• ...and so much more!
  • long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    56 minutes in & almost 50% done.

I think they are for printing on, they are the width of the plate, but about 3 in short front to back.
    I don't have a way to host a pic right now or I would.
    I could email it to someone.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    56 minutes in & almost 50% done.

I think they are for printing on, they are the width of the plate, but about 3 in short front to back.
    I don't have a way to host a pic right now or I would.
    I could email it to someone.

The cool thing about the 50% is it is 50% of the print height. Not the print time. If the item has a large base the print will speed up once it is past that area.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Well I thought I would update on my new printer choice. After looking over specs etc I decided to order a Prusa MK2s, definitely looking forward to getting it. Decided on it over the Robo for the heat bed corner compensation and the better hot end.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Well I thought I would update on my new printer choice. After looking over specs etc I decided to order a Prusa MK2s, definitely looking forward to getting it. Decided on it over the Robo for the heat bed corner compensation and the better hot end.

And there is a crap load of info, parts and mods for the Prusa. Let us know what you think it it when you get it.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Yeah, they send come crappy tape on the creality beds. usually it's all bubbled up.

By now the cat gcode should be fine. If you didn't know already, the gcode was corrupt in the past, resulting in it wigging out around the shoulders. If that happens, don't fret... nothing wrong with the printer. It's a right of passage.

About 18 hours into a 60 hours print I came home to hear my UPS beeping away like crazy. Not sure what happened, print was still going, but the beeping was driving everyone in the house insane. No easy way to shut it off without powering down the ups. Installing powerchute was an option, but I couldn't get a desktop close enough to plug into the ups (mount high on the wall in the closet space).

So I cancelled the print after determining a good layer/spot to try to resume from... In the end it worked, though I am off about .5 - 1 mm in the x axis for some reason. I was off 7.5mm in the y axis. I adjusted using an M206 command to offset the origin to compensate. So I will have a slight layer shift, but I can work with it on this print.
    Makes me appreciate a print resume function even more, although with the layer shifts, I wonder how helpful a resume really is if you can't shift to compensate

Will post the video on the restart, and additional info when the print is finished.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    The cat printed fine, on the 2nd try......don't ask....
    We are now printing the level knobs and some other parts.

Will blue painters take work or is it a special tape?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Painters tape should be find. I prefer glass bed and hair spray. JJ uses glass and sugar water with amazing results. If you can use glass, go for it. It is easier to clean. And stuff will stick great when things are dialed in.

There will always be a few prints that will get tossed. A lot less so as you get use to things and get it all dialed in. Don;t fret it. there is always a cure for a bad print. If you get stumped please post up. We will help you figure it out. Np.

i have a print on the plater at the moment. It's a base plate for the Ramps controller on the new printer project. I moved things around and it will look nicer this way. It's maybe 30 cents in the trash. NP.

It is not unusual for me to print a part a few times because. I figure a better way to make something. I do that a lot less these days. I am getting more experience under my belt.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    We set it to run over night, 2 of the leveling wheels are fine along with the fan duct. The other wheel was printing off the table. The person who made it did it so it printed at each corner and I didn't catch that when we started it. My fault.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    The cat printed fine, on the 2nd try......don't ask....
    We are now printing the level knobs and some other parts.

Will blue painters take work or is it a special tape?

nice! Looks like you are starting out well.
    There's always hiccups when starting out, but based on the finished prints I saw in the pic it would appear the printer is tuned well enough.
    Yes you can use blue painters tape. If you have issues with prints sticking, lightly clean the tape with rubbing alcohol. There's a coating on the tape that needs removed.

I run buildtack type surface on mine now. Lots of guys print directly on glass. There's many ways to go about it... but for starters, painters tape is cheap and allows you to get your feet wet in printing easily

Nice work!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    We're about halfway through the 60 hr print now...
    Can see the layer shift where i restarted the print just below the tops of the orange straws.

Had to use straws and hot glue to reinforce that built in support structure, which apparently is problematic on this model...
    Sorry for the low res. Screen cap from my webcam as i monitor the print
    2mglbn4.jpg

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Havent been around because ive been cooking up a new project. to explain the "why" for the project, have to share a little story.

I started a new job back in OCT. I now park 2 blocks away from my desk in a parking garage. So I can not start my Jeep from my office. So i got thinking about how i can extend my reach.

I happen to be a ham radio operator. Ham radios have pretty solid range, and have the ability to transmit DTMF tones (think the tones your phone uses to dial)

So i got an arduino, and a DTMF decoder module. I hooked up the DTMF decoded to the ham radio in my Jeep, and then hooked up a small servo motor to the arduino.

I carry a handheld radio in my backpack to the office every day, so if i transmit the right tones, the arduino will then move the servo. I designed and printed a small little box to hold the servo next to my spare remote start button.

Now when i stand up to leave my desk which is a 5 minute walk away from my Jeep i quickly transmit the tones to start my Jeep. By the time i get to my Jeep its a nice toasty warm.

im thinking about designing and printing a small holder to attached a 2nd arduino to my handheld so i can turn it on and press a button and it will transmit my ham lic number along with the start tone for me. I just have to get around to that part.

I also recently came across a kickstart project for a cable binding device. It looks pretty simple to copy the design of so i may draw it up in tinkercad and then print it in abs at 100% fill and use it for camping and such.

as far as other prints i printed a shower beer holder which is pretty damn handy.

cheers!

Top Bottom