• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I can understand freshening the 350 to save some coin. But, what are your plans for the 400 build?
    400 will be .030 over, stock stroke (plan for now, original plan was 461 stroker), forged lightweight crank and rods, edelbrock aluminum heads and intake, solid roller cam and some kind of fuel injection system. Any way I cut it, it's no less than $6000 in parts and machining costs. I still have brakes, seats, dash wiring and correcting the front suspension geometry on the list of must haves... I also don't want to bolt the 400 after it's built to the stock 3 speed trans, I don't think she's gonna hold up long... And the rear end still needs done. Refresh the 350 and live with it while I get everything else done and get the parts lined up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    400 will be .030 over, stock stroke (plan for now, original plan was 461 stroker), forged lightweight crank and rods, edelbrock aluminum heads and intake, solid roller cam and some kind of fuel injection system. Any way I cut it, it's no less than $6000 in parts and machining costs. I still have brakes, seats, dash wiring and correcting the front suspension geometry on the list of must haves... I also don't want to bolt the 400 after it's built to the stock 3 speed trans, I don't think she's gonna hold up long... And the rear end still needs done. Refresh the 350 and live with it while I get everything else done and get the parts lined up.

The Olds has some things that have made me take a moment but getting parts sucks.
    I have built a few Ponchos and they seem to be pretty straight forward.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

If I were in your shoes I believe freshening the 350 and getting some other stuff done first would be the way to go.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Guess where I was at today?

CEF213F1-FA5D-45FC-9470-8023273C6AEC_zpspdacdbjp.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If I were in your shoes I believe freshening the 350 and getting some other stuff done first would be the way to go.
    This is the way I think I'm going. Need to do a leak test on the 350, hoping it's just headgasket. I really don't want to get into the bottom end. Will throw a new cam in and and convert it to a 4 barrel.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah there aren't as many guys out there racing the Olds stuff as there are the Ponchos...

In the day (late 60's early 70's) there were a lot of Olds at the track and rolling the street scene. I owned a 1970 W-30 that I bought brand spanking new. Traded a 69 442 in on it that I completely hated. I owned that car until mid 1980. Not the fastest car but it was one of my favorites. Sold it just before I met my lovely spouse. 88K on the clock and still mint. I had need of the funds. It was the Olds or my 64 El Camino. The Olds was worth a lot more. Did I mention I needed the funds. Had I known what those would eventually be worth I might have kept it.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    In the day (late 60's early 70's) there were a lot of Olds at the track and rolling the street scene. I owned a 1970 W-30 that I bought brand spanking new. Traded a 69 442 in on it that I completely hated. I owned that car until mid 1980. Not the fastest car but it was one of my favorites. Sold it just before I met my lovely spouse. 88K on the clock and still mint. I had need of the funds. It was the Olds or my 64 El Camino. The Olds was worth a lot more. Did I mention I needed the funds. Had I known what those would eventually be worth I might have kept it.
    I'm a big fan of Oldsmobiles. Good power. Those w-30 cars are the :poop:.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nope. Not gonna do it. Sacrilegious.

It may be a stretch but I used to buy/sell/swap cars faster than I have 1911's.
    With the Nam rolling through our lives cars were everywhere and cheap. I was just thinking how many I had at 1 time (the most) and I think between my partner and I we had 12 possibly 14. The numbers varied but that was the high water mark. 57 Chevys Biscaynes Novas chevells 3 camaros (2 were straight 6 with 3 peddles. They were great for build ups) you name it and it passed through our hands back in the day. 327's 396's and the occasional 427 were in the shop waiting for their turn in the rotation. WE would go to the auctions around the state and buy interceptors. They really were interceptors. Resale was easy. And profitable. Good days.

Reason I was thinking of this was the 2 Ponchos I have dropped BB chevy's into. Few were the wiser.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom