• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm still struggling to get back to my 207 again. I was 208, then 215 a few days later, now down to 209. These fluctuations kill me. One thing I did realize is that I am not at my lowest first thing in the morning. I drink about a half gallon of water in the afternoon and evening, and then I take my water pill in the morning. I don't start letting some of that water go until noon or after. I have lost 4 lbs of water between morning and afternoon. So I should probably weigh consistently just before lunch.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm still struggling to get back to my 207 again. I was 208, then 215 a few days later, now down to 209. These fluctuations kill me. One thing I did realize is that I am not at my lowest first thing in the morning. I drink about a half gallon of water in the afternoon and evening, and then I take my water pill in the morning. I don't start letting some of that water go until noon or after. I have lost 4 lbs of water between morning and afternoon. So I should probably weigh consistently just before lunch.
    I weight once a week first thing in the morning. That way it doesn’t drive me nuts but will show a trend. For instance my weight stall.
    IMG_0703.jpeg

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Weight day. At 202.6, lost 2.6 pounds but due to a flu bug Sunday. Boy oh boy did that empty me out. I don’t suggest it for weight loss!
    Congratulations? I am a victim of the flu bug also. The big action is over with, but the nausea remains. For the past two days, all I have eaten is a bit of oatmeal and mashed potatoes with butter. I roasted a chicken Monday and have not been able to eat any of it. I'm just going to freeze it today.

The good news is that I have had a glimpse of 206, which is a pound lower than my lowest in 20 years..

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Congratulations? I am a victim of the flu bug also. The big action is over with, but the nausea remains. For the past two days, all I have eaten is a bit of oatmeal and mashed potatoes with butter. I roasted a chicken Monday and have not been able to eat any of it. I'm just going to freeze it today.

The good news is that I have had a glimpse of 206, which is a pound lower than my lowest in 20 years..
    I was afraid to eat for a couple of days but drank some beef broth with added electrolytes. Since I was dehydrated leg cramps were bad.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Weight day. Yeah, I forgot to do it yesterday! I step on the scale twice to verify. The scale is playing with me. So 204.4 the first time, 203.4 the second. What is one to do? 203.4 the third time so I am going with that. That’s 1.1 pound down from last week.

R3p1lc3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2024
    English
    Weight loss cheat code = no carbs... it sounds brutal but honestly I did not find that difficult since I could really live off ground beef 3 times a day and be happy. The fact that I could do that and eggs and cheese or chicken, fish, with all the butter and salt I want. I changed NOTHING else for the course of a year and went from 250ish to 165 and never felt hungry between meals or thought about the next meal coming except for did i have anything thawed. I could go from my eggs in the morning(5-6am) till 2-4pm and have to remind myself to eat after a while because I just wouldn't be hungry. My energy levels had never been just that.. level like a tractor on 1200rpm all day long and not feel drained or sluggish like my life before the change it would be eat at 6am and be hangry by 9am. To this day(2 1/2 years later) I have maintained my weight loss holding in the 170ish and have been regularly training (not hardcore) for about the last year and never been in better shape. I have started taking carbs in again (NO sugar drinks) mostly whole food carbs and watch the pasta's and crap snacks and been able to stay this weight constantly now and still get to have a rounded diet. If for some reason now it ever changes I will go straight back to a strict carnivore for a good cut. Although I have been working to fill back in some of this skin ;)

I'm telling you guys if you can commit it makes the weight part easy sauce.

sailinon

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    I don't get on very often, but when I do I come to this thread! I appreciate the positivity and knowledge.

Last March Mom died, after spending 4 months in a hospital with cancer. 4 days later our 11 year old beagle mix who I was depending on to help me "hike away the sorrow" was diagnosed with bone cancer and we had a vet put her down in our den the next day while eating raw steak from my hand, such a good dog and rascal she was.

Anyway, gained 21 lbs. Lost all that since 12/28/23 and - this time - this was what I did and I hope it helps someone:
    1. Stop Listening to the person who says "Yes but you do this all the time, your weight goes up, then down, then up, then down". The person saying that has gained at least 80 lbs since I met them. I finally recognized they're miserable and want company in their misery.

They're also in a way right. A good friend that has studied these things told me it's statistically impossible to stay the exact same weight constantly, it will run like a sine wave even while going up or down.

Instead of listening to them, don't share anything about your routine or diet with them, "Don't let the left hand know what the right hand is doing" has become my mantra. The results speak for themselves, I don't need to.

2. Portion control. I started this by just reading the labels and seeing what an actual portion is.

3. Cold showers. I watched a Ted talk about a computer guy who started up businesses. He said (paraphrase) "I take cold showers to train my mind, if I can stand a cold shower I can stand the difficulty starting a new business is going to be" Worked up from 3 minutes to my current and final 15 minutes. We live in a place built in 1969 which has one of those old school Full hot valves and Full cold valves. Start the timer, stand in the shower, turn the director (?) to the shower head and spin the knob on the cold side.

4. while in the shower listen to this guy talk about stoicism (the daily stoic on YouTube). Wish I'd begun studying the stoics 30 years ago.:

5. It used to be when you said "that guy or gal is Hungry" it was a good thing, meant they were motivated, hard charging, wanting to do better in life. Today? Dairy Queen advertises on the radio "Happy Tastes Good". Wait, What?!?!?! When did Happiness taste like Anything?!?! The mind trick here is to shut off the TV/Radio and choose what to fill your thoughts with.

I don't know, hope this helps someone reading it. I've struggled my entire adult life (will be 55 this year) with weight, my goal is to be 180-190 again, like I was in my mid-twenties. One meal, one day, one moment at a time now and I'm thinking I'll get there, by June for sure.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Weight loss cheat code = no carbs... it sounds brutal but honestly I did not find that difficult since I could really live off ground beef 3 times a day and be happy. The fact that I could do that and eggs and cheese or chicken, fish, with all the butter and salt I want. I changed NOTHING else for the course of a year and went from 250ish to 165 and never felt hungry between meals or thought about the next meal coming except for did i have anything thawed. I could go from my eggs in the morning(5-6am) till 2-4pm and have to remind myself to eat after a while because I just wouldn't be hungry. My energy levels had never been just that.. level like a tractor on 1200rpm all day long and not feel drained or sluggish like my life before the change it would be eat at 6am and be hangry by 9am. To this day(2 1/2 years later) I have maintained my weight loss holding in the 170ish and have been regularly training (not hardcore) for about the last year and never been in better shape. I have started taking carbs in again (NO sugar drinks) mostly whole food carbs and watch the pasta's and crap snacks and been able to stay this weight constantly now and still get to have a rounded diet. If for some reason now it ever changes I will go straight back to a strict carnivore for a good cut. Although I have been working to fill back in some of this skin ;)

I'm telling you guys if you can commit it makes the weight part easy sauce.
    You got it! That is exactly what I am doing. Kinda boring at first but eventually habitual and then because one is not that hungry as quickly it is easy to do to the point of skipping eating for a day because of no hunger pains.

The one thing I have had to do is get more electrolytes due to cramping legs in bed in the morning so every night or every other night I mix an unflavored Re-Lyte in a cup of beef broth. A nice evening drink and no more cramps.

R3p1lc3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2024
    English
    You got it! That is exactly what I am doing. Kinda boring at first but eventually habitual and then because one is not that hungry as quickly it is easy to do to the point of skipping eating for a day because of no hunger pains.

The one thing I have had to do is get more electrolytes due to cramping legs in bed in the morning so every night or every other night I mix an unflavored Re-Lyte in a cup of beef broth. A nice evening drink and no more cramps.
    Yup. I recommend a DAILY multivitamin. I rarely had cramps and headaches are virtually a thing of the past.

R3p1lc3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2024
    English
    I don't get on very often, but when I do I come to this thread! I appreciate the positivity and knowledge.

Last March Mom died, after spending 4 months in a hospital with cancer. 4 days later our 11 year old beagle mix who I was depending on to help me "hike away the sorrow" was diagnosed with bone cancer and we had a vet put her down in our den the next day while eating raw steak from my hand, such a good dog and rascal she was.

Anyway, gained 21 lbs. Lost all that since 12/28/23 and - this time - this was what I did and I hope it helps someone:
    1. Stop Listening to the person who says "Yes but you do this all the time, your weight goes up, then down, then up, then down". The person saying that has gained at least 80 lbs since I met them. I finally recognized they're miserable and want company in their misery.

They're also in a way right. A good friend that has studied these things told me it's statistically impossible to stay the exact same weight constantly, it will run like a sine wave even while going up or down.

Instead of listening to them, don't share anything about your routine or diet with them, "Don't let the left hand know what the right hand is doing" has become my mantra. The results speak for themselves, I don't need to.

2. Portion control. I started this by just reading the labels and seeing what an actual portion is.

3. Cold showers. I watched a Ted talk about a computer guy who started up businesses. He said (paraphrase) "I take cold showers to train my mind, if I can stand a cold shower I can stand the difficulty starting a new business is going to be" Worked up from 3 minutes to my current and final 15 minutes. We live in a place built in 1969 which has one of those old school Full hot valves and Full cold valves. Start the timer, stand in the shower, turn the director (?) to the shower head and spin the knob on the cold side.

4. while in the shower listen to this guy talk about stoicism (the daily stoic on YouTube). Wish I'd begun studying the stoics 30 years ago.:

5. It used to be when you said "that guy or gal is Hungry" it was a good thing, meant they were motivated, hard charging, wanting to do better in life. Today? Dairy Queen advertises on the radio "Happy Tastes Good". Wait, What?!?!?! When did Happiness taste like Anything?!?! The mind trick here is to shut off the TV/Radio and choose what to fill your thoughts with.

I don't know, hope this helps someone reading it. I've struggled my entire adult life (will be 55 this year) with weight, my goal is to be 180-190 again, like I was in my mid-twenties. One meal, one day, one moment at a time now and I'm thinking I'll get there, by June f

202. I don't really have any secrets to share. I'm just eating less.
    Congrats, all progress is good!

Top Bottom