• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Before, I couldn't believe I spent the money for a Spyderco Endura. I had never even held a knife that expensive. Later, I spent around $150 for a ZT0350. Later, I spent more money for a Spyderco PM2 and a Manix2.

Once you feel a well made knife, you understand. At the 1500, I held a $260 ZT0561, and I REALLY liked it. I've been kicking myself for not buying it. But I need to be smart and use the cash for a hospital bill.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    There is no point in trying to explain to the gun people why there are a lot of knives out there that cost as much or more than their firearms. It is not their passion (knives), and they will never understand that a person will spend a unlimited amount of money on their passion. I have this conversation several times at almost every show with a gun people, and they end up walking away shaking their head with their Wilson Combat on their side. :):

It's not so much a question as why spend that much as it is "What does that much get me that something half that price doesn't?" for me. SO...when I see an $1,800 knife I just want to know what makes it that special. I do appreciate when others question the price or the true value because then I don't have to ask!

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    It's not so much a question as why spend that much as it is "What does that much get me that something half that price doesn't?" for me. SO...when I see an $1,800 knife I just want to know what makes it that special. I do appreciate when others question the price or the true value because then I don't have to ask!

Knives are really no different than anything else you buy in life. You have different levels of quality and the price usually reflects the level of quality you get in the design, materials, and craftsmanship (fit & finish). Throw in the fact this particular knife is hard to get (less than 50 made), and that drives the price up. Because of the difficulty in obtaining (rarity) this knife, you are paying for that in this case. No different than most collectibles.....rarity/scarceness demands a premium.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Knives are really no different than anything else you buy in life. You have different levels of quality and the price usually reflects the level of quality you get in the design, materials, and craftsmanship (fit & finish). Throw in the fact this particular knife is hard to get (less than 50 made), and that drives the price up. Because of the difficulty in obtaining (rarity) this knife, you are paying for that in this case. No different than most collectibles.....rarity/scarceness demands a premium.

Yeah, but it's just a knife, they're small, no knife should be over $20. I buy and scream "support 'Merica!!" but dem Chineses make a knife that's $20 and cuts fine.

Liner lock, frame lock, slip joint, lock back, axis lock, flipper, thumb stud, tip up, tip down.....all fancy words that don't make da knife cut more good

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Do you guys know a website that members can view to compare materials and how that affects the price of a knife? Also, it would be nice if it also provides information on finish. I think the rarity part is easily understood by most. I recall someone posting a site a long time ago, but I can't find it. That really helped me at the time I was investigating knives.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Do you guys know a website that members can view to compare materials and how that affects the price of a knife? Also, it would be nice if it also provides information on finish. I think the rarity part is easily understood by most. I recall someone posting a site a long time ago, but I can't find it. That really helped me at the time I was investigating knives.

Not really sure of a website but when talking custom knives like this yes there are allot of costs in materials. Mick is on record as saying the pivot is even expensive because it is a custom made titanium bolt made specially for the individual knife and the Chromium Nitride coating that is running around RC85 (to put that into perspective the blade steel is only RC60)so the knife itself is almost impervious to scratches and such. Then you have all of the time spent shaping all of the titanium and grinding the blade and mating the tang of the blade to the lock face of the titanium.

Basically is is a combination of expensive high end materials and the time of a true craftsman. Then you could get into the ultra high end customs with mirror polished hand rubbed blades with gold inlays and such that are works of art, I personally prefer more "practical" customs myself but to each his own.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville

I guess I was unclear in what I meant...

THIS is more like what I was trying to say. IDK much about knives so differences in metals and such is more what I was talking about. Rarity is a price driver regardless of item, and I understand that. When I see $1800 for a knife I think, "That bish better be made of Adamantium!" or something along those lines but it's mostly out of ignorance because I just don't know. I know that Dead Duck was being sarcastic but instead of saying "Gun folk just don't get it" actually explaining why would help to buck that trend.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

I guess I was unclear in what I meant...

THIS is more like what I was trying to say. IDK much about knives so differences in metals and such is more what I was talking about. Rarity is a price driver regardless of item, and I understand that. When I see $1800 for a knife I think, "That bish better be made of Adamantium!" or something along those lines but it's mostly out of ignorance because I just don't know. I know that Dead Duck was being sarcastic but instead of saying "Gun folk just don't get it" actually explaining why would help to buck that trend.

I'm not sure about a website that shows different materials and how it affects the price of a knife. There may be one, but I'm not aware of it. Material prices only play a small percentage in the final price of a knife unless you get into the art knives that use gold, gem stones, and other expensive materials that you don't see on most knives. There are so many varibles in what determines the final price of a knife or any item for that matter. I and a few others in this thread have tried to address a few of ones that you can physically see. Some of the value or price can not be physically seen in the item. When you buy from a maker, you're buying more than just an object. You are buying hundreds of hours of failures and experimentation. You are buying days, weeks, and months of frustration and moments of pure joy. You aren't just buying a thing, you're buying a piece of heart, part of a soul, a moment of someone's life, but most importantly, you're buying the maker more time to pursue something that they are passionate about.

I don't think knives are any different than anything else that people have a passion for. People will spend crazy money on whatever their particular passion may be, whether it is knives, firearms, cars, coins....etc. In no way was I trying to put down the "Gun folk". It just happens that I end up in this exact conversation at just about every gun & knife show, where the majority of the people attending are gun people.

Last edited:

Dim Mak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    Naptown
    I won't even admit to most my most expensive knife... It was made in Germany in 1932 and it is very rare and one of a kind.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem

You'll find a ton of information - and a lot of opinion at jayfisher.com . A lot of people won't pay what he charges - but he does some amazing work. He has some pretty strong opinions on knife values. I doubt I will ever be able to afford one of his knives - but if they are as good looking in real life as the are in the pictures, I would be proud to own one.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not exactly what you were looking for, but , The Usual Suspect Network has TONS of info on knives, from dime store Barlows to $3000 Mayo's and beyond!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Knives are like many other things, often you get what you pay for. However at the same time you do pay for the name on the knife especially if the maker is "hot" at the time. If all of a sudden the maker becomes "the knife maker you have to own one of" then yes, the price will go up dramatically even tho the quality of the product has not changed. Just the nature of retail. Can you buy as good a quality knife at a lower price? Of course you can...just won't have the popular maker's name on it.

Top Bottom