• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    Peanut Butter is one thing you will always find here. I like to keep a flat on the shelf

Peanut butter is good, but the best stuff won't last very long. Most peanut butter has partially hydrogenated soybean oil in it to make it creamy. That is bad for you. I was talking to an engineer on a job awhile ago and he told me his two year old son had high cholesterol. The first thing out of my mouth was "does he eat a lot of peanut butter?". The guy told me "he eats it every day". The peanut butter he was feeding his two year old contained partially hydrogenated soybean oil.

I eat peanut butter all the time, but it is the good stuff with just peanuts. Peanuts with salt isn't so bad, but the salt is just regular salt. The "no stir" stuff with palm oil is okay and it is creamier than plain peanut butter.

What Are The Benefits Of Peanut Butter With Palm Oil? | LIVESTRONG.COM -- Palm Oil; okay if you really need creamy

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert -- an article on why you should not consume most soy products

http://mywholefoodlife.com/2013/02/07/peter-pan-peanut-butter-exposed/ -- Soybean Oil = Bad

(Unopened)
    Pantry
    Refrigerator
    Past Printed Date
    Past Printed Date
    Smooth Peanut Butter lasts for
    1 Year
    1 Year
    Crunchy Peanut Butter lasts for
    1 Year
    1 Year
    Natural Peanut Butter lasts for
    2-3 Months
    3-6 Months
    (Opened)
    Pantry
    Refrigerator
    Natural Peanut Butter lasts for

5-6 Months
    Smooth Peanut Butter lasts for
    3-4 Months
    6-8 Months
    Crunchy Peanut Butter lasts for
    3-4 Months
    6-8 Months

Last edited:

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Well, if the SHTF, I am not really worried about cholesterol. Most of the things that you buy with much shelf life has a lot of sodium anyway.

We keep and rotate a large variety of canned soup here - the premium store brand kind. It tastes good, has a lot of calories, is easy to eat and you can have a good variety of flavors so you don't get tired of it. We stock up about every 3 months when it is a $1.00/can.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Canned and dried hot peppers and spices are a must for me. Not only can I make Ramen noodles enjoyable and have some nutritional value, but it's a great barter item. Ghost Chili can be a weapon if needed and some peppers do have medicinal benefit for some conditions. It's all about the peppers and spices.

He says, with some uncertainty....

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Ok, we eat way more peanut butter then there is an issue for expiration issues. Also, it is the perfect staple food if you are rotating and eating what you store. I may be a novice compared to many here but my theory is to have at LEAST a couple months of regular canned food on the shelf to supplement the long term buckets or freeze dried you may have. The reason for that is you know you will like the canned goods if it is stuff you eat anyway and it can be eaten right from the can or usually warmed on a fire or stove with little issue. I'd rather be adding peanut butter or maybe a can of ravioli to a meal in three months then wolfing Mountain House or rice and beans day after day. Just me perspective

kman1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    peanut butter --- straight up on spoon
    many a dinner for myself
    its quick and no cleanup in the kitchen
    of course its chased by a couple of beers

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Expiration dates on products have nothing to do with the quality of the consumable product.

I agree for items that are canned/jarred in an essentially sterile condition.

Maybe not so much for other things packaged in less forgiving ways. A bag of potato chips or a box of crackers can get pretty nasty after a few years (don't ask me how I know).

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Beer. Lol seriously peanut butter, canned tuna, and canned corn and green beans. Bottled water and coffee as well.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Tuna. It's good for years, great source of protein. I buy it weekly and change out the packs in the stash so we always have a fresh stash.

The only problem with Tuna is that there are reports coming out now that all the tuna caught off of California's coast are loaded with radiation courtesy of Fukishema and all of Japans other nuke plants that were destroyed. My wife and I were talking about it the other night and we're going to be staying away from Tuna for the next several years just to make sure we don't gobble up a nice bowl of radioactive tuna.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't store anything that I don't eat regularly. So we have no dried/storage foods. We have lots of canned meats, vegetable, fruit, dried pasta, beans, etc.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mike-O
    Top Bottom