• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Wow. Just looked the cartridge up for reloading. Looks as if it might be extremely versatile cartridge to reload. Also looks like you could blow yourself up quite easily also.

Maybe this is the baby brother to 300BLK in the making?

If you’ve looked into reloading 5.7x28 then you’ve also seen how....iffy it is

they have a coating on the casing to help extraction and when you clean the casings you run the risk of removing that coating

Plus it’s not a very forgiving cartridge between minimum and maximum loads

I’ve had a couple PS90s in the past and still have one and 1 SBR.....I’ll keep with factory loads

Savage did make a bolt gun in 5.7x28 for a brief time years ago but finding them is beyond rare (which would be a good platform to reload for over a semi auto)

it’s close to a win for Ruger in my book especially if it’s more ergonomic but......needs a threaded barrel

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Does 5.7 defeat soft body armor?

No.

Not without armor piercing ammo, which is generally not available to anyone outside of LE or military.

Given that factoid, I have to wonder what the pistol/round is good for. Will it do anything that my CZ P10f 9mm pistol won't do?
    (Flush fit 19 + 1 capacity, about the same size pistol)

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    So who is going to buy one if proven reliable and accurate?

22plinksters video shows reliability looks good (600-700 rounds with zero issues) and accuracy looks good as well (Ringing steel at 100 yards).
    I'll be in the market for one, I think, but I'll probably wait for a used one in the $400-$450 range

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    22plinksters video shows reliability looks good (600-700 rounds with zero issues) and accuracy looks good as well (Ringing steel at 100 yards).
    I'll be in the market for one, I think, but I'll probably wait for a used one in the $400-$450 range

Are you thinking Ruger LCP II .22LR, or did I miss a video from 22plinkster on the 5.7?

Edit...Ok, I see he made the 5.7 video.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Coyote pistol.............hmmmm.

Yep I was thinking the same thing. Ruger PC carbine in 5.7x28 with a 20rd mag I'd be very happy varmint hunter. I've got about 13 coyotes in my back 40. I had them thinned out a few years ago. Doesn't take long for them to repopulate. They still haven't been messing with my chickens and ducks yet. Maybe they learned to stay away from my poultry.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    More info on the Speer Gold Dot round.

Speer-Gold-Dot-5.7x28mm.png

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/01/01/speer-gold-dot-5-7x28mm-ammunition/

Insist on more from your 5.7x28mm. Speer® has broken new ground for the cartridge with an all-new Gold Dot® load—the first 5.7x28mm round specifically designed for self-defense. Like all Gold Dot ammunition, the bullet is built using Speer’s exclusive Uni-Cor® method. The jacket is bonded to the core one atom at a time, virtually eliminating core-jacket separation and creating a projectile that’s accurate, tough and consistent through all common barriers. High-quality brass, reliable primers and specially formulated propellant produce optimal feeding and ballistics in 5.7x28mm firearms.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Seen a few on GB today. 1 at msrp and a few between 600 & 700. Hopefully they will drop down a bit once the newness wears off.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    This is so a solution without a problem. This combo is useless for anything. Check with your local range for permission to use on steel plates?

sporting use = limited
    hunting use = even more limited
    defensive use = not advisable
    barrel/gun life = limited time
    ammo = costly harder to reload

but it will sell :rockwoot:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This is so a solution without a problem. This combo is useless for anything. Check with your local range for permission to use on steel plates?

sporting use = limited
    hunting use = even more limited
    defensive use = not advisable
    barrel/gun life = limited time
    ammo = costly harder to reload

but it will sell :rockwoot:

In a nutshell why I don't spend money on 5.7 things.

Saw a guy on another board yacking about how he's going to get a threaded barrel and a can and shoot 55gn subs with his...lmao dude you just invented .22lr.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Yep I was thinking the same thing. Ruger PC carbine in 5.7x28 with a 20rd mag I'd be very happy varmint hunter. I've got about 13 coyotes in my back 40. I had them thinned out a few years ago. Doesn't take long for them to repopulate. They still haven't been messing with my chickens and ducks yet. Maybe they learned to stay away from my poultry.

Ok, I'll ask again.

What is this cartridge really good for? Seems like an over-hyped .22 magnum to me. :dunno:

And a PC Carbine in this caliber with a 20 round mag? But...just...why?? They don't sell AR-15s where you are at? :):

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Ok, I'll ask again.

What is this cartridge really good for? Seems like an over-hyped .22 magnum to me. :dunno:

And a PC Carbine in this caliber with a 20 round mag? But...just...why?? They don't sell AR-15s where you are at? :):

Considering how many calibers are now available for the AR-15, and the constant adding of calibers a mere couple of ten thousandths different than another, that add maybe a billionth of a grain of powder to form a new "caliber" the 5.7x28 fits right in.

As d.kaufman said, "Because its (sic) America, damnit" makes one more caliber of any size a welcome shall not be infringed addition.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Ok, not going to get one but must comment. For those saying it is just a hyped up .22 magnum, please tell me who makes a reliable pistol in .22 magnum?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Why does anyone buy a different firearm a different caliber when there are enough already?

Because they can.
    Because they want to.
    Because they collect.
    Because it's new.
    Because it's America.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Ok, I'll ask again.

"That just sounds like .223 with extra steps."

Top Bottom