• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Age of Consent ("relations") is .... 16? 17? ...
    Marriage ... 18 ... ?
    Signing a binding contract w/o parental consent? ... 18 ?

make all that 21 ... along with all the (well ... legal) ones quoted above ... 21 ... then what?

oh and 21 to get a cell phone since kids really don't understand the limits of them. ...

Lol... cell phone straw purchase.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why not 25? Why not 30?

Society keeps delaying adulthood longer and longer. We now have millions of physical "adults" that have the behaviors of children.

Not that long ago, folks got a REAL JOB by 16. They had families at 18, with real responsibilities. Then we started pushing secondary school as a minimum requirement. Now college. We've ended up with a bunch of 20-somethings still dependent on their parents, and living in the basement (figuratively, or literally).

Yeah, I know. /rant_off.

The solution isn't the continued erosion of rights. Look at the places that have worn their rights down to a nub. They still have murders, even though it is extra-super-duper-illegal.

People didn't live as long back then is the very simple explanation. If you extrapolate what things would like like now, if that ("that" being the things people did at younger ages) were the case to day, it provides a reasonable explanation.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    People didn't live as long back then is the very simple explanation. If you extrapolate what things would like like now, if that ("that" being the things people did at younger ages) were the case to day, it provides a reasonable explanation.
    Back then? I'm talking 2, or maybe 3 generations back from myself. My grandparents or great-grandparents. Lived into their 80s-90s. Other than spending a few years kicking Hitler's ass, they went straight from Highschool (or even 8th grade) into the workforce. Had family in their early 20's.

Someone started another thread with a video, describing adults today that essentially have no direction. No motivation. No responsibility. Couple that with no or bad parenting, or even worse - absent parents (fatherless homes being a major issue), and we have a whole group of folks who have no idea "how to adult".

Raising the age ever higher doesn't actually fix anything. Raising our kids well just might.

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Wouldn't break my f______ heart if they raise the voting age to 21. UNLESS, you're in active Military Service....

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Back then? I'm talking 2, or maybe 3 generations back from myself. My grandparents or great-grandparents. Lived into their 80s-90s. Other than spending a few years kicking Hitler's ass, they went straight from Highschool (or even 8th grade) into the workforce. Had family in their early 20's.

Someone started another thread with a video, describing adults today that essentially have no direction. No motivation. No responsibility. Couple that with no or bad parenting, or even worse - absent parents (fatherless homes being a major issue), and we have a whole group of folks who have no idea "how to adult".

Raising the age ever higher doesn't actually fix anything. Raising our kids well just might.

Count your blessings. From 1900 till now, American life expectancy as almost doubled. People had to "get it in gear" a tad bit earlier.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you don't demand people work to pay for their homes, meal, etc., they won't.

If you don't demand people grow up, they won't.

Not all.
    But a LARGE amount.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Didn't a bunch of "us" get torqued recently when the .gov wanted to take guns away from old people? Something related social security.

To me, it sounds like the non-freedom folks are simply working both ends of the candle, trying to burn our gun ownership any way they can. Restrict it on the "old" end. Restrict it on the "young" end. Before you know it, there are only a few folks left in the middle.

And there are a bunch of supposed freedom-loving folks that SUPPORT this.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I think it is nonsense that a person is considered an adult depending on the subject matter.

To join the military - 18.
    To smoke cigarettes - 18 for now.
    Vote - 18.
    Alcohol - 21.
    Drive a car - 16.
    Sex - 16.
    Child support if you are a male - any age.
    Commit a horrible crime - 12? 13?.
    Income taxes - any age.

People need to pick an age for adult, and set it into law.

50 for AARP.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    And all of those are totally working. no college student under 21 has ever had alcohol.

Service members, either. There was *certainly* no drinking in the barracks unless you were 21 or up. And if your friend rented a trailer in the park off base ran by the retired 1SG? Absolutely no drunk parties there if you were under 21.

Nobody I knew in rural households were drinking at 15 or younger. That's for sure.

On a completely unrelated note, I'd been a cop for about 4 years before I learned running a still was illegal.

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    Maybe you just can't buy a gun if you're still a high school student?

That seems to create a morass of regulation not unlike how we constantly make our tax laws. What kind of high school? Public only, or private schools as well? Homeschooled? What if I'm "held back" and still in high school as a legal adult?

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    I think it is nonsense that a person is considered an adult depending on the subject matter.

To join the military - 18.
    To smoke cigarettes - 18 for now.
    Vote - 18.
    Alcohol - 21.
    Drive a car - 16.
    Sex - 16.
    Child support if you are a male - any age.
    Commit a horrible crime - 12? 13?.
    Income taxes - any age.

People need to pick an age for adult, and set it into law.

Gambling - 21
    Emancipation of a minor - 16?
    Marriage age - varies by state

Points are well-taken. Private businesses can make whatever policies they want and their customers can vote with their wallets. I don't plan on doing business with Dick's/Field & Stream, they're easily substituted. Walmart will take a little doing because of their low prices but I'm pretty sure I can manage without them in my life.

With government it comes down to the age of majority. I don't think the Federal government could get away with passing a national gun purchase age of 21 without a Supreme Court challenge. Not a lawyer but IMO there'd be not only a 2nd amendment argument but also an argument under the 26th amendment. To my knowledge the only age limits mentioned in the whole Constitution are 18 to vote, 21 to be elected to Congress, and 35 to be elected President.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Top Bottom