• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I am still kicking myself for not picking up a ruger frontier scout from whittakers when they had them on clearance for $489. Basically the same thing with a short stock and no muzzle break. Looks like a proprietary mag, though which is the suck.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Looks like the Gibbs rifles :D :D (ducks, runs away).

Looks like an overpriced M77 with a chop job and no doubtedly expensive mags. I'll stick to my M70 Winny in .270 for "scout work" or start chopping Ishapores...

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Got the email last night and i love it.. no use for it though so I don't know that I will pick one up unless i finally get off my duff and file for the degradation permit.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Nah, I just need more edjahmuhcashun!

Yes, I suppose a little background is necessary. So . . .

What is a Scout Rifle? Let us take off our shoes and define our terms:

By the definition of the Scout Rifle Conferences held under the auspices of Jeff Cooper the scout rifle has been defined as a general purpose rifle suitable for taking targets of up to 400 kg (880 pounds) at ranges to the limit of the shooters visibility (nominally 300 meters) that meets the following criteria:

Weight-sighted and slung: 3 kilograms (6.6 lb). This has been set as the ideal weight but the maximum has been stated as being 3.5 kg (7.7 pounds ).
    Length: 1 meter (39 inches)
    Nominal barrel length: .48 meter (19 inches)
    Sighting system: Typically a forward and low mounted (ahead of the action opening) long eye relief telescope of between 2x and 3x. Reserve iron sights desirable but not necessary. Iron sights of the ghost ring type, without a scope, also qualify, as does a low powered conventional position scope.
    Action: Magazine fed bolt action. Detachable box magazine and/or stripper clip charging is desirable but not necessary.
    Sling: Fast loop-up type, i.e. Ching or CW style.
    Caliber: Nominally .308 Winchester (7.62 x 51 mm). Calibers such as 7 mm - 08 Remington (7 x 51 mm) or .243 Winchester (6 x 51 mm) being considered for frail individuals or where "military" calibers are proscribed.
    Built-in bipod: Desirable but not mandatory.
    Accuracy: Should be capable of shooting into 2 minutes of angle or less (4") at 200 yards/meters (3 shot groups).

Scout rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scout Rifle Taxonomy

ScoutRifle.org - The Scout Rifle Community - Index

STEYR SCOUT RIFLE

In this age of specialization, people get all wrapped around the axle around "what is it for?" Well, ideally, it is for everything.

Remember, it's a concept, not an actual thing. A Scout is a utlity in-fielder, not a star pitcher. Many of the Scout Rifles about are quasi or Psedo-Scouts (meaning that they do not meet Cooper's definition completely) like this Czech Mauser of mine with cut down stock, CW sling, and Leupold optic:

media1-1.jpg

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Yeah, I did too, until I decided I wanted a machine gun... it was a neat gun and a fun project, but it was one of about 40 that went bye-bye!

I'll build another some day....

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Hey, who makes that front rail for your Ishy? (Looks rockin' BTW! :yesway: , how much you want for her? :D :D ).

It was an XS Sights deal. they make them for Marlin leverguns, Mausers and Enfields. I did file a dovetail in it and mounted the folding rear sight from a Ruger 10/22. Just happened to line up perfectly with the cut down factory front sight! Wish I still had it, but it got sold about two years ago.

Here's a bunch of pics from when I was building it:

Scout Rifle pictures by Slow_Hand23 - Photobucket

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Yep! Saw and fondled one at Plainfield Shooting Supplies yesterday (along with the Chiappa Rhino! :D ). All I have to say is, DAMN, that's an expensive M77! Not terribly heavy, ergos were okay (medium limbed 5"10 guy), all in all, nice but not that nice. The magazine release was VERY finiky and trying to remove the mag would take some getting used to. PRetty good trigger, a little creepy, but not bad and nothing the aftermarket couldn't handle. Sights were nice, great radius length.

Outside of being a bit more than I thought it would be (just under 800), it's not BAD, but for it's weight/length/action, it's not a Remmy/Savage killer. Personally, I would rather have a sporter weight with a lower power variable telescopic. Something I know I can top off midruckuss (scuttlebutt online said that it's magazine only, can't top off top, couldn't test at the gunshop :( ), good power, lighter barrel for more even balance and nicer recoil pad.

Top Bottom