S.E. of disorder

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No apologies needed buddy, I thought it was funny.
    I just figured being old school, you could throw low rider in the 8track and cruise low & slow with the grandkids. Lol

1st thought when I saw the car. Cheech and Chong all the way....:):

The body looks nice. The paint is dated. The suspension (like the bags/pumps on my 64) would have to go.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    “IF” I had an unlimited budget, I would probably build an Impala fastback. Ridiculous horsepower. Ridiculous meats on the back.

It's a classic body style. But I would never be able to get passed how big the trunk is and how much quarter panel there is between the rear wheel and rear bumper. But I could also see it with giant hides tucked under the rear and some serious cubic inches

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's a classic body style. But I would never be able to get passed how big the trunk is and how much quarter panel there is between the rear wheel and rear bumper. But I could also see it with giant hides tucked under the rear and some serious cubic inches

All if that rear hanging body actually helps these whales hook up...........:cool:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    In taking the BMW down for the valley pan replacement one of the about 20 bolt broke off flush with the block. Aluminum block, stainless steel bolt, no protrusion above the block. Now what? These thing are prone to leaking so I don't believe ignoring it is an option. I'm guessing about 1/2" of threaded portion to still be in the hole, the bolt is a 6mm so approximately 1/4". At this point the only thing I can come up with is heating the boss it threads into with a mapp torch and trying to tap it around with a small chisel and hammer but don't have a lot of faith in this option. Anybody have any other ideas?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    In taking the BMW down for the valley pan replacement one of the about 20 bolt broke off flush with the block. Aluminum block, stainless steel bolt, no protrusion above the block. Now what? These thing are prone to leaking so I don't believe ignoring it is an option. I'm guessing about 1/2" of threaded portion to still be in the hole, the bolt is a 6mm so approximately 1/4". At this point the only thing I can come up with is heating the boss it threads into with a mapp torch and trying to tap it around with a small chisel and hammer but don't have a lot of faith in this option. Anybody have any other ideas?

Use either a sharp cobalt or titanium tiped drill bit. Drill slowly with very little pressure and lots of oil. Then use an easy out.

Or get small round or radius tipped carbide burr. Turn the die grinder down low and be very soft on the trigger and gently grind into the bolt untill you can turn it with an easy out. Be patient and it will come out.

If the aluminum block has plenty of room, worst case scenario is drill it out to accept a heli-coil

Edit- when you reassemble put some anti seize on the bolts

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Use either a sharp cobalt or titanium tiped drill bit. Drill slowly with very little pressure and lots of oil. Then use an easy out.

Or get small round or radius tipped carbide burr. Turn the die grinder down low and be very soft on the trigger and gently grind into the bolt untill you can turn it with an easy out. Be patient and it will come out.

If the aluminum block has plenty of room, worst case scenario is drill it out to accept a heli-coil

Edit- when you reassemble put some anti seize on the bolts

Reverse drill bits..??
    I have a set if you need.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom