• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    You made the right choice. This thing will feel like a turd compared to a ppq.

I hope so. So far it feels really good but I need to put a lot more rounds through it before I'm fully comfortable with it.
    The RAP may give me a reason to go to the 1500!

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I got to hold one of the new Ruger American pistols today. One thing I noticed immediately was how the gun seemed thick and heavy. It did feel good and pointed well. The trigger pull was pretty good too. It was certainly better than a stock M&P or a Glock trigger. The gun had the mid sized grip, so maybe with the smaller insert it would have felt better. I was told it will retail for below $450, so it seems like a decent deal. I was als told that Blade Tech is now shipping holsters to stores for this gun as well.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I got to hold one of the new Ruger American pistols today. One thing I noticed immediately was how the gun seemed thick and heavy. It did feel good and pointed well. The trigger pull was pretty good too. It was certainly better than a stock M&P or a Glock trigger. The gun had the mid sized grip, so maybe with the smaller insert it would have felt better. I was told it will retail for below $450, so it seems like a decent deal. I was als told that Blade Tech is now shipping holsters to stores for this gun as well.

You are awarded one INGO point for the first INGOer hands-on review.

Just checked and the Crossbreed Supertuck is already available for this pistol.

Last edited:

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    You are awarded one INGO point for the first hands-on review.

Just checked and the Crossbreed Supertuck is already available for this pistol.
    I didn't know these things weren't heavily reviewed. I should have taken some pictures. Another point I noticed was that the slide stop was quite small. I don't have big hands by any stretch of the imagination, and even I found the slide stop way too small. At least the gun comes in a hard plastic case instead of the typical Ruger cardboard box. It reminded me of a Springfield Xd case.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    This is an interesting and unexpected (by me) development. I'm actually surprised that the SR9 isn't more successful, given the trigger and how slim the grip is. It's a lot easier to reach the trigger of an SR9 than it is a G19/17. The only things I don't like about the SR9 are the stupid thumb safeties that get in the way when racking the slide and the lack of holsters and other accessories on the market.

I'm interested in trying one of the American Pistols.

I wouldn't touch the sr9 because of all the safe bs. Safety, loaded chamber flip up, magazine disconnect safety.....no thanks.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a Ruger fan and own a bunch of them. That said, I've heard more and more about QC problems in recent years. And then there is their history with pistol recalls... Just sayin', it might worth letting others be the guinea pigs for the first year or so? Ruger is also pretty good about (tactfully?) not keeping up with demand.

I've had 7 Ruger handguns since 2008 (only 1 was a revolver) and none of them have had to go back for any reason, and all have functioned 100%.

I'm ready to go for one of these, except Ruger said more versions will come. I may wait to see if they make one comparable in size to a Glock 19. It may be too hard to resist, though, especially once I handle one.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I'm a Ruger fan as well, currently own 4. This tank doesnt appeal to me at all.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    You won't go wrong with the PPQ. I got it in M1 and it's my favorite gun now!

I ran 3 mags through it today and the trigger is butter. I was shooting at 25 yards and was getting a sold 5 inch group. Not bad for a new gun that I was just cycling. I wasn't doing a hold hard stance as I was starting the break in. I think it's a keeper. I need to look at holsters. I can't do the IWB yet as I still need to lose some weight. I guess 135 pounds isn't enough to get rid of my jelly roll!

I still want to see the RAP as I've been a fan of Ruger for many years. I probably will end up with one once I get it in my hand.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I'm going to have to find a local place selling these so I can fondle one and see how I like it. If I could swing it, maybe get two. One for EDC and the other for IDPA.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I'm going to have to find a local place selling these so I can fondle one and see how I like it. If I could swing it, maybe get two. One for EDC and the other for IDPA.

*off topic again* :D

12356458_1494271950876073_1169218224_n.jpg

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Exactly what I want in a full-sized .45ACP, which is why I was going to get an SR45. Can't wait to try the RAP .45.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Will be nice to see some reviews after people pick it up. It should be available tomorrow if shops have them in stock from what I understand. Retail should be around the $500 mark, give or take a Jackson either way.

I just checked my main distributor. All allocated :xmad: But at what the cost is, I'd sell them well under that $500 price. I want to get my hands on a 9mm

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    So, which gun shop is going to be the first one to get them in stock? (Please God don't say Gander Mountain)

We've got four of them at Point Blank Carmel. Three if I buy one... :p

They're nice. We didn't sell many full size SR9s. Can't imagine ever selling one again now. That's probably the answer to the "why?" question. SR9cs do okay, but SR9s don't sell at all.

I am going to put them out tomorrow.

Last edited:

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    Well, I was just considering getting a SR9c as I do not own a double stack and have liked the SR 9c before. Just hate the safety, I'm a lefty and have no guns with manual safety's so I try to avoid them. Heard there was the possibility of a new SR replacement so I decided to wait until SHOT Show but I see this tonight.

This does not look like the SR replacement I hoped for. I think I prefer the good old SR to this, I really liked the slimness of the SR and this does not seem to have that. It's not horrible, but it's not great. I also personally dislike full size pistols so I'd need a compact. Appears I'll evaluate other options.

i do like the price though, good job there Ruger!

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    We've got four of them at Point Blank Carmel. Three if I buy one... :p

They're nice. We didn't sell many full size SR9s. Can't imagine ever selling one again now. That's probably the answer to the "why?" question. SR9cs do okay, but SR9s don't sell at all.

I am going to put them out tomorrow.

Ruger sent out an email about 5 free shots.

http://beta.ruger.com/products/rugerAmericanPistol/models.html#range-search
    The closest range is 92 miles away. One Of the "closest" ranges is a PB. Is PB Carmel getting in on this?

Top Bottom