• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    HRM has been my go to tool for 20 years or more to match one type work out with another. When one gets boring I'll just do something else or ride somewhere else and try to maintain the same HRM for the same length of time. To me that is a good measure of making the same effort and getting essentially the same benefit with out getting bored out of my mind.

Right now I'm feeling pretty screwed over by Schwinn and Polar because the battery ran down in my Polar chest strap HRM that matches up with the Schwinn electronics and neither one is making any effort to help me get something that will work together. Right now I'm working with old stuff but for the money they want for one of these bikes they should make sure it matches up with what you need to use it. It is all still on going so far.

XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    HRM has been my go to tool for 20 years or more to match one type work out with another. When one gets boring I'll just do something else or ride somewhere else and try to maintain the same HRM for the same length of time. To me that is a good measure of making the same effort and getting essentially the same benefit with out getting bored out of my mind.

Right now I'm feeling pretty screwed over by Schwinn and Polar because the battery ran down in my Polar chest strap HRM that matches up with the Schwinn electronics and neither one is making any effort to help me get something that will work together. Right now I'm working with old stuff but for the money they want for one of these bikes they should make sure it matches up with what you need to use it. It is all still on going so far.
    I use a basic arm band wearable made by Powr Labs, they have other options like chest straps too.

It connects to my polar fitness app flawlessly and it auto connects to my rower and ski erg.

The high point is their customer service in my mind. I had my arm band for over two years and it failed and I emailed them fully prepared to get rejected because I was outside of warranty by a few months and they sent me a brand new one immediately.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I am quietly struggling with an addiction to sweets. When I binge, I will eat just about anything sweet, including pure sugar, cereal by the handful out of the box, or the occasional raw packet of instant oatmeal. (Oprah once said her lowest moment was when she put maple syrup on a hot dog bun, and I can relate.) I know I need to cut out sugar completely to clear it from my system (I've done it before), but easier said than done. My mom is 90 and underweight and needs calories, so I can't eliminate sugar from the house completely. I need to be a big girl and just stay away, but apparently I am not strong enough. I have already gained back 6 lbs from my low of 207. I need to get a grip before I gain any more. I have considered Overeaters Anonymous, but I can't leave Mom to go to the meetings. I may have to take her with me.

Thanks for listening to my stream-of-consciousness babble. Any suggestions would be welcome.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am quietly struggling with an addiction to sweets. When I binge, I will eat just about anything sweet, including pure sugar, cereal by the handful out of the box, or the occasional raw packet of instant oatmeal. (Oprah once said her lowest moment was when she put maple syrup on a hot dog bun, and I can relate.) I know I need to cut out sugar completely to clear it from my system (I've done it before), but easier said than done. My mom is 90 and underweight and needs calories, so I can't eliminate sugar from the house completely. I need to be a big girl and just stay away, but apparently I am not strong enough. I have already gained back 6 lbs from my low of 207. I need to get a grip before I gain any more. I have considered Overeaters Anonymous, but I can't leave Mom to go to the meetings. I may have to take her with me.

Thanks for listening to my stream-of-consciousness babble. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    I have a binge problem my self. It is all or nothing and some times it can take a while to get back in the good habits. I would like to share a suggestion that may or may not help but it has got me "past the cookie" jar before with minimal damage. If I don't BUY cookies and don't talk the wife in to BAKING cookies, I'm usually good. Once those cookies are baked though, THEY WILL GET EATEN.

Try whip cream. Not ready whip in a big bowl. Just a can. Never close the refrigerator door with it in your hand. Many times I can satisfy that urge with just a spoon or a little whip on top, and put it back will help me get away from the draw of the fridge that can feel like a Star Trek tractor beam some times. The stuff really doesn't have a killer pile of calories or carbs in it and it is pretty cheap.

Kroger generic whip is less than a can of Redi Whip and holds double the amount of product. I can't taste a difference between the two. Whip cream on a hand full of frozen grapes or frozen banana slices has save me a few times from a deep dive in to the Ruffles or Oreo bag.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have a binge problem my self. It is all or nothing and some times it can take a while to get back in the good habits. I would like to share a suggestion that may or may not help but it has got me "past the cookie" jar before with minimal damage. If I don't BUY cookies and don't talk the wife in to BAKING cookies, I'm usually good. Once those cookies are baked though, THEY WILL GET EATEN.

Try whip cream. Not ready whip in a big bowl. Just a can. Never close the refrigerator door with it in your hand. Many times I can satisfy that urge with just a spoon or a little whip on top, and put it back will help me get away from the draw of the fridge that can feel like a Star Trek tractor beam some times. The stuff really doesn't have a killer pile of calories or carbs in it and it is pretty cheap.

Kroger generic whip is less than a can of Redi Whip and holds double the amount of product. I can't taste a difference between the two. Whip cream on a hand full of frozen grapes or frozen banana slices has save me a few times from a deep dive in to the Ruffles or Oreo bag.
    Thank you so much. I do have a can of Reddi Whip in the fridge, leftover from a pie I didn't bake at Christmas. One thing that helps me a little is to buy a bag of small apples. Apples have a lot of carbs, but the very small ones aren't too bad. I can say that I will cut a big apple and only eat half, but I end up eating the whole thing. Also, Cuties or other teeny tiny orange things are a nice portion-controlled snack.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like apple and fruits to and I KNOW how easy it is to plan to piece out and it is ALL gone before it gets in the fridge. Grapes, apples, bananas, oh yeah... another one down, another one gone....

BUT, if I pull all those grapes off the stems and FREEZE them in a bowl it is EASY to grab a few and close the door. Same with slicing up a banana really thin. Freeze it on wax paper and then you can keep it frozen in a ziplock. Freezing them will slow you down eating them. More than a couple of those banana slices will give me brain freeze quicker than ice cream, AND they are less calorie or carbs than a small frozen yogurt.

One banana will usually hold my fruit / ice cream / sweets urge for a few days eating a few slices a day.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I like apple and fruits to and I KNOW how easy it is to plan to piece out and it is ALL gone before it gets in the fridge. Grapes, apples, bananas, oh yeah... another one down, another one gone....

BUT, if I pull all those grapes off the stems and FREEZE them in a bowl it is EASY to grab a few and close the door. Same with slicing up a banana really thin. Freeze it on wax paper and then you can keep it frozen in a ziplock. Freezing them will slow you down eating them. More than a couple of those banana slices will give me brain freeze quicker than ice cream, AND they are less calorie or carbs than a small frozen yogurt.

One banana will usually hold my fruit / ice cream / sweets urge for a few days eating a few slices a day.
    Thank you.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    OK, Operation "Take Control" has started. Picked up some small apples, mandarin oranges, pecans, cashews, cheese sticks, cottage cheese, Slim Jims, and fruity gum. I was hoping that Extra still made that "dessert" gum, but I guess it's been discontinued.

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    To get over the carb addiction you have to stop eating carbs. Your blood glucose level will stabilize and you avoid the glucose dips that give you the craving. That does mean all sugars. An apple has 20 carbs, bananas are high in sugar. The fruits we can get are modified for more sugar and meat than wild fruits.

Some carbs a day can be consumed but probably no more than 20 to 40. That’s if you want to lose weight. A strapping 20 year old can probably eat anything but that’s not me anymore.

Hey, we are just human but our bodies do react in a fairly predictable way. If you eat sugars, you will want sugars. I gave up all sugars and no longer crave them and boy I loved those M&Ms and Costco chocolate chip cookies!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    To get over the carb addiction you have to stop eating carbs. Your blood glucose level will stabilize and you avoid the glucose dips that give you the craving. That does mean all sugars. An apple has 20 carbs, bananas are high in sugar. The fruits we can get are modified for more sugar and meat than wild fruits.

Some carbs a day can be consumed but probably no more than 20 to 40. That’s if you want to lose weight. A strapping 20 year old can probably eat anything but that’s not me anymore.

Hey, we are just human but our bodies do react in a fairly predictable way. If you eat sugars, you will want sugars. I gave up all sugars and no longer crave them and boy I loved those M&Ms and Costco chocolate chip cookies!
    I agree that's probably what I will have to do. One last shot at moderation.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill

I’m with you, no sweets, no fruit, not even artificial sweeteners.

Sugar is a drug, kick it for a week or two, and the cravings go away. Now if I could just kick nicotine.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    pnoIwr4.jpg

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Well, apparently Ambien is not the best choice of sleep aid for me. I don't usually take it, but I haven't slept well for weeks, so I took one last night. I clearly remember waking up in the middle of the night, thinking I should eat something low-carb, and eating a couple of brown and serve sausages with some cottage cheese. Go me.
    What I do not remember is getting out the brown sugar canister and dumping cheerios into it (and in the sink and on the floor). The cheerios were so thoroughly mixed into the brown sugar that I had to throw the whole mess out. We had chili last night, and apparently I took a dirty chili bowl out of the sink and had some cheerios in it. When I went to warm up my coffee this morning, I also found six dried-up pizza rolls in the microwave.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yesterday was weight day, 206.8. I am officially in a weight loss stall. That is a month of no change. Hovering around 205. I am looking for better weather and looking forward to getting a bicycle out. Old so I now ride this.

View attachment 333271
    Well, apparently Ambien is not the best choice of sleep aid for me. I don't usually take it, but I haven't slept well for weeks, so I took one last night. I clearly remember waking up in the middle of the night, thinking I should eat something low-carb, and eating a couple of brown and serve sausages with some cottage cheese. Go me.
    What I do not remember is getting out the brown sugar canister and dumping cheerios into it (and in the sink and on the floor). The cheerios were so thoroughly mixed into the brown sugar that I had to throw the whole mess out. We had chili last night, and apparently I took a dirty chili bowl out of the sink and had some cheerios in it. When I went to warm up my coffee this morning, I also found six dried-up pizza rolls in the microwave.
    Bwahahahaha! Priceless!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have some beef and lamb steaks. Last night I pulled one out and thawed it out to cook. I have done this before, sous vide the steak then sear it in a very hot cast iron pan.

Salt and pepper the steak and vacuum bag it. Sous vide for 2 hours at 131 degrees (this was the first time at 2 hours, used 1 hour before, think I prefer 2). Warm cast iron for 5-10 min on medium heat. Turn up to high, some butter or preferred oil, sear on each side twice 30 seconds each.

This makes a perfect rare-medium rare steak internally (sous vide) and a perfect seared crust.

I have an Inkbird sous vide which is cost effective and works fine, connects to your phone. I bought a clear plastic 12 qt square container from a local restaurant store. If you don’t have a cast iron pan, well shame on you. You don’t have to have a vacuum bagger (but that’s what sous vide is) but you can bag it in a plastic bag and remove as much air as you can.

Top Bottom