• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    There is no point in trying to explain to the gun people why there are a lot of knives out there that cost as much or more than their firearms. It is not their passion (knives), and they will never understand that a person will spend a unlimited amount of money on their passion. I have this conversation several times at almost every show with a gun people, and they end up walking away shaking their head with their Wilson Combat on their side. :):

I have a spyderco and a benchmade a mid 80s shrade (usa made) an izula a mora and a handfull of other knives (20+). I bought the spyderco after i beat on my benchmade until I was tired of trying to break it. I love knives I mean I love them but the day I spend 1800 on a knife that isnt like the one off hot shots : part duex is the day I quit huffing glue. I made a knife id put up against the best custom out there and it cost me 12$ For a rusty 5 pack of nicholson files. I have more expensive guns and i have Axes older than hell they all have a reason and I understand the cost, but for me thats outside the realm of necessity hell I can buy my own forge for 1800$.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I have a spyderco and a benchmade a mid 80s shrade (usa made) an izula a mora and a handfull of other knives (20+). I bought the spyderco after i beat on my benchmade until I was tired of trying to break it. I love knives I mean I love them but the day I spend 1800 on a knife that isnt like the one off hot shots : part duex is the day I quit huffing glue. I made a knife id put up against the best custom out there and it cost me 12$ For a rusty 5 pack of nicholson files. I have more expensive guns and i have Axes older than hell they all have a reason and I understand the cost, but for me thats outside the realm of necessity hell I can buy my own forge for 1800$.

I understand your mindset, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, but this is the exact mindset that I'm talking about. You say you love knives, but only to the point of placing a value on functionality and use. What you are missing is, there are a lot of people that are passionate about knives that will spend or place a value on a knife that is way above the functionality and use value. In the knife world (serious knife buyers), $1800 is on the low end. Everyday I see on other forums, knives that are being bought and sold for $2000, $3000, and even more. Years ago when I attended the Blade show, it was not uncommon to see certain knives sell for $5000 or more. I witness a person pay out $10,000 for a knife, and back then, I was stunned and didn't understand how a knife could be worth that much. Over time, and as my personal passion for knives grew, I came to understand that people will spend crazy money on whatever their passion is.

Here is a analogy that might help the gun people understand. If you were to talk to person that was not into firearms, and told them that you just bought a class III weapon for $20K to $30K, they would think you were crazy, and not understand why a firearm like that would cost so much, because in reality it is not practical for for anything other than the enjoyment of owning one, and the enjoyment of being able to go out and shoot it from time to time. I would think that most people that are into firearms would understand why a person would want a firearm that cost that much, and I'm betting that if they could afford it, or had the disposable income, they would own one to.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    I understand your mindset, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, but this is the exact mindset that I'm talking about. You say you love knives, but only to the point of placing a value on functionality and use. What you are missing is, there are a lot of people that are passionate about knives that will spend or place a value on a knife that is way above the functionality and use value. In the knife world (serious knife buyers), $1800 is on the low end. Everyday I see on other forums, knives that are being bought and sold for $2000, $3000, and even more. Years ago when I attended the Blade show, it was not uncommon to see certain knives sell for $5000 or more. I witness a person pay out $10,000 for a knife, and back then, I was stunned and didn't understand how a knife could be worth that much. Over time, and as my personal passion for knives grew, I came to understand that people will spend crazy money on whatever their passion is.

Here is a analogy that might help the gun people understand. If you were to talk to person that was not into firearms, and told them that you just bought a class III weapon for $20K to $30K, they would think you were crazy, and not understand why a firearm like that would cost so much, because in reality it is not practical for for anything other than the enjoyment of owning one, and the enjoyment of being able to go out and shoot it from time to time. I would think that most people that are into firearms would understand why a person would want a firearm that cost that much, and I'm betting that if they could afford it, or had the disposable income, they would own one to.

Oh i fully agree the useability of a knife is paramount to me, and building my own knives gives me a deeper appreciation for what it takes. Im right there with you on the gun/knife arguement is an 1800 $ knife worth it to me? No but if you had it I would look it over and study it and say nice knife. I might even offer you a deer tenderloin and a coon skin medicine satchel for it.

If I could sell my knifes for 1800$ you bet your butt I would its that fellows passion and business I say good for him. To the guy that bought the knife good for him too its probably everything he wanted.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Lol at the gathering in Vegas I saw a rexford open bid knife go for 16,000 plus dollars. It was a hell of a folder. absolutely beautiful. I could never drop that on a blade not even if I was a millionaire lol. However I definitely appreciated the blade. it was stunning. If I had the money though and my retirement ect, kids college was good I wouldn't hesitate to spend a couple 4-6k on a blade!

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Lol at the gathering in Vegas I saw a rexford open bid knife go for 16,000 plus dollars. It was a hell of a folder. absolutely beautiful. I could never drop that on a blade not even if I was a millionaire lol. However I definitely appreciated the blade. it was stunning. If I had the money though and my retirement ect, kids college was good I wouldn't hesitate to spend a couple 4-6k on a blade!

You went to the Gathering? I suck cuase I haven't gone and I'm a Usual Suspect. Sucks being poor sometimes!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you can afford them and are willing to accept the risks, some of the higher end knives would make excellent investment opportunities.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Dave is still a mod over at least one area on USN...... That I can see.

Good ol Dave. I miss that guy.

he was so pretty.

and tan.....

and pretty.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Oh i fully agree the useability of a knife is paramount to me, and building my own knives gives me a deeper appreciation for what it takes. Im right there with you on the gun/knife arguement is an 1800 $ knife worth it to me? No but if you had it I would look it over and study it and say nice knife. I might even offer you a deer tenderloin and a coon skin medicine satchel for it.

If I could sell my knifes for 1800$ you bet your butt I would its that fellows passion and business I say good for him. To the guy that bought the knife good for him too its probably everything he wanted.

Read this after posting my previous reply. This post is more clear in regards to the $1800 part. :)

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Buying an $1800 forge and making an $1800 knife are two completely unrelated items.

My thoughts exactly.........
    And as stated knives of that level are investments / toys I will never ever lose on that knife. And I would love to see the file knife go up against a good custom knife.

Top Bottom