• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Thanks for confirming exactly what I told him Nate. The usual case for a shooter on their first trip to 600, regardless of with a sling, bipod, or rest, is not a high master score.

I keep telling him he needs a good 10-15 mph day to really get a taste of wind, and a good sunny day to see how mirage can be used along with/in place of wind flags. I'm sure Atterbury will provide both at some point this year.

Big thanks to Mr JRH. He has been exceedingly generous with his time talent and gear. Always willing to support the new guy who still doesn’t have a rear bag or mat or anything but a rifle and ammo.

He’s tolerated endless questions and philosophizing from me.

And watching him do what he does with that RPR off the sling is inspiring.

Thank you.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I'm glad to see this thread resurrected. I'm just beginning my journey into high power and would like to hear from others who either are beginning or experience high power shooters.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Some HP load development I recently got a chance to complete using 8208 and AR Comp. I'm using Hornady 80 ELDs because I can afford them.

8208 looks like it has several charges that will get you in the ballpark:
    G0VEA4C.jpg

6txGi6ZMJuQAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
    sTf8PmMAXPy50NtIAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

XTVA1ZXoHR1UHVtqivwyFagynSPbGmrBy61Av8B1NtAbTNpFYQAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
    w6jv5PI.jpg

GoA3Er5.jpg

whNzEoK.jpg

I think AR Comp is going to be my load though:
    KQoLmY5.jpg

All groups at 100y with bipod and squeeze bag.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Midrange AR Tactical is a GREAT division. I love that I can show up with a scoped AR and a bipod and just shoot. No coat or gloves, none of all that specialty stuff. No special glasses to block your eyes like the Palma guys use.

Very weird that very few people shoot it. We had mostly F-class folks show up, a couple any/any and some Palma shooters. I was the only AR Tac shooter.

It's possible that not a lot of people know that it exists. I did not until I read about it in this topic! I only knew about the iron sights divisions and F-class. Being able to shoot an AR with optics from a bipod is certainly more appealing to me and probably others who are not yet familiar.

NRA doesn't do a super good job of publicizing the shooting sports under their umbrella (they've let NRA Action Pistol whither to almost non-existence outside of the Bianchi Cup).

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    It's possible that not a lot of people know that it exists. I did not until I read about it in this topic! I only knew about the iron sights divisions and F-class. Being able to shoot an AR with optics from a bipod is certainly more appealing to me and probably others who are not yet familiar.

NRA doesn't do a super good job of publicizing the shooting sports under their umbrella (they've let NRA Action Pistol whither to almost non-existence outside of the Bianchi Cup).

This is quite true. Back in the day when I'd tell friends I shoot small targets with iron sights at 600 yds they said I was full of Sh1+. Now a days, it's more of a shame on the NRA since they've changed the rules on sights and added new and interesting classes to compete in. Allowing optics for NMC is a gamechanger for old men with bad eyes. :rolleyes:

(BTW, I'd go with 23.4)

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Yeah the near absence of vertical at 23.4 was weird. I’d need to back it up before I loaded it in quantity because my OAL testing showed 23.6-23.7 to be the best loads with 8208 yet, IF I give them the oal they want.

ELDs want to jump. The less jump I give them, the more the groups open.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Ah...be careful with that "zero vertical" load.

Some very, very knowledgable Shooters will choose a load with a little vertical if it means the barrel tunes in for less windage and a more round group.

I ain't that, but I ask my mag loads for something in the 1/2"-3/4" range with round patterns.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I certainly can’t dabble much with group shape tea leaf reading. I’m loading up the close neighbors of the smallest group AR Comp and 8208 loads to test sensitivity.

Top Bottom