6803.jpg

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    You beat me to it.

Just posted this on another thread ....

... Talk about love at first sight!!! I've only known about it's existence for about thirty minutes and I already want one really bad.

I thought I was happy with everything I have already and have not wanted another gun or rifle this year ... until now. (Almost made it to the end of the year. :D)

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Interesting execution of Col Jeff Cooper's concept. Suggested retail price of $995.00 seems a tad high for a bolt action. I wonder what a Savage Scout Rifle would look like?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ummm, almost. The piece still needs a lot of work.

Ruger got the weight rightish, but not is is not set up for the Ching Sling and the flash suppressor only adds weight (and since it's a Ruger it will need to be recrowned anyhow). No bipod. Does it come with a mag cut off?

I'd throw the flash suppressor over the berm, get it set up for a Ching Sling, maybe a butt cuff or some way to carry ammo on the weapon. Is there a way to shorten the LOP other than the band saw? (Looks like the LOP does shrink, but I'd still like less than 12.75". Maybe if they made it adjust from 11.5 to 13.5", darn Amurican gun shops and the inability to understand LOP, my $.02).

Ruger apparently copies the Clifton Arms M14 magazine adoption, too bad they did not copy the bipod from Clifton or Steyr.

Age old problem in the gun industry, the designers are never the shooters and the shooters don't get to design. Some day maybe.*

*I know, I know, if Ruger gave us everything it should, this would drive the suggested retail north of $1,500 and you might as well sell a Heym or Merkel.

Last edited:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have absolutly ZERO use for something like this. None.

I think Ruger could have done a better job with it as well, I agree with most of Kirks points.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    What kind of world would we live in if we only owned things we had use for? :rolleyes:

I still like it ... with the suppressor, without the bipod, etc.

Hopefully, if enough of you guys hate it, demand will drop (or never develop) and so will the price. I'll be able to get one and you guys will not be seeing them at the range. It's a win win for all!:D

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I don't understand. You can use it for any other job any other .308 is used for here--hunting, varmit control, target shooting, etc.

Can't hunt deer with it (legally). I guess by DNR rules you could use it for squirrel.:n00b: No expert but, there are MUCH better calibers to hunt coyotes with than a .308 IMO. A .308 would pretty much waste a pelt.

:twocents:

I was just assuming that was why shooter made the comment he did. Guess I shouldn't ass u me huh?

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Can't hunt deer with it (legally).

Deer? Sure you can, as long as it is with a predation permit.:D

You can hunt lots of stuff with a .308. If I ever go squirrel hunting again, I will use a .308 just to protest IDNR inane magic bullet theory.

I don't see why it wouldn't sell. It needs to be improved (what Ruger does not) but I understand why they market it like they do to keep the price point down. However, a .308 bolt-action rifle is among the most utilitarian weapon one can own (.22 pistol, .22 rifle, single shot shotgun, .30 cal rifle, etc).

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    You're correct on the predation/degredation permit. But how many people are allowed to use them. A small minority I'm sure.

I'm just saying, it would be neat to own one but FOR ME it wouldn't serve a purpose that any of the other firearms I own can't handle. A .44 mag/20 ga slug and .50 cal ML for deer, .22 for squirrel (NO tree sweepers for me here), and a .243 for varmits.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Found this blog post. If any of you care to, you could make your suggestions (in the comments section) to someone that was involved in the development of this rifle. Maybe your ideas will make their way to Ruger.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I don't understand anything Kirk said in his first post in this thread.

MSRP is about twice the amount of what I would give for it... but I'm no target shooting and I'm not dropping large game at 300 yards.

Just like the two Metallica fans told me when I told them that Megadeth was much better... "It ain't for you, man." The same applies to me regarding this rifle.

Top Bottom