• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    And thanks for finding that video. It is the one I was taking about.

Problem with Friday nite is not everyone is set-up and Sunday afternoon will find many tearing down or having already left for their long drive home. Maybe early Saturday morning is less busy, I have yet to try that. In any event they are hinting of moving to a larger venue several weeks later next year.

Jim Spencer (Filablend) tried to help me with the printrbot Simple Pro issues last fall. Real nice guy who knows his stuff about printers...with that said when he showed me the beta filablend back then I just didn't get it and honestly still don't. Guess I'd rather have more precise control over color assignment.

Larger venue (or most likely splitting it across the two buildings is my guess) would make it easier to move around without being in anyone's way.
    My thought it, if I know I am there for 3 days, I can afford to sit and wait a half hour to talk to the person behind the booth to see what's up. Whereas we got in around 11am, and then decided to leave around 5pm due to the snow we were getting back hom.
    If I can talk to half a dozen people on friday, then it'd leave me all day saturday to chat with most everyone else, and Sunday be able to catch up on anything I didn't have a chance to discover....

Having said that? Assuming there weren't any great 'deals' to be had (unless you were a youtuber and got lots of freebies) I also see the advantage to just staying home and catching up on MRRF searches on youtube the week afterwards. This is pretty much what I have been doing this week.

of course if many of you guys were there, it would make it more enjoyable... Hence my comment much earlier in this thread about trying to have a get together, and check everyone's machines out, have some beers and pizza, etc... (how MRRF started fyi)

I'd rather sit and chat with you all than a bunch of youtubers

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The Century Center in down town South Bend would be good. Notre Dame use to have swap meets and such at the ACC. That would be another great and probably even better location. The rent is really high though.

I really wanted to make it this year. :-(

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    How well does this tech do with really small parts? 1 gen Colt Bisley stirrups are made of unobtainiun these days and it looks like I going to have to make one. It's about a 1/4 inch in size, sort of like a small plate with two short rods stuck through it.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    How well does this tech do with really small parts? 1 gen Colt Bisley stirrups are made of unobtainiun these days and it looks like I going to have to make one. It's about a 1/4 inch in size, sort of like a small plate with two short rods stuck through it.
    A pic would be better reference.

Small parts like miniature figures can be difficult, or require sla printing vs fdm.
    However a plate with rods might be a non issue...
    Strength of course is another matter entirely

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'm with Robby. Need a pic. I tried to google it but I can't find much about what it is or it's purpose. is it a cosmetic piece? How strong does it need to be?

Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Well i got bored and started a new project... no surprise there..

decided i wanted to try building myself a vinyl cutter. yea i know...you can buy them pretty cheap.. but if my figures are correct i think i can build one for around $35-40.

Should run off an arduino Uno with cnc engraver shield with 2 stepper motors and a relay to activate a solenoid to deploy the knife. I still have to make the drum and the guide rods, but so far its looking good.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm with Robby. Need a pic. I tried to google it but I can't find much about what it is or it's purpose. is it a cosmetic piece? How strong does it need to be?

I'll take one of my Bisleys apart so you can see, it's a small part that connects the hammer spring to the hammer.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton

hopefully tomorrow i can get into the machine shop long enough to make the drum...

Nice! Speaking from experience, make sure you ground everything wherever possible. Vinyl running back and forth across the roller builds up static.
    I'm curious to see how the project pans out

Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    never gave the static any thought but your absolutly right. i never had that issue with my previous vinyl cutter. i will deff. add some grounding straps when i start wiring it up. i had to reprint the side plates....one due to some design changes..the other because it broke out when i tried to move it waiting on the updated one. the blade carriage is proving to be the most difficult part of the design. i got the drum made yesterday. i will try and post some more pics later today.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    never gave the static any thought but your absolutly right. i never had that issue with my previous vinyl cutter. i will deff. add some grounding straps when i start wiring it up. i had to reprint the side plates....one due to some design changes..the other because it broke out when i tried to move it waiting on the updated one. the blade carriage is proving to be the most difficult part of the design. i got the drum made yesterday. i will try and post some more pics later today.

We've never fried a plotter, but we've managed to stop/lockup computers, or the job crashes half way through the cut. Of course we are running 60" plotters with cuts as long as 200" sometimes. Our smaller plotters aren't friction fed, and don't suffer the same issues due to their smaller size and slower speed

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Friend of mine got a Flashforge Finder 3D printer. Pretty cool stuff... Not bad for $400. Now I'm trying to push the wife into getting one... She has a bunch of stuff from books and shows that she wouldn't mind making... so it might not be that hard of an argument.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Hey all.

I made it out to mrrf on Sunday. The drive only sucked until I got to about Tipton. Then it was clear sailing.

High fived Joel wondered around a bit. Talked to the lulzboy folks about their two head switching module thingy.

Lately I've been printing some D&D minis for an upcoming d&d campaign. I made custom minis on heroforge and then bought the resulting stls. I've been struggling with the prints failing at the last bit.

Thanks to the 5$ off coupon I got from matter hackers from mrrf I bought some of their abs filament . This is my first time using matter hackers and I'm having lots of problems printing with it. So now I get to do the temp dance again to find out with temps it prefers.

When using hatchbox I always use 245/90 but that's not working so I need to make adjustments.

Any one have suggestions as to what temps to run with matterhackers abs?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    No idea on matterhackers abs. But I've been looking at the peopoly or flsun resin printers for doing d&d minis myself.
    I think fdm just isn't worth the layer lines at such a small scale.

My printers do work great for dungeon tiles and scenery though

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    One mini came out pretty decent and one isn't great. I'm thinking **** hitting them with a heat gun for kicks since it's pla. I Amy also do one in and and give it the acetone treatment to see how it turns out

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Yeah, heatgun might be necessary. I learned how to get fine tuned retraction on my bowden setup printing Angus's torture cube.
    Acetone won't work on pla. great for abs though.

I just realized my link to the stream isn't working persay...
    http://66.244.105.216:8080 and you have to watch the bottom image (streaming image). I gather the previous link to the stream image doesn't work for everyone.

I'm printing Angus's egg torture test on one of the enders. about halfway through a 7 hr print. Tough call, at 100% size, .12 layers. I think it welded in the lower arcs a bit maybe due to lifting?
    Those should break away easily... but I am running into some knocking now at the height it is at. I don't run z hop because it really causes issues with spider webbing for me. It knocked a bit on his torture cube, so maybe all will be okay... but then again, I've not run a test like this on the enders before. Only the cr-10.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    If you get a chance, look at some of kuntry3d's stuff on youtube. He 3d printed an i3. PLA rails! And it works. He just printed a 200% egg

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have been MIA for a bit from the 3d printing scene. I haven't been feeling good. Med changes have been a bit rough but I am on some different stuff. Hopefully I will get back to tinkering soon. I am hoping anyway.

My last project was the tool holder for my mini Lathe. I need to do something different soon. I might do a 10-22 receiver next. I have really wand to print one since I build my printer.

Freebird: That cutter is a cool project. i can;t wait to see it done. I am pretty sure I have a cutter for my wife's machine. I can ook for it and get some pics of how it works. It's pretty clever and I think it could easily be added to your design. let me know if you want pics.

GPIA7R: There are so many things you can make with a 3d printer. They are so handy and down right cool to tinker with. If you get one let us know what you get.

FMJ: I really wanted to go to MRRF this year. I have wanted to for the lat several years. It just wasn't destine to happen. I will make it someday. Troubles with the car (I still have to address) and health issues stopped me.

On a slightly different note. I got an estimate on fixing the damage to the car from my pot hole escapade. All totaled about $2500. Ugh, I am waiting on the approval from insurance to decide what to do. It's a very low mile (for the year) 2004 Turbo PT Cruiser. I love the damn thing. I am hoping they won't total it. I really want to keep driving it. You can;t buy one for the repair cost. We shall see.

Robby: I DL'ed Angus's Easter Easter egg but haven't tried it yet. I also bought his newest tolerance test. I need to print both. I did ok with his last tolerance test. I am eager to try this one.

Top Bottom