• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    In the tradition of the Littoral Combat Ship, the Navy presents its new, technology-rich, capability-poor, obscenely expensive answer to a question nobody asked.

America?s Newest Destroyer Is Already Outdated | The Diplomat

images_zps4ekreus9.jpg

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    At least we're only getting 3 of them. I think it is too soon to say they won't be useful.

I think it is just the right time to say they will be more useful than the F-35. We'll have 162+ of those.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    At least we're only getting 3 of them. I think it is too soon to say they won't be useful.

I think it is just the right time to say they will be more useful than the F-35. We'll have 162+ of those.

Well, useful and a prudent use of that much money are two entirely different things. There are very limited situations where they can be used. Those scenarios don't come up very often.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, useful and a prudent use of that much money are two entirely different things. There are very limited situations where they can be used. Those scenarios don't come up very often.

This argument is going to be quite lame unless we can figure out something to argue about.

I think its cool how its prow goes the wrong way. Its like, totally antiestablishment.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    This argument is going to be quite lame unless we can figure out something to argue about.

I think its cool how its prow goes the wrong way. Its like, totally antiestablishment.

Yes, there are major questions about it's sea keeping abilities in heavy weather.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    At only 3 it's more like a technology demonstration than anything else. The first one just left for sea trials yesterday. We'll soon see if the models and designers and simulations are correct and the technology works. We'll see. If so, you're likely to see more of them in the future. If not, not so much. I like the approach of buying a few and trying them rather than buying a S*** ton of them and wishing they worked. The first copy skipper (James Kirk - not kidding) is very high on the new technology and it's stealth. That's the reason for the odd shapes and the different bow - stealth.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    At only 3 it's more like a technology demonstration than anything else. The first one just left for sea trials yesterday. We'll soon see if the models and designers and simulations are correct and the technology works. We'll see. If so, you're likely to see more of them in the future. If not, not so much. I like the approach of buying a few and trying them rather than buying a S*** ton of them and wishing they worked. The first copy skipper (James Kirk - not kidding) is very high on the new technology and it's stealth. That's the reason for the odd shapes and the different bow - stealth.

Well, if he wasn't ultra-enthusiastic he wouldn't be the skipper for very long.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Can we recycle the USS Enterprise name to his ship? Please? The wooden ship won't mind, and the aircraft carrier is being gutted so it's done with the name. Please? Please?

Top Bottom