• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The name could just follow him wherever he's stationed?

Excellent idea. Just like "Air Force One", whatever floaty thing he's on, from a rowboat to a super carrier, is instantly the USS Enterprise.

captain-james-t-kirk-james-kirk-star-trek-parody-abrams-movi-demotivational-poster-1224689973.jpg

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    On aircraft carriers, I know the guys with red shirts do ordinance.

On this destroyer... I hope they maxed out their insurance.

It isn't really that bad. It just can't defend itself against aircraft, submarines or missiles. Other than that, no problem.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Navy classified them as "Destroyers" since they were prohibited by budgetary rules from building any more Cruisers. These will be the largest Destroyers afloat.

GNRHOSH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    Franklin
    If they would build the entire 32 total in the original order, then the price tag would have been less, but with only 3 now... All R&D got lumped into just those three ships price tags.

So with the three like someone has said already they are going to use them as Tech Demonstration and test platforms.

Oh yes, the Captain James Kirk is a hoot.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    If they would build the entire 32 total in the original order, then the price tag would have been less, but with only 3 now... All R&D got lumped into just those three ships price tags.

So with the three like someone has said already they are going to use them as Tech Demonstration and test platforms.

Oh yes, the Captain James Kirk is a hoot.

Very true. Far as I know they've only built just this one and it went to sea Monday for it's sea trials. I know $4.4B sounds like a lot, but it's not really when you consider this isn't a production copy, it's the first run with all the lessons learned and R&D. First one is always more.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    They already have a stealth ship.
    It's called a "submarine"

True, but there is no current way to support land forces with guns aboard submarines and littoral insertion/extraction of ground forces is extremely limited with submarines. For now there are things ships do submarines can not. The way of the future may be to build a hybrid, but it's not possible yet.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    True, but there is no current way to support land forces with guns aboard submarines and littoral insertion/extraction of ground forces is extremely limited with submarines. For now there are things ships do submarines can not. The way of the future may be to build a hybrid, but it's not possible yet.

This ship is not capable of that mission either.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    This ship is not capable of that mission either.

Not true. This ship has the firepower to support littoral insertion and land fighting. It has better insertion capability than submarines, proof of concept of these technologies should lead to more capable designs currently not possible with submarines. All of that of course depends on the results of the sea trials and continuing success or failure of missions. Without research and development and technology proof of concept designs the navy will not move forward and keep pace with current or surfacing threats. It's not perfect, but definitely better than waiting for the enemy to win and lag other countries in our effort to be the best.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You know, with a night to sleep on this, I wonder if this ship might actually have a use in a Spratley Islands type situation. I know it cuts against the littoral aspect, being in the wide open sea, but one thing that sounded strange was a stealthy littoral ship. I mean, if you're that close to shore, radar isn't necessarily what you're worried about.

But, the South China Sea might need a multi-role ship.

Of course, there's no way the military planners had anything like Spratley in mind when they started that boondoggle.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Not true. This ship has the firepower to support littoral insertion and land fighting. It has better insertion capability than submarines, proof of concept of these technologies should lead to more capable designs currently not possible with submarines. All of that of course depends on the results of the sea trials and continuing success or failure of missions. Without research and development and technology proof of concept designs the navy will not move forward and keep pace with current or surfacing threats. It's not perfect, but definitely better than waiting for the enemy to win and lag other countries in our effort to be the best.

It can, theoretically, provide NGFS or Naval Gunfire Support. It cannot insert troops. It has no troop carrying capacity, well deck or boat capacity. Yes, it could insert a SEAL team by helo. That's about it.

Top Bottom