• ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Thanks.

But as to the race, I watched it and saw Maximum Security slide out at least 2 lanes. I thought for sure he would lose then because it opened up the rail. I was right that it caused his to lose, but I didn't predict why.

I see both sides and, therefore, don't have basis to criticize the steward's decision.

On a visceral level, taking a win away when it does not appear the foul caused another horse to lose and him to win, doesn't seem right. However, that's not the standard they use for disqualification.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think it's a mistaken motive. Not to be cool. Not to be sophisticated. If people can talk about how interested they are. Why can't others talk about how disinterested?

I'm a transplant to this area. I get that it's a big deal to a lot of people. When I moved here it's hard not to notice. The festival and activities are really pretty awesome. I've lived in some areas that have local festivals on a fairly large scale, but I don't think I've seen anything that compares to what Louisville puts on every year at Derby time. So I think the Derby festival is pretty cool. Oaks? Derby? Meh. Whatever. I tried to manufacture some interest early on. Just didn't stick. I guess one must be sophisticated to care more.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I like any sporting event that showcases the best of anything, is out of the ordinary, and has some tradition behind it.

Certainly we don't all have to enjoy the same things, but a few more common cultural touchstones couldn't hurt.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I will say I have a much greater appreciation of horses since marrying my wife. Being around them everyday changes your perspective.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    These are the fastest race horses in the world, "the big one" would be unprecedented, the carnage unimaginable. And yet the social media world is upset that rules are enforced to protect the horses and jockeys...

The thing that I kept hearing this morning on the news, which is probably partly to blame for the "upset" is that it is the race stewards' job to make the call of interference and they didn't. It wasn't until two of the jockeys complained that they decided to look into it. As for myself, I wonder if or how much the condition of the track might have contributed to Maximum Security's "drifting" into another lane. It was a sloppy mess for sure.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The thing that I kept hearing this morning on the news, which is probably partly to blame for the "upset" is that it is the race stewards' job to make the call of interference and they didn't. It wasn't until two of the jockeys complained that they decided to look into it. As for myself, I wonder if or how much the condition of the track might have contributed to Maximum Security's "drifting" into another lane. It was a sloppy mess for sure.
    The conjecture I heard was that the horse prematurely changed its lead from left to right, which caused it to drift right. This is something the jockey should be controlling.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

The process that was followed is not different from any other sanctioned horse race. It is not uncommon for stewards to only address a "foul" if there is an objection. If no one objects, they generally are not going to step in.

This is someone with a basketball understanding of calling a foul applying it to horse racing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The process that was followed is not different from any other sanctioned horse race. It is not uncommon for stewards to only address a "foul" if there is an objection. If no one objects, they generally are not going to step in.

This is someone with a basketball understanding of calling a foul applying it to horse racing.

Yeah, I know nothing about the rules of horse racing, but I just heard that (as I understand it), the stewards are supposed to be watching for violations, much like a referee. I also found in interesting that this was the first time this rule has been enforced there in the entire history of the Derby, which is like what... 140 years or so?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yeah, I know nothing about the rules of horse racing, but I just heard that (as I understand it), the stewards are supposed to be watching for violations, much like a referee. I also found in interesting that this was the first time this rule has been enforced there in the entire history of the Derby, which is like what... 140 years or so?

To be clear, I wasn't referring to you- that was directed at whatever news you were listening to.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    At first I thought it was pretty ridiculous but after seeing it all slowed down with multiple angles I think it’s a fair dq. They did a whole segment about how horse racing was coming under fire because of the influx of horses needing to be put down before the race earlier in the day. I don’t think that the horse effected the guy who came in 2nd but he did impede other horses. Those horses could of came 2nd 3rd. He impeded horses that I’m sure people had bets on. I think the top 5 horses get a take of the purse and that definitely altered the end results. It sucks obviously but I think it was fair. All those horses are 3 years old so I didn’t understand him saying the horse was a baby.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The replay clearly showed Maximum Security bear out several lanes and impede at least two horses. They were very lucky none of them went down. In NASCAR terms, it would have been THE BIG ONE! Speaking of bets, today's Indy Star carried a blurb that everyone who bet on Maximum Security will get their bets refunded..........$9 million dollars worth! If that's not a big enough monkey wrench in the works, the owner of the horse says he's going to appeal the DQ. Surely Churchill Downs has paid those who bet on the 65-1 Country House. If an appeal/suit/whatever overturns the DQ, do those folks keep their winnings? Did the bettors who had tickets on Max Sec hang onto theirs? There was a paltry $521K bet on Country House.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The replay clearly showed Maximum Security bear out several lanes and impede at least two horses. They were very lucky none of them went down. In NASCAR terms, it would have been THE BIG ONE! Speaking of bets, today's Indy Star carried a blurb that everyone who bet on Maximum Security will get their bets refunded..........$9 million dollars worth! If that's not a big enough monkey wrench in the works, the owner of the horse says he's going to appeal the DQ. Surely Churchill Downs has paid those who bet on the 65-1 Country House. If an appeal/suit/whatever overturns the DQ, do those folks keep their winnings? Did the bettors who had tickets on Max Sec hang onto theirs? There was a paltry $521K bet on Country House.

That paltry $521K at 65:1 odds though, is almost $34 million... :faint:

Top Bottom