The implications of Christ's Command to Love Your Neighbor, in the world today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Well, this thread was an interesting read.

I don't really have anything really insightful or well-thought-out to add. I just have an observation that it's interesting to me that some people see Christ's commandment to love everyone (including you enemies) as a rule with exceptions, those exceptions being times when you have to, for example, use violence to defend yourself or other innocents.

I always thought of it differently; the commandment to love your enemies is a rule that admits of no exceptions, it's just that, as weird as it sounds at first, sometimes using force, even the ultimate force of deadly violence, to stop someone from committing evil, is showing love, particularly because you're showing love for the other innocent lives that person will end if they are not stopped.

This interpretation I guess is why I never, personally, agreed with the idea that it's okay to shoot someone for stealing. I've heard things like "If someone tries to steal my property they're the ones who decided their life was worth less than my stuff" and other similar statements that seem to imply the belief that deadly force is justified when defending one's possessions. But I just never could reconcile that sentiment with a Christian viewpoint.

Christ's commandment to turn the other cheek when someone strikes you means that we must be willing to suffer injustice to the fullest extent we can. If someone is stealing things from me that aren't a necessity for me to live, in my mind, yes, I will try to stop them with non-deadly force, and I will hope that the state can apprehend them and stop them from stealing, and hopefully administer consequences that will help them see the error of their ways. That's because truly showing love to them involves not letting them get away with crimes, which will only encourage them to continue a life of sin that ultimately could lead them to hell. But if I kill someone to stop them from taking my stuff, I am quite likely cutting off their chance to repent, and causing them to die in a state of sin, and this is the worst thing that can ever happen; certainly much worse than myself suffering material loss, unjust as it may be.

But, on the other hand, if someone is taking innocent human life, they need to be stopped right then, and if violent force is the only way, that needs to be done, because failure to do so would be a failure to show love for the innocents they are attempting to harm.

Anyways, just my rambling thoughts on the subject, I'm sure others can put it better...

Top Bottom