• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Even though it's definitely squidly, I catch myself doing it from time to time. Mostly because I enjoy the sound of my bike. I never take it up past 5k at a stop though. I always bring the RPMs up a little bit before I engage the clutch though to keep from bogging, that's just good technique.

kinorton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a 1975 cb 750 Honda, a first taking off in the morning it needs to idle a little higher. So have to rev it a couple of times to keep it running, after that I feel no need to.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    INGOers, I do not own a motorcycle but wouldn't mind one. I think they are cool.

Question...

What is the point of "reving" your bike at a stop..... I notice this phenomenon is especially prominent with the Harley crowd followed by the crotch rocket crowd

Is this to impress those around the bike? Make the rider feel good about the noise? Is there any mechanical need to do this or was there a need in the past on older bikes?

I find myself rolling my windows up in these months as I'm not impressed with the sounds. What is the point?

I just do it to drown out the ABBA music coming from your vehicle. :)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Dont get me wrong, I've owned a few bikes before and I would be lying to say that I have'nt done it a time or two. It's human nature to make noise. Same reason kids used to put baseball cards in their spokes.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    I rev my engine for a few reason
    1) i accidently hit the throttle
    2) because i would like you to pay attetion to me giving you the finger
    3) balance between throttle and clutch (usually misbalance)
    4) my engine spinning will balance out the bike
    5) set off the decectors
    6) cause the chicks dig it
    7) have you ever heard a bike horn, it doesn't work very well

i don't do it to be annoying, there is a functional reason im revving my throttle
    even for those of us who ride, people stupidly reving their engines annoy us too

Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    Now that this mystery has been solved, lets move on to the next.

THE LOW WAVE

Every biker does the low wave to other bikers, why? Is it a secret club wave that you have to do every time or you get kicked out? I think that people in cars should do something similar when we see other cars and leave out the bikers. Maybe we should all do it in our cars at them to confuse them, especially when they are at stoplights revving up their motors.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Ugh. I hate when squids do that.

When they do that, start pointing and laughing at their mile-wide chicken strips.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    My bike is a cold natured well you get the point. If I just start out in the morning the bike really will not stay running on its own.

For the wave thing, I got nothing other than it looks better than doing the parade wave while going down the road on a bike.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    the wave is a bike thing. however there are certain groups that will not wave to each other. Most harley riders will refuse to wave to sport bikes or vice versa. Its nothing special just recognizing other motorcyclists. On my cbr i would wave to anybody on a bike except for mopeds, however sometimes it is tough to tell if its a bike or moped. I guess i was always one of those dbags who would rev at stop lights. i would just blip the throttle every once in a while to keep the plugs from loading up. However every once in a while i would get bored with the way my aftermarket pipe sounded so i would pull it off and cruise open header. which required shifting at 4500 unless you wanted to lose hearing. but every once in a while either to **** off friends riding with me, or just to let everyone know i had something loud, i would ride a gear out to 13500 rpms. If i did that you could hear the bike from a mile away and probably more. I would usually do it around harley riders because most of them think their bikes are the loudest things out there. Around here though most leos have a hard-on for bikes so i tried limiting my outbursts of loudness as much as possible.

and yes i am cool :cool::D

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    an idiot neighbors boyfriend or something regularly sits on the sidewalk leading to the front door of her house and revs his. man it ticks me off and makes me wanna do stuff i cant talk about here.

Yeah, we had this on Monday night... jackwagon pulls up to "hang out around 23:00, feels the need to hot rod down the block and back before pulling in, then revs it for 15-20 seconds before shutting it down to wake up my 1yr old and **** off my dog.

Then at 03:00 when they were out of beer he repeats the performance in reverse....

My neighbor is a nice guy but next time I see him I'm going to mention his "buddy's" habit. I don't think they'd take kindly to me running rapid fire drills with blanks on afternoons when he's worked from 23:00-11:00 and is trying to get some sleep before his kids get home.

I rev my engine for a few reason
    1) i accidently hit the throttle
    2) because i would like you to pay attetion to me giving you the finger
    3) balance between throttle and clutch (usually misbalance)
    4) my engine spinning will balance out the bike
    5) set off the decectors
    6) cause the chicks dig it
    7) have you ever heard a bike horn, it doesn't work very well

i don't do it to be annoying, there is a functional reason im revving my throttle
    even for those of us who ride, people stupidly reving their engines annoy us too

This is pure awesome! Rep inc....

I do it right before I take off to keep from the accidental stall.

Yeah, when I used to ride as a young man I was always scared of stalling out (because I did it a couple times) but that was a short rev right when the light turned, not revving high RPMs throughout the entire light.

THE LOW WAVE

Every biker does the low wave to other bikers, why? Is it a secret club wave that you have to do every time or you get kicked out? I think that people in cars should do something similar when we see other cars and leave out the bikers. Maybe we should all do it in our cars at them to confuse them, especially when they are at stoplights revving up their motors.

Huh.... weird, I spent the second half of my childhood in the country/small town and everyone waved at everyone for the most part. The ones who didn't wave back were generally considered to be "the ones to keep your eye on".... we were just being neighborly.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    The problem is that you consider it noise. I consider it sweet music to my ears.

I mean really, what kind of pinko communist tree hugger hippie do you have to be to not love some good engine noise?

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Very annoying. I live on a curve IN TOWN with a 20 mph speed limit. It seems like every HD that comes by is doing 40 and then slows down a little racking his pipes. To me it's noise pollution.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN

THE LOW WAVE

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/99091-the_motorcycle_wave.html

:cool:

Top Bottom