• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    INGOers, I do not own a motorcycle but wouldn't mind one. I think they are cool.

Question...

What is the point of "reving" your bike at a stop..... I notice this phenomenon is especially prominent with the Harley crowd followed by the crotch rocket crowd

Is this to impress those around the bike? Make the rider feel good about the noise? Is there any mechanical need to do this or was there a need in the past on older bikes?

I find myself rolling my windows up in these months as I'm not impressed with the sounds. What is the point?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I find myself rolling my windows up in these months as I'm not impressed with the sounds. What is the point?

You should tell them to get off your lawn and to get a haircut and to turn down that "rocks and rolls" music of theirs. :):

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I ride a Buell, and I have to do it occasionally because it doesn't idle very well at all and has died on me before during a long light. I'm not obnoxious about it, just give it a slight flick to keep it running.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I can see the point there when the bike is not idling properly. Makes sense.

I ride a Buell, and I have to do it occasionally because it doesn't idle very well at all and has died on me before during a long light. I'm not obnoxious about it, just give it a slight flick to keep it running.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's mostly just for the coolness factor..kinda like a gearhead with a muscle car giving a little tap on the gas pedal to let you know they got something under the hood.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    an idiot neighbors boyfriend or something regularly sits on the sidewalk leading to the front door of her house and revs his. man it ticks me off and makes me wanna do stuff i cant talk about here.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    For most of the newer bikes there isn't a reason to do it, but people learn habits that are hard to break.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    SOME may do it right before letting the clutch out..just to get the RPMs up...MOST are just SQUIDS who feel the need to attract attention to themselves!!

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I don't have a bike but I would do it if I were at a corner where I thought I would not be seen very well or at a busy intersection... to let people know I was around a blind spot of theirs while slowly edging out. People look when they hear loud noises... if they aren't texting while driving/eating/reading the paper/changing songs on their iPod/etc.

Kids and their whizbang do-dads.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    For most of the newer bikes there isn't a reason to do it, but people learn habits that are hard to break.
    Agreed. Sometimes I think it's just a reflex action and they don't even realize they're doing it because that's the way everybody is supposed to do it when they are stopped at a light. Most people that do it don't even know the reason why.

Last edited:

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    I do it on every now a then because I like how my bike sounds ! Not to impress anyone :yesway: but some bikes it aids in getting it in and out of neutral. Plus on carbed bikes it can help keep them from loading up when idling for a long period of time if you jetting is off. Mainly I do it so people will make posts on the internet crying about motorcycles revving there engines up ;) LOL

<---------

Last edited:

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I've got an S&S Motor....."Spit and Sputter"

So, yes, depending on how far I am into a ride, I will need to give it a few vrooom, vroooms, to stay alive.

I'd rather rev it and try to look cool, then look like a douche and stall out at an intersection... ;)

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    I ride a Honda Shadow ...I've never (ever) HAD to rev at a light. I'll admit that there are times when I have ...mostly so I don't feel left out. :D There are times, when the bike is cold, that it needs to idle at a higher rpm, but that's not fixed by blipping the throttle. I think it's actually kind of funny, myself. It's even funnier when people think I'm riding a Harley ("Hey! Nice Harley!") ...even had a gas station attended give me a complement on my Indian when I was paying for gas ...now THAT was funny! :laugh: ...shoulda sold it to her... ;)

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I should also add, that my carburetor was effed up. It is now fixed, so that should limit my looking cool at intersections by revving it.

Dang. I should have just let it be.

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    I think a lot of people do it to try to trip the stop light sensor. A bike to too small to set most triggers lights off.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    My HD is fuel injected and there is no mechanical reason to rev a bike like that a stop.

The only time I did it was when a "lady" driving an SUV while chatting on a cell phone nearly wrecked me. I got up next to her window and revved as loud and long as I could to disrupt the call and make her notice. To be fair, she did acknowledge almost wrecking me, but I was still in a revving mood.

People using cell phones for talking or texting have snuck into my top 3 list of hated groups.

1. Anyone that works for insurance companies
    2. Those employed by the cable TV industry in ANY capacity.
    3. Cell phone talkers/texters in moving vehicles.

Since the warm weather appears to be here for good this time, I fully expect #3 to claim the #1 spot by mid July or so. It will then drop back a bit after the first snow fall.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom