• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It's a toss up between: Chia seeds, rice, and peanut butter. Great storage time for all of 'em, and each have their own benefits. If there's one I'd horde like a packrat, it'd be chia seeds; 1 cup of those and I'm good for atleast 3 days for food.

*Edit* Honey also... would make a rotten rat taste good. There's so many Favorites! @_@

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Dehydrated fruits like bananas, pears, apricots, apples, and meats (jerky) keeps a long time.

My favorite SHTF food is tuna/salmon in the foil packs. These are essentially MRE's, having about a three year expiration date. They are light, filled with yummy protein, and very juicy. Plus, the bags probably would be good to use to drink out of or might even work to boil water. But the main thing is that they are light, and very flat, so they store well in the pocket of a backpack.
    Just a bit of trivia, but could come in useful in a SHTF situation - You can also boil water in a paper cup, the water keeps the paper below its ignition point. True story, remember watching this demonstrated in a high school science class.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    We used to take a break on hikes, gather tinder in our immediate area, and have a contest to see which team could boil water in a paper cup first. Good ol' Boy Scouts.
    And yes to the matza. Jews; the original preppers. I've got a friend in Tel Aviv who will pickle ANYTHING.

Personally, i lean toward the rice.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    There are a lot of different things that I keep stocked (Nutella, being one)...but the thing I *try* to stock and fail at is tuna.
    I can't help it. I hit that stash more times than any normal person should and I even know "too much is bad for you".
    Is there such thing as being addicted to tuna?
    And also... a forkful of tuna on a tortilla chip...Mmmm. Man, that's JetCaviar.

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Peanut butter.

I stock lots of stuff, (dehydrated milk, fruit, meat, and veggies) but peanut butter is always kept up to date, stocked and rotated.

Top Bottom