• ...and so much more!
  • SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Nothing good can come from OCing.

[snip]

After talking with several law enforcement officers, and experiencing this first hand, if you cooperate and don't act like a fool, you will have a good experience.

First, he needs to provide some arguments that are a little more difficult to refute.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I didn't realize ATM is Mohammed, but it certain makes sense!

Regarding OC, there is a good reason why I don't do it more, aside from the fact that I spend most of my time in places where carry is prohibited (work and university). I'm not exactly a people person and don't like being the center of attention. Just not comfortable with it. Over time that may change, but that's where I am at this point in my life.
    I like a low profile too. Its easier for me not to have to interact with others by CC versus OC, but I strongly support someones right to OC anytime they choose.:cool:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Gross assumptions and misconceptions.

OC'd for years, and it hardly makes me a "center of attention."

People aren't all over me, asking me questions, or staring at me. I'm not some social pariah because I OC. I blend right in. Any and all attention I receive, if at all, has been 100% positive.

andrewjshimmmen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    indianapolis
    To be Honest there is no easy answer, but the general population will become comfortable with OC if they see it more often, and that means that OC will no longer be an issue.
    unless you are dressing like a cop or being an ass why would it be an issue? (to the cops or the public).
    +1 for OC :draw:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ATM,

To reply to the other thread:

Like I said, I understand OCing and support it if that's what you want to do. I just like to conceal mine.

Cool. I support that, too.

I used to live and work in East St. Louis. Everone carried, most illegally of course, and if you OCed that made you a target and they would kill you for it. They saw you as a threat (rightfully so) and they would neutralize that threat.
    I'm not in East St. Louis. I never hear about all these killings for openly carrying. Don't they file reports there? Any verifiable source of this info? Or is this just something you think would happen there?

I know you don't believe I understand OCing...but I do. It's readily accessible and possibly would deter most criminal attacks. It has been my experiences that shaped my opinion on the subject. I'm not saying I'm right...just right for me.
    Then perhaps you should have stated that no good could come from OC FOR YOU. My years of openly carrying have produced plenty of good - so have countless others.

I knew the other posts would upset a lot of people but that's why I posted it. I have my opinion as we all do and if I can start a conversation and get someone to explain their way of thinking, it would help me better understand where they come from.
    Your blanket statements may upset some, however they are very easily refuted. Your opinion may be right for you but I doubt it will cover me.

Instead, and I was warned about this, on here most users do nothing but berate others that do not think exactly like they do. I am looking for people to post their opinions and explain them. If I'm wrong, I'll tell you I'm wrong but it has to be proven to me first.
    You don't have to think exactly like I do, but if you ridicule something I do, you've gone well past opining on your own preference.
    I have normalized the sight of an armed citizen with my daily carry. I've had productive conversations with folks who had no idea they could be armed as well. I may or may not have deterred crimes from happening in my vicinity, but I most certainly haven't become a target. So you're wrong about ME open carrying.

With that said, I carry, my father carries, and I'm trying to get my wife to carry. I have a lot of family and friends that carry. I don't expect everyone to feel the same as I do. But I would like to know why everyone else feels the need to open carry vs. concealed. Everyone has their own experiences that led them to this decision and I'd like to know what they are.
    Why would I have to feel a need to open carry?

If I don't feel a need to hide it, then it's just the default way to carry.
    Comfort, ease and speed of access, possible deterrent value, visualizing and normalizing our rights to the general populace, etc.

If anyone wants to conceal, they should. If they post a ridiculous reason, I might discuss the reason, but not their choice.
    Do any of these reasons not to conceal strike you as particularly loony?

Try to avoid blanket statements and keep the discussion to the reasons rather than the choices and it will likely stay civil.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    "I know you don't believe I understand OCing...but I do. It's readily accessible and possibly would deter most criminal attacks. It has been my experiences that shaped my opinion on the subject. I'm not saying I'm right...just right for me. "

Then perhaps you should have stated that no good could come from OC FOR YOU. My years of openly carrying have produced plenty of good - so have countless others.

Ahh, but he has already stated that some good WOULD come from OC for him: "it's readily accessible and possibly would deter most criminal attacks"

He would rather NOT deter MOST criminal attacks in order to avoid the (real or imagined) tiny minority of attacks which may possibly occur as a result of OC. He also prefers not to have ready access to his handgun in the event of either type of criminal attack.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I am gonna do what i want and it aint your business... i may open carry...i may conceal carry...i may do both....i may not carry at all...i dont see why people have to be "right" when they cant prove their way is right...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I am gonna do what i want and it aint your business... i may open carry...i may conceal carry...i may do both....i may not carry at all...

That's cool, it just strikes me as slightly odd that you would go to the trouble of posting in this topic on a discussion forum if you really don't want to discuss the topic. :dunno:

i dont see why people have to be "right" when they cant prove their way is right...

Right is for each individual to define for themselves in any given circumstance.
    Though I must admit, it's just plain fun to challenge those who claim you're doing it all wrong. :D

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Right is for each individual to define for themselves in any given circumstance.

Are you talking about the OC/CC thing or life in general? Noone would be correct in saying this picture is right - in any circumstances.

pig-woman.jpg

But seriously, there are absolute rights/wrongs. If not we live in moral relativism.

Top Bottom