always encouraged to see men of faith speaking up when I might not expect it.
    I have been saved 34 years, and still struggle mightily with these scriptures, trying to parse out right and wrong, the right and the wrong of what others are doing as well as my reaction, if any.
    My only advice to you as you look for THE truth (as opposed to the now common "my" truth) is to realize that you can find what you believe to be the answer, but don't hem yourself in to what you may grow into. In other words, we are allowed to change our minds, and we need to allow ourselves that.

These are some really tough times to resist being bloodthirsty. It seems that being bloodthirsty is an easier answer than showing ultimate grace and unlimited forgiveness. I know I don't have any good answers. I am influenced both ways though, from bloodthirsty to peace and turning the other cheek is the only way forward, which at first seem like they might be extreme opposites but I'm not even sure of that.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Step 1- don't try to apply any of those passages to what governments should do. Governments have different responsibilities than individuals. These are aimed at individuals only.
    Am I correct in assuming you define governments in this case as doing something through their standing army? Maybe law enforcement? I'm wondering how you define who is in that government? Looking through my lens I may muddy the lines, thinking I am supposed to be part of the defenders, or caretakers. The opposite is a part of what anti 2A'ers argue. To continue with that logic, we tend to think of things in our modern, American terms, but how does this fit in with the rest of the world throughout history, ancient and modern? (The Scripture covers it all, which is amazing!)
    The government is only made up of individuals, and if those individuals carry their convictions through then the top level, the end game, should have the same results as the individual.
    Are there really two different sets of rules? Is it possible that we are allowed to defend our "stuff", our own "little kingdoms" just like a big government would do?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have been struggling with the idea of loving my neighbor, particularly in current circumstances. The division, hate, violence and general aggression is off the charts. There are literally people targeting others for violence or death based on their political viewpoint and it’s happening on a widespread scale.

I, like most other freedom loving people, will not sit idle while there are people actively working to destroy the country and what it stands for. I will not be a pacifist when it comes time to fight for our freedoms. So what does it mean to love my enemies in these modern times? How can I love those who would deliberately dismantle the country and are willing to attack me and my family physically or socially?

First, I will not abdicate my God-given right to freely defend my ideas and beliefs. I will not waiver in my duty as a citizen to speak up in defense of American ideals and biblical values. As Moses said about the tribe of Judah:

Oh Lord, hear the cry of Judah and bring them together as a people. Give them strength to defend their cause, help them against their enemies. - Deuteronomy 22:23-27

I will be bold in the defense of my beliefs, in my works, and through spreading His Word.

For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die. - Phillipians 1:20.

Second, I will not relinquish my God given right to protect myself, my family or my property.

11 Meanwhile, our enemies were saying, “Before they know what’s happening, we will swoop down on them and kill them and end their work.”

12 The Jews who lived near the enemy came and told us again and again, “They will come from all directions and attack us!”[a] 13 So I placed armed guards behind the lowest parts of the wall in the exposed areas. I stationed the people to stand guard by families, armed with swords, spears, and bows.

14 Then as I looked over the situation, I called together the nobles and the rest of the people and said to them, “Don’t be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and glorious, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!”

15 When our enemies heard that we knew of their plans and that God had frustrated them, we all returned to our work on the wall. - Nehemiah 4:11-15.

So if I am willing to defend my values and my body against an attack from my enemies, what can I do to love them?

I can start by deciding that I will not sow division. I’ll approach every interaction and conversation with a desire to understand, empathize and find common ground. I will not mock or try to “score points” or to “win an argument. Division just leads to animosity. I realize this approach is not possible with everyone, as the leftists generally want to shut down conversation and ideas. I won’t waste my time trying to convince those people but I will pray for them.

For the hearts of these people are hardened, and their ears cannot hear, and they have closed their eyes--so their eyes cannot see, and their ears cannot hear, and their hearts cannot understand, and they cannot turn to me and let me heal them. - Acts 28:27

But for those who are willing to have a rational discussion, I will try to create a connection instead of trying to divide. The devil wants us alone and isolated, so that he can sow fear and division into our lives. The only way to defeat the devil is to stand together.

A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken. - Ecclesiastes 4:12

If I love my enemies as myself, it doesn’t mean I have to agree with their destructive ways or ignore their lies. If a family member is addicted to drugs or alcohol I don’t have to ignore their abusive behavior in order to love them. I don’t have to rationalize it away, enable it or endorse it. If I truly love them I will call out the destructive behavior and pray that they get help to heal. The same goes for radical leftists and insane SJWs. I don’t have to placate their demands or temper tantrums. I have a duty to call them out while offering guidance and an understanding heart.

A majority of the people supporting this “movement” are useful idiots that have no moral foundation so they are easily influenced and duped into supporting this destructive ideology.

Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. - 1 Peter 5:8

To truly love them, I will pray for the Lord to touch their hearts so they may see they’re being exploited and used by evil people seeking power. If I truly love my neighbor I want them to have a good relationship with God and to know him through his son Jesus Christ.

“Then we will no longer be immature like children. We won’t be tossed and blown about by every wind of new teaching. We will not be influenced when people try to trick us with lies so clever they sound like love. Instead, we will speak truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church.” Ephesians 4:14-15.

Loving my enemy means being quick to extend grace and slow to take offense. It means speaking softly with gentle words.

A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare. - Proverbs 15:1

The tongue of the wise makes knowledge appealing, but the mouth of a fool belches out foolishness. - Proverbs 15:2

Gentle words are a tree of life; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit. - Proverbs 15:5

To me that means a few things things:

1) If I use gentle words to counter the shrieks and lies of those who seek to divide and destroy, not only will I enrich my Spirit, but I will be more persuasive to those who are open-minded.

2) People who use deceitful tongues will have their Spirit crushed, and will not be in good standing with God. Nor will they lead joyful lives.

I’m sure I could go on and on to find other examples of how loving someone doesn’t mean endorsing their destructive actions, so I”ll wrap it up.

I’m new in my faith walk and knew it would be foolish to simply take those passages literally without defining what it means to “love” in a biblical sense. Digging into the Scriptures did really help crystalize my thinking on this as I examine my thoughts for Godly accuracy.

Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. - Romans 12:2

*All verses referenced are New Living Translation.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Bumping because I have been thinking about this concept again lately.
    Thank you for doing so, because I hadn’t seen it before. I’m also early in my walk of faith, having become a Catholic last summer. Your “term paper “ was truly excellent, concrete proof that the Holy Spirit works through individuals, and that this world would be a much better place if more of us opened our hearts to Jesus.

I’m early in the process of learning to truly love my “enemies” (I’m blessed this includes only those I’ve had strong ideological disagreement with). I’ve already learned how liberating even small acts of forgiveness (such as walking away from an argument instead of engaging in it) are, and how burdensome being unforgiving has been to me over the years.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've been listening to the Holy Post podcast a lot (can't get enough "news of the butt" :): ), and one episode they they were discussing how our churches have become really comfortable for us, and maybe we need to let go of some of that so that it's comfortable for others.

(I highly recommend that podcast.)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I've been listening to the Holy Post podcast a lot (can't get enough "news of the butt" :): ), and one episode they they were discussing how our churches have become really comfortable for us, and maybe we need to let go of some of that so that it's comfortable for others.

(I highly recommend that podcast.)
    Start by standing through the entire service.

Top Bottom