• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Next up on the fruit beer list is an interesting one I picked up at Cincinnati's Jungle Jim's. I preset to you:

Wild Blue Lager
    Blue Dawg Brewing
    St. Louis, MO
    8% abv

6bUsPu5.png

Appearance:
    This is a very dark purple lager with a thin head. It looks almost exactly like a carbonated Merlot. I tried to backlight it in the photo to give a sense of color to it, but other than the purple-tinged head, you can't really tell from the picture.

Smell:
    It has a very mild lager scent to it which is completely overpowered by the wholly-inappropriate scent of blueberry.

Taste:
    Like Welch's Grape Juice mixed with 7-Up and vodka. It's supposed to be a blueberry beer, but frankly it just tastes like Cold Duck.

Mouthfeel:
    It's a very light feel, like any lager, but the overpowering flavor of blueberry sits on the tongue and refuses to leave, even when first politely asked and then later when you get the bouncer to eject it for drunkly grabbing your girlfriend's ass. It also leaves a sticky feel on the lips, like they've dumped sugar into the mix.

Overall:
    This is a not-very-good lager into which has been poured what tastes like blueberry concentrate.

Letter grade: I give this one a D+. I really like the idea and I want to support microbreweries who dare to try something weird and different, but this just didn't work. I would like to try some of their other brews, though, to see if maybe this one was just a bad idea.
    While I can't give you a review Sweetwater Brewery out of Atlanta has a blueberry beer. My wife liked it and she also did not like this one so maybe if you see it and feel tempted to try it. I personally hate blueberries so I didn't even take a sip. Sweetwater does put out some really good brews if you run across them.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    95bd83e6-ca52-4474-8f58-90d75e247f7d_zps82640f20.jpg

Sunking Brewing Jungle Room double IPA

This beer is as good as it looks. The aroma is pretty floral with a citrus touch. This beer has a very strong hop flavor but it isn't overwhelming or sharp. It has a nice crisp flavor with a mild aftertaste. It is a 10% ABV so I am writing this review at the beginning of the glass instead of at the end. Don't feel I could give it a proper review otherwise.
    The cupcake by the way is a maple, bacon, and beer cupcake and is so damn good, I'm sure the Obama administration is going to try and ban it.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Upland Brewery Komodo Dragon Black IPA
    ABV: 6.5
    Dark with a light creamy head
    It's a slightly bitter IPA that gets it's dark color from the black malts it's brewed with. This reminds me of the fresh hops beers like Anchor Brewery Christmas Ale and Sierra Nevada Celebration. Good amount of hops and really other than the color you know it's an IPA. It's definitely not as smooth and citrusy as the Dragonfly IPA though.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    95bd83e6-ca52-4474-8f58-90d75e247f7d_zps82640f20.jpg

Sunking Brewing Jungle Room double IPA

This beer is as good as it looks. The aroma is pretty floral with a citrus touch. This beer has a very strong hop flavor but it isn't overwhelming or sharp. It has a nice crisp flavor with a mild aftertaste. It is a 10% ABV so I am writing this review at the beginning of the glass instead of at the end. Don't feel I could give it a proper review otherwise.
    The cupcake by the way is a maple, bacon, and beer cupcake and is so damn good, I'm sure the Obama administration is going to try and ban it.

One of my favorites!

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Stone's Smoked Porter
    5.9% ABV, 53 IBU

This is a fairly nice porter. It has a strong smoke aroma and flavour on the start, and a much smoother chocolate flavour on the end. Nice, creamy head that dissipates after several minutes.

20130228_151321_zps0df6e79f.jpg

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Has anyone seen or tried kentucky burbon ale? I have been looking for it locally but Indy and Louisville is the closest I've found it.

I have tried the beer. We also toured the ALLTEC facility in Lexington(brewery & distillery). I love beer and am fast becoming a fan of good bourbon. That said, my wife and I both did not like the combo. I am sure others will disagree, but that is whats great about ALL the options out there. It was last fall or before when we sampled the beer at a distributors tasting in Ft. Wayne and I really can not give a detailed description of the taste - only to say it was not all I hoped for. We know chocolate + peanut butter = Reese's YUMMMMMMMM. Too bad beer + bourbon was not on the same par.:twocents:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Rouge voodoo donut bacon maple ale!!

image-13_zps055d3cac.jpg

This was given to me as a gift to try since I love bacon!

Certainly bacon'esque, but mostly very smokey. The maple keeps it pretty sweet tasting. Sweet Smokey Beer. After a while its all too overpowering. I personally wasn't won over by this novel brew. Maybe splitting a bottle between friends as a taster could be appropriate, or drinking your favorite ale with your face in a campfire would suffice.:twocents:

hysteria

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Has anyone seen or tried kentucky burbon ale? I have been looking for it locally but Indy and Louisville is the closest I've found it.

I picked some up last night at the local shop. I'm a bourbon and whiskey guy normally and I loved this beer. I've got 3 more yet, so I'll crack open another and try to get some thoughts down on paper/here.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, 15%abv, pitch black, little to no head, licorice with hint of chocolate flavor, rich and creamy taste, very smooth, but can definately taste the whiskey/bourbon flavor. Great sipping beer!
    picture.php

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The Makers Mark tavern on Fourth st. in Louisville has Kentucky bourbon barrel ale, I'm guessing that's what you had. It is incredible! The only liquor stores I know of that have it are the liquor barn locations in Louisville, but if your in the Clarksville/New Albany area, stop in the Keg liquors or New Albanian brewing, those places have a lot of hard to find stuff. Matter of fact, I'll try to swing by the Keg tomorrow and see if they stock it, I've been looking for new beers to try lately, and that's a great place to start.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I've been in a couple different Krogers around Indy and they have it so my guess is it's the distributor who should be able to get it for you at your local Kroger down there.

Ahuey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Indy
    If you like Pale Ale, I recommend Gumballhead from Three Floyd's in Munster IN. It's can be hard to find so grab it when you see it. I compare it to the availability of 556.

Ahuey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Indy
    I picked some up last night at the local shop. I'm a bourbon and whiskey guy normally and I loved this beer. I've got 3 more yet, so I'll crack open another and try to get some thoughts down on paper/here.

They had a seasonal bourbon at Scotty's Brewhouse.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Hop Rush
    IPA
    Four Horsemen Brewing Company
    South Bend, IN
    9% abv

HRIPA_zpsc6218d57.jpg

First impression is good! Very dark IPA with a dense medium light head. Not overly floral or bitter as per their choice of American citrus hops to brew with. Different than what I normally imbibe. Sweet citrus up front with a mellow sweet sustain. What is different here is the choice to apparently include more malt; adding to the deep color and sweet (but not overly so) smooth flavor. Surprising easily drinkable for a 9%. Buy a six pack for around $10. Good stuff!:yesway:
    :twocents:

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Young's Double Chocolate Stout
    5.2% ABV

20130314_201410_zps052039f1.jpg

Despite it's name, this stout is really quite mild. I thought with a name like Double Chocolate, that it would be heavy on those notes, but it is pretty soft. It pours black, and forms very little head. All in all, it's really pretty smooth.

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    Young's Double Chocolate Stout
    5.2% ABV

20130314_201410_zps052039f1.jpg

Despite it's name, this stout is really quite mild. I thought with a name like Double Chocolate, that it would be heavy on those notes, but it is pretty soft. It pours black, and forms very little head. All in all, it's really pretty smooth.

i can vouch for the awesomeness of youngs double chocolate stout! a friend introduced me to the chocolate truffle, its 2 parts youngs double chocolate stout and one part framboise lambic raspberry beer

3rfunL2.jpg

the same friend also introduced me to my new favorite beer. Spaten Optimator

ZdYXZEx.jpg

Top Bottom