• chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You went to 2 places that "request" you don't carry there? :(

And I'm surprised a 5 year old girl didn't take you out first!

In states where signs have the force of law, I avoid stores that post. In Indiana, if I were asked to leave, I would do so. At first, I was pretty miffed at Starbucks for their "open letter". But some considerable time later, I realized: if they meant it, they would do the legally binding things required to enforce it. All such places have really done is sidestep a political mess they don't want any part of. They "gave in" to the Bullying Mommies, by writing "open letters". Fine. If an "open letter" that compels nobody to do anything could get Shannon Watts off my back, I'd consider it, too. (Still, I much prefer Kroger's approach of telling the Bullies to go pound sand.)

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    In states where signs have the force of law, I avoid stores that post. In Indiana, if I were asked to leave, I would do so. At first, I was pretty miffed at Starbucks for their "open letter". But some considerable time later, I realized: if they meant it, they would do the legally binding things required to enforce it. All such places have really done is sidestep a political mess they don't want any part of. They "gave in" to the Bullying Mommies, by writing "open letters". Fine. If an "open letter" that compels nobody to do anything could get Shannon Watts off my back, I'd consider it, too. (Still, I much prefer Kroger's approach of telling the Bullies to go pound sand.)

Unless things have changed in IN since I was last there in 2010, signs don't have any force of law. But since I also know what their policy is, I'll give my hard earned money to someone who really wants it.

I too wish more companies would tell the lefties to pound sand.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    But since I also know what their policy is, I'll give my hard earned money to someone who really wants it.

I too wish more companies would tell the lefties to pound sand.

Same here. I don't go to Target or Starbucks at all since they had their letters or policies or whatever. I also have gone to Kroger a couple times since they didn't give in.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The last time I went to Target, I open carried by accident as well!

I'd had my car burglarized in their parking lot several months ago, and no way was I going to leave my pistol in my car.

So I holstered it in my IWB hybrid and untucked my shirt rather than unbuckling my belt and getting everything perfect.

Shopped for about 30 minutes and drove home. That's when I realized I had untucked my shirt, but it was behind my pistol. Can't imagine how I could have drawn more attention to myself if I'd tried.

End result? Nothing. No comments. No confrontation. No issues. No small children disarmed me.

In retrospect, I got a few eye contacts from some of the ladies that I assumed was due to my rugged good looks.
    But in all likelihood was because they saw my gun.

Dwhizzle74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    New to carrying. But been ocing since March no problems no LEO encounters no one screaming mwag! Just smiles. Well one kid asked if I was a cop but that's it

Dwhizzle74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    I'll give that a shot next time tell em dead duck sent me? But yes on a serious note I'm very pleased I havnt had a bad encounter

JWoodlee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2015
    Southside Indy
    I live around a bunch of ex-cheerleader soccer moms and they flip if they see a gun because "Johnny" might get the wrong idea. I usually conceal unless I am out later in the evening.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I live around a bunch of ex-cheerleader soccer moms and they flip if they see a gun because "Johnny" might get the wrong idea. I usually conceal unless I am out later in the evening.

Sounds like a target-rich environment for Revere's Riders... Hiding that pistol will never change hearts and minds but showing it might start a conversation which has a good outcome like someone learning their rights and learning that MWAG can be a good thing! It's happened many times with me and it's really gratifying.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I married an ex-cheerleader soccer mom (yay me!), and I open carry a majority of the time. She even carries (albeit, concealed) on occasion, as do some of her friends. All of our acquaintances know I carry (or they need to pay a BIT more attention), as does my kiddo's new school teacher. All of the "moms" in the neighborhood are quite literally "soccer moms", and the families hang out with each other routinely (having a cookout at my place next weekend, as a matter of fact). I'm sure I was OC the first day I met every one of them. It is almost surprising how little they care about OC, OC, or JFC. Our kids play at each other's house, and no one mentions "guns" when their kids are over here.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Not sure if this has been posted here but worth a look in the context of this thread:

Concealed Carrier Robbed of Gun in Philadelphia

Make sure you watch the linked video, too.

I do not think my OC pistol could be taken like what happened here. The CCer who lost his firearm might have had a chance had his holstered pistol not fallen to the floor. No matter how you carry, do it right! Get a high-quality holster and belt!

Top Bottom