• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I'm 270, and have started walking 4 miles every morning (well, not this week, school has decided to take a dump on my schedule). One piece of advice I have for people (that I don't do myself, because I'm a hypocrite) is mow the lawn. Like push mow it. Without a self propelled engine. Not only do you get a heck of a workout (our quarter acre takes about 1-1.5 hours depending on how thick the grass is), you get to accomplish something.

The biggest reason I have a riding mower (which takes about a half an hour) is because I'm usually not at home from 7 am to 10 pm. And you really can't mow at 5 am.

Best of luck Snap and I hope you find something that works. I have eliminated many sweets from my diet (not all) and am drinking a ton of water. Sadly, I don't drink or smoke, so I don't have those spare calories. Oh, and quit drinking pop if you do. That is really bad on sugar and empty calories.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This is a great way to start Snap! Support of friends can be really helpful. I had some health issues diagnosed back in February and have been working to bring my weight and BP down and have had some success so far. In Feb, I was 198lbs at 5'7" with a BP of around 175/95. My goal is to maintain my weight between 160 and 165 and right now, I'm right at about 171 with normal BP. About 10 years ago, I got down to 158 but once I hit my goal, I went right back to my old habits and the weight came right back. Then, I had a goal to lose weight. Now, I have a goal to be in a specific weight range. The problem with having a goal to lose weight is that it's a temporary thing. Other things have are helping me to get where I need to be is focusing on the mindset. When I'm in the mindset that knows my weight is 160-165, then I feel wrong being heavier. It makes being heavier unlike who I think I am.

If I can maintain the mindset that I am an active 160ish lbs, then I'll be fine. My trigger weight is 165. Anything over that and I lower calories and raise my activity. Some of the things I still struggle with is trying to limit free nights. It messes with my mindset in that I tell myself that I don't eat desserts, yet if on a free night, I eat dessert then my mindset changes from I don't to I do, but don't want to. Little things like that screw with me.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    In January 2015 was pushing 200 lbs and dropped 40 lbs in two weeks due to a life threatening illness...But once the weight was off I decide to keep it off...What I learned during that time when I was doing my reversal surgery was that I really don't need that much food and I sometimes just ate for the sake of eating....It's been well over a year and I am at 5' 8" and 170 lbs....I do 100 curls a day with 20 lb dumbells and graze rather than eat...I have heard of fruits and vegetables but my stomach has not...I think I ate a banana once in about 2010....I cut up an apple once about the same time and ate some bites off of it....

I no longer eat fast food and if I could eliminate soft drinks I would probably drop another 20 lbs....

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Hello my peeps!

I have struggled all my life with weight, I have probably gained and lost several of me's over the years but as I get closer to turning 50 this year I realize its getting a lot harder to lose weight. I used to be able to run but due to health issues am not allowed to anymore I have started trying to walk more. I know I have to get a handle on my eating choices but man its hard after a lifetime of poor habits!

thanks for starting this thread and I look forward to participating in it! I am starting with a goal of losing a hundred pounds!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Oh look, a thread I can relate to. Sedentary job, boredom eating, and getting myself motivated to exercise are my banes. Back in high school/early college I was still active enough and my jobs kept me on my feet but later college involved remote campus and vehicle use. My jobs transitioned from entirely on my feet in a shop to mostly on my feet in a parts store, then sometimes on my feet in engine testing, to almost never on my feet in the certification lab (which got me the last 50 lbs), to full on desk job. Unfortunately I chose to live in the country to have space for privacy, guns, cars, play space so getting to work without vehicular aid is low on my list.

To add depressing insult to injury, my wife recently slipped UNDER 100 lbs. She sits around more than I do but has an amazing metabolism, never really learned to seek feeling "full", and her parents never once said finish what's on your plate (and she never does) whereas my parents did so I clean my plate...then hers...then our 3 year olds. I actually used to eat more and worse but the trick was I actually moved during the course of the day. Not as bad as some of you have mentioned (6'5" 275) but that's no excuse (family history of obesity and diabetes, ridability/nvh issues with the motorcycle, vehicle fitment issues not related to height, clothing and carry issues, etc). In pics from my brothers wedding not too long ago I absolutely dwarf everyone :(). Maybe public mention will tip the scales and motivate me to hop on the treadmill.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Might as well chime in. Like most I've always been on the heavy side. After I graduated college I had no immediate employment and lived with my folks. That forced me to eat very healthily at home and I didn't have the cash for fast food. Also rode my bike a lot for something to do in the evenings. I remember being around 215 at that time (5'8"). Scaled up over the years and hit around 270 in 2000. Getting a C-Pap for my apnea dropped me to 245 pretty quick. Changing eating habits, reducing stress and starting Hot Yoga 5 days a week in 2001 knocked maybe 10 pounds more off but mainly cut 2.5" off my waist. Return of bad habits and I have run up from 235 to 285 in the last 15 years.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I am jealous of people who can gain weight. I'm 6'1'' and 140 lbs. +-. I was told to eat 6000 calories a day to gain minimal weight. Can't do it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Since nutrition is the most important part of any fitness plan (no matter if you want to lose fat or gain muscle, or both) I thought we could have a thread about that too.

We could share meals ideas and encourage eachother to eat and cook healthy food.
    Post whatever you're eating each day, possibly with pictures.
    It could be a good way to help eachother be motivated and be accountable whenever you eat junk food.

Anyone be interested by the idea?
    If not it would be mosty pics of me eating Oreos lol ...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...go-official-nutrition-thread.html#post6604056

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Finally got serious about losing weight. Started last Sept. by taking a 12 week course at hospital covering diet and exercise. Biggest help for me was being educated in diet/ nutrition. Set daily limit of calories, grams fat, sugar, sodium, etc., etc. & used online website to track everything going into my mouth. Went from 200 down to 160 ( high school graduation weight ) with BMI and body fat % in low portion of acceptible range by early January. Have maintained that thru today. I do consume more and indulge a little more than during weight lose period but should I start to gain I now have knowledge & tools to reverse it. I am determined to not go back.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Since nutrition is the most important part of any fitness plan (no matter if you want to lose fat or gain muscle, or both) I thought we could have a thread about that too.

We could share meals ideas and encourage eachother to eat and cook healthy food.
    Post whatever you're eating each day, possibly with pictures.
    It could be a good way to help eachother be motivated and be accountable whenever you eat junk food.

Anyone be interested by the idea?
    If not it would be mosty pics of me eating Oreos lol ...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...go-official-nutrition-thread.html#post6604056

Great idea, Sylvain.
    Hey Snap! :wavey:

I'm sorry you feel discouraged when you look at the other fitness thread.
    That is not the goal of that thread.
    No matter how fit we are we should all look kindly at others and encourage them to better themselves.
    I'm a fit/skinny guy and I have much respect for chubby people who want to lose weight.
    You don't have to be able to do 100 pushups to get my support or to impress me; if you go from not doing any kind of fitness exercice to doing 10 pushups a day that is equally awesome to me.

I can't stand skinny *******s who look down at overweight people and make them feel bad. :rolleyes:

And about the Fitness Club thread... nobody looked down on me or made me feel badly on purpose. I just don't feel I fit in with the fitness geeks. It's my own issue, but I will always feel insecure in a crowd of fit people talking about how to get even fitter when I'm struggling to lose half my body weight. I need to be among my own kind. ;)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Great idea, Sylvain.

And about the Fitness Club thread... nobody looked down on me or made me feel badly on purpose. I just don't feel I fit in with the fitness geeks. It's my own issue, but I will always feel insecure in a crowd of fit people talking about how to get even fitter when I'm struggling to lose half my body weight. I need to be among my own kind. ;)

I can understand that Snap.
    No matter how fit you are you can feel insecure around people who can lift more weight than you I guess, but you can also use that as a way to motivate you to reach their level.

I'm myself not a "fitness geek", I'm always learning stuff from people with more experience.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    It it a heart rate issue or a knees/hips issue? If it is the latter than perhaps try an elliptical. If my knees are yelling at me I hop on an elliptical as the strain is much easier.

Its a knees/hips issue, I had a heart scan 2 years ago and thankfully got a perfect score! I tried an elliptical a while back and holy cow I could hardly walk the next day (muscles) :D man I went way to much on it! My part time job I have access to one but to be honest I have been using the treadmill more but will start alternating between the two to shake things up.

For supper tonight we are have skinless and boneless chicken, peppers and onion over rice with Worcestershire sauce. My biggest trial tonight will be portion control!

Top Bottom