• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Snapdragon, props to you for making a change! We have people at our crossfit gym who can't do a push up, a pull-up, or even much of a squat right now. Everything can be scaled.

go to a wall and hold your arms out to touch it with your palms. Bend your elbows, straighten your elbows. Repeat. After you feel good with that stand further away and lean further. When you get good at that lean onto your bathroom counter, and so on until you're more horizontal, then you can be on your knees doing them.

building muscle will help burn fat and help you feel better. As was said, lots of protein in your diet.

Take lots of opportunities to increase your activity. Drink tons of water as a filler, and it makes you get up and pee at work :):

also don't judge yourself by looking at others, you're not them. Write down your workouts and a sentence of how you felt, and the effort you feel you gave. It's a good way to follow your progress and motivate yourself.

good luck! Remember, in two weeks you'll not be where you want to be but you won't be where you were!

Thanks, Doc. I appreciate the suggestions. Baby steps.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    *hi-fives BnB*

giphy_zpsxvtjxvn8.gif

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I'll get in on this for sure. I currently weigh over 400lbs. It is ridiculous. I'm 6'2" age 26 and all of my family members have always been big and had a lot of health issues. I have a mostly sedentary job currently (hoping to change this soon.)

In the past I have lost over 75+lbs by eating moderately and exercising on an eliptical once for 30 minutes every 2 days. When I took this job that all changed. I stopped going to the gym, stopped eating in moderation, and slowly grew lazier over the years and gained it all back.

I want to get into shape. I need to reverse my course or I will end up with diabetes and an early death. Motivation is one of the hardest things for me to maintain, but I know once I start it'll be easier than it feels right now.

Chasing a biscuit around the ice will get you in shape.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Chasing a biscuit around the ice will get you in shape.

I can't ice skate worth a **** :): but I have been doing a lot of chores around the house and property that I haven't had to do at other homes before. I ahve been more active lately than in the past few years and it has shown. I just need to stick with it and eat healthier.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Also, if you're not having fun working out/exercising, you won't stick with it either.

I started by going with my dad, which motivated me to not cut corners and stick to a routine and do it right.

Now I've been going with my wife (while my dad's recovering from shoulder injury). It still helps to have someone to go with so you stick to it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'll get in on this for sure. I currently weigh over 400lbs. It is ridiculous. I'm 6'2" age 26 and all of my family members have always been big and had a lot of health issues. I have a mostly sedentary job currently (hoping to change this soon.)

In the past I have lost over 75+lbs by eating moderately and exercising on an eliptical once for 30 minutes every 2 days. When I took this job that all changed. I stopped going to the gym, stopped eating in moderation, and slowly grew lazier over the years and gained it all back.

I want to get into shape. I need to reverse my course or I will end up with diabetes and an early death. Motivation is one of the hardest things for me to maintain, but I know once I start it'll be easier than it feels right now.
    Come roll with me homie!

I've posted a bit of my journey in the Tactics and Training forum, but I'll cross-post a bit here. I've always been a bit of a fat bastard. I was about 285 in 2006 when I quit smoking... By 2009 I had gained over 130lbs. By 2012, I had started smoking again among other unhealthy choices and ended up in the ICU at just over 450lbs. A chunk of that was water weight due to CHF and crazy high blood pressure. Immediate changes to lifestyle were necessary. I quit smoking and quit drinking, and drastically changed my eating habits. Every milligram of sodium had to be counted, which eliminated nearly everything but scratch made stuff at home.

Since then I've tried various diets and exercise routines and yo-yo'd anywhere between 370 and 400. A couple months ago, I started training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and fell in love with it. Every class completely kicks my ass, but It's a blast. I'm only down 10lbs in those 2 months, but I feel better than I have in years and my mobility and flexibility have drastically improved. I no longer have to crawl to a couch or chair to get up off the floor. Also, though the scale hasn't moved much yet, my clothes fit better.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    You look healthier man. You can absolutely see it in your face. Having fun while exercising is a big key to success. I hate sweating but if I'm having fun I don't mind at all.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    280 lb fatty here, my weaknesses are sweets, loving unhealthy food, overeating & pretty sure vegetables are of the devil!

I'm a stress eater & obviously not good at handling stress.

Hope to help encourage here! I do weight work outs 2/week & Pickleball on Monday nights. Adding heavy bag workouts this week, & looking to add some more cardio (I hate cardio). Have started drinking shakes in morning (Oats, Spinnach, & fruit), & skipping my previous biscuits/gravy, sausage/egg samich, etc.

Blessings & hopefully we can make progress together.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Hey Snap! :wavey:

I'm sorry you feel discouraged when you look at the other fitness thread.
    That is not the goal of that thread.
    No matter how fit we are we should all look kindly at others and encourage them to better themselves.
    I'm a fit/skinny guy and I have much respect for chubby people who want to lose weight.
    You don't have to be able to do 100 pushups to get my support or to impress me; if you go from not doing any kind of fitness exercice to doing 10 pushups a day that is equally awesome to me.

I can't stand skinny *******s who look down at overweight people and make them feel bad. :rolleyes:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood

No matter how fit we are we should all look kindly at others and encourage them to better themselves.
    I'm a fit/skinny guy and I have much respect for chubby people who want to lose weight.
    You don't have to be able to do 100 pushups to get my support or to impress me; if you go from not doing any kind of fitness exercice to doing 10 pushups a day that is equally awesome to me.

I can't stand skinny *******s who look down at overweight people and make them feel bad. :rolleyes:
    :+1:
    Yeah, looking down on someone who's overweight but actively trying to fix it is about as stupid as it gets. Not saying that anyone was doing that in the other thread.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

However supportive it may be, I still read this entire post in a snotty and condescending French accent in my head. :laugh:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think the hardest thing for me is losing weight and keeping it off. I quit smoking about 14yrs ago and that was a piece of cake compared to keeping the weight off. That being said I do know how to lose the weight. About 8yrs. ago I weighed 360lb. and I subsequently lost over 100lbs and got down to about 240lbs. I found that what worked best for my is not following any strict fad diet but I did change my eating habits. No more fast foods, eating better quality foods at home and watching my portion sizes. It's surprising what a simple 3 step approach like that can accomplish.

Now back to my current situation. My current weight hovers around 350 lbs. I unfortunately have gained the weight back due to being laid up from an injury at work that took me about 20 months to recuperate from. In that time I was inactive from being laid up and I totally lost the motivation that I previously had when I lost the weight about 8yrs ago. Motivation is my biggest issue right now. I have a hypothyroid condition that screws up my metabolism and it's really easy to put the weight on unless I'm highly motivated to overcome the obstacle.

I know how to lose the weight. I've done it before. Just gotta get the motivation to take the journey once again.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Yeah, looking down on someone who's overweight but actively trying to fix it is about as stupid as it gets. Not saying that anyone was doing that in the other thread.
    I've had people yell rude **** at me when I'm out walking or riding my bike and it really flips my rage switch. Not only am I making an effort, but it's none of their ****ing business anyway.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Yeah I haven't seen that in the other thread either, but if some people feel bad and not welcome in that thread because they are not fit is just as bad. :)

Top Bottom